Is It Enough? First Time Making A Cake...need Advice...

Decorating By ladibugglet Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 2:01pm by loriemoms

ladibugglet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladibugglet Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 9

Ladies, I am planning on making my son's 1st birthday cake in two weeks. My sister has a 10 and an 8 inch cake pan. If I make them doubled or even tripled layered, will than be enough for 50-55 people? I am making 2 tiers obviously, so what do you all think. Thanks in advance..

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 9

If you cut them in the wedding cake rectangle (not the pie-shaped wedge), you should be ok.

Per the wilton chart, a 10" serves 38 and an 8" serves 24 (2-layer).

Here's a page from my website that shows you how to cut the cake in the standard 1x2x4 size. Notice the pieces of cake on the plates ... they are not teeny tiny. I always cut the pieces of cake this size at all the family events, and I keep an eagle eye on people's reaction. It's perfect. No one complains. Lots of folks ask me for "....a smaller piece please".

http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

ladibugglet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladibugglet Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 9

thanks...thats sounds like it will work...and most people dont even eat cake...i wonder if i should do cupcakes also though? hmmmmm??

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladibugglet

...and most people dont even eat cake...

Wow, you hang out with folks who are WAY different than the ones *I* hang out with! icon_surprised.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 9

If it was me I would throw in a coulple dozen cupcakes.
According to the chart I go by a 8" & 10" would serve 43 .
But I like to have serve larger peices and would rather have too much cake then not enough.
Good Luck and post pics when you are done!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Wow, you hang out with folks who are WAY different than the ones *I* hang out with! icon_surprised.gif

My thoughts exactly!!! lol My little brothers grad party was two weeks ago, we had a half sheet with 30 people there lol. Lets just say that thing was gone, and thats with 3 other desserts people ate as well!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 9

By my chart that would serve 55.. I think you'll be fine.. especially if your family aren't really cake eaters. My family eats cake, and I still serve wedding slices. It's plenty of cake if you ask me.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:

Quote:

Not eat CAKE???? NEVER!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:

If you cut them in the wedding cake rectangle (not the pie-shaped wedge), you should be ok.

Per the wilton chart, a 10" serves 38 and an 8" serves 24 (2-layer).

Here's a page from my website that shows you how to cut the cake in the standard 1x2x4 size. Notice the pieces of cake on the plates ... they are not teeny tiny. I always cut the pieces of cake this size at all the family events, and I keep an eagle eye on people's reaction. It's perfect. No one complains. Lots of folks ask me for "....a smaller piece please".

http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

Hey Debi, I put your link on my web site (it said it was ok on the web site) and my customers love it..my question to you is do you have a cutting guide that can be printed out? (I will give you full credit!) I hate the wilton one!! I think it is hard for people to follow and I get a lot of people who are cutting their own cakes these days. (Venues want like 2-3 dollars a serving to CUT CAKE! Man, I am in the wrong business!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%