Do You Use A Different Buttercream For Kids?

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 3:20pm by Chef_Stef

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 15

I usually use a SMBC for everything, but I'm wondering lately if I should make kids frosting a little more "grocery store" icon_wink.gif Not really, but do they tend to like the shortening recipes better? I have one from Whimsical Bakehouse that has shortening and butter in it, I wonder if I should try it? Opinions?

14 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 15

have any kids complained? Most kids will eat dirt if you put sugar in it, so I, personally, wouldn't worry about it.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

have any kids complained? Most kids will eat dirt if you put sugar in it, so I, personally, wouldn't worry about it.

some dont even need the sugar icon_smile.gif

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:14am
post #4 of 15

I'm interested to see what kind of response this thread gets. I often have parents ask for something that is less sugar so as not to wind up their kids, but have yet to find something that works.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:18am
post #5 of 15

oh brother! It's ICING! It's MADE of SUGAR, people!!!

If they want to serve green beans and tofu nuts at their kids birthday, they shouldn't even be talking to a cake person!

Geesh! icon_eek.gif

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #6 of 15
Quote:

plus thats part of the fun... load 'em up with sugar and send them home! LOL icon_twisted.gif

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:49am
post #7 of 15
Quote:

Geesh! icon_eek.gif

you got that right! lol what's a kids bday party w/out a cake. and cake=frosting and frosting=SUGAR! lol

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 15

No, I guess I just got a little self conscious after my DD said she liked a grocery store cake better than mine (she's 4, BTW and took it back immediately saying "We all make good cakes, mommy") I made the SMBC for my sons birthday cupcakes and some of the kids ONLY ate the frosting and some of them came back for seconds, so I guess I answered my own questions, but thanks for the laugh indydebi.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 15

shouldn't you just hand them frosting in small cups? my nephew would LOVE that. LOL

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:06am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelle66

No, I guess I just got a little self conscious after my DD said she liked a grocery store cake better than mine (she's 4, BTW and took it back immediately saying "We all make good cakes, mommy") I made the SMBC for my sons birthday cupcakes and some of the kids ONLY ate the frosting and some of them came back for seconds, so I guess I answered my own questions, but thanks for the laugh indydebi.

all kids are different. some days my boys want plenty of frosting and other days they say they don't like it and just want cake. who knows! don't take it personally - my husband doesn't like my cakes or icing, he won't eat any of it. his favorite was a cupcake made straight from the box with canned icing. he actually told me that was the best I had made!! icon_surprised.gif whatever!!! icon_lol.gif

jessnsam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessnsam Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:24pm
post #11 of 15

no i just use the same icon_smile.gif

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:48pm
post #12 of 15

I do-partly because I know that kids won't appreciate the flavor and texture of my "grown up" buttercream and it costs more money to make it. Sometimes I ask what kind of BC they'll prefer because more adults will actually be eating the cake than kids.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:01pm
post #13 of 15

I agree, kids will eat ANY Frosting! I do warn parents though if they order a red buttercream cake or a bright green buttercream cake that um, things at the other end are going to be kind of grey looking and not to panic!!

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:15pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:

If they want to serve green beans and tofu nuts at their kids birthday, they shouldn't even be talking to a cake person!

Geesh! icon_eek.gif

good point... makes me think of the trans-fat free shortening... you already know when you eat anything with shortening that it isn't the healthiest thing in the world! but let's take the trans fats out of it... that will make it all better!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:20pm
post #15 of 15

I do.

I use IMBC for all my weddings if possible (unless they specifically ask for something else) and I use Toba Garrett's decorator BC for kids. In fact, I actually *call* IMBC my "grown up icing" and the DBC my "kid icing".

Most kids I've had taste the two options have turned up their noses at IMBC because it's not sweet enough, and of course their little faces light up when they try DBC because it's what they're used to. And yes, it's full of sugar, people--that's the POINT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%