Wood Grain On A Cake

Decorating By ChristianCakeBaker Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 3:41pm by missmeg

ChristianCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristianCakeBaker Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 11

i am making a birthday cake for my FIL and since he's a cabinet maker i am going to do a wood grained cake with some tools. i need to know how to make wood grain on a cake. i'm not an excellent artist or anything icon_razz.gif - but i've seen cakes with wood graining done on them and they look awsome. so, i need some good instructions on making wood grain. ANY advice is greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

and also, does anyone know if michaels sells tool molds?

thanks!

10 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 11

Do you have the confetti cakes book? She talks about it on page 205. Basically dye 1 lb fondant light brown and twist with 3 lbs white. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick and here's what's next-take brown gel color and mix with vodka and paint the fondant. Do this until you get the desired color you want. When I did the wine crate cake I also took toothpics and put a little indentation in the fondant to look like some imperfections in the grain and it came out okay. HTH

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 11

Forgot to add-I have never seen any molds other than teddy bears or ducks for candy at Michaels but that's just what I remember-perhaps someone else has seen it.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 11

I made up some woodgrain fondant by rolling together (but not mixing) wood grain colored fondant (browns -lt and dk- and black) and applying as I needed to. I didn't use any gel (in case you don't have any on hand). Check the pirate hideaway cake in my pics for how I used it.
Am going to make some more for a cake this week, for the cake board.
Good luck,
Wendl
)O(

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 11

Im a gadget freak so this might be too much for someone. But what about using an actual woodgraining tool that you can get at Michaels or Home Depot and rock it back and forth like they do to make things look like wood? I would use color and extract or alchohol to make it the right thickness and go over the cakeboard with that! Just an idea!

weirkd Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 11

Im a gadget freak so this might be too much for someone. But what about using an actual woodgraining tool that you can get at Michaels or Home Depot and rock it back and forth like they do to make things look like wood? I would use color and extract or alchohol to make it the right thickness and go over the cakeboard with that! Just an idea!

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

I have one, too, but so far, haven't been able to use it, the scale is far too large for most needs I have had.
Wendl

weirkd Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 11

Oh, ohwell. It was worth a shot!

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:33am
post #9 of 11

If you do a search in the forums, you might be able to find some threads that discuss making molds. As far as I've read, (and I'm going to try this in the next few days), you can make a mold for something out of gumpaste. There's also a picture tutorial in either the sketches section of the galleries, or in the articles section. I think it was about molding a doll's head, but it would work for almost anything.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

weirkd Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 11

Yah, I have used gumpaste to make molds but their not very resilient. You can also use silicone putty that you get at Makeyourownmolds.com I believe is the address.
But Candylandcrafts has a large selection of candy molds and their pretty cheap. And they also have a section that if you want to put your pictures on their site they will give you some free molds of your choice!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrig007

Do you have the confetti cakes book? She talks about it on page 205. Basically dye 1 lb fondant light brown and twist with 3 lbs white. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick and here's what's next-take brown gel color and mix with vodka and paint the fondant. Do this until you get the desired color you want. When I did the wine crate cake I also took toothpics and put a little indentation in the fondant to look like some imperfections in the grain and it came out okay. HTH

I did the same thing on my basket of leaves cake in my pictures. It turned out really well icon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%