Any Raw Foodists Out There?

Decorating By Shakti Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm by loriana

Shakti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shakti Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 4

Hey all,

This is probably a long shot, but are there any raw foodists out there? If so, do you have a good recipe for raw marzipan?? I see a few online but before I try them I want to know which ones are best, or if there are any trouble shooting tips or anything.

I was thinking of making an almond paste and mixing it with agave 'caramel' from a raw uncooking book I have, then dehydrating it a little so it's marzipan-like.

I saw a recipe online that adds apricot kernals to it; when they're raw, however, they're really bitter...I mean at least I would imagine they are. Has anyone tried this?

Also, have you found any kind of raw anything that pipes like buttercream?

Thanks!

3 replies
loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 4

Hey Shakti,

I am not a raw foodist but my sister is. She is always coming up with creative solutions to cooked-like items, but raw.

Since martzipan is blanched almonds, it may be hard to get around it by using raw. When you ground raw almonds fine, even with powdered sugar, you will probably get almond butter. You may want to slightly blanch them, maybe for longer at less than 120F or whatever raw foodists consider the temperarture of cooked food. I would not add apricot kernels, they are very bitter. And... if I'm not mistaken, isnt there a substance in them that makes them dangerous for consumption of more than a few kernels? Some kind of natural poison in them.

You probably could make a silken tofu icing that would be pretty good. I would blend in a food processor, the silkiest tofu you could find, add some good quality vanilla and powdered agava or other powdered natural sugar. You may even have to blend cane sugar or agava or whatever you use to pulverize it into a powder consistency first.

Also an idea, what about Tahini for something? So silky and finely ground already!

I would contact some folks from Vegetatian Living magazine or go online to that source. I order it for my sister and they have lots of good articles on how to fomulate "baked goods" that are healthy and still raw. It will require a good deal of patience and practice though, to find a suitable recipe that is good probably. I wish you the best!

Shakti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shakti Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 4

Wow, thanks for the reply! I knew I'd get something if I posted on here; everyone on the forums seems so knowledgable about a wide variety of things.

It will take some experimenting, for sure...I would love to use silken tofu for it's versitile consistency, but alas, tofu is heavily processed and not raw icon_sad.gif

Tahini's a great idea!

Thanks again!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 4

Ah I see icon_sad.gif Can you make or buy a raw tofu? Are the soybeans cooked or fermented? By the way, tempeh is cooked before it ferments, right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%