Do Cakes Need To Breathe?

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm by loriemoms

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 5

I have a question: I have to place mini cakes in these little plastic boxes and then arrange them on the table.. The cakes will be covered with fondant and some royal icing decorations and a little gum paste curl. I wasn't going to put them in the boxes until the night before, as I am concerned about humidity and the cakes sweating inside a little plastic box. Should I put them in the boxes at the site (that way they are only in them a few hours) or do you think they will be fine? Or am I being over cautious? I just never put cake inside of a pretty well sealed box before!

4 replies
loriemoms Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 5

anyone?

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 5

It'll be fine. Not only inside a box but coverd with fondant. Fondant seals the freshness in

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 5

moisture on the outside of a cake is from CONDENSATION...

the water in the air (humidity) condenses out onto a cold surface.

now if the surface is sealed away where the humidity can't get to it..... then it can't condense.

this is why, if a cake needs to be refrigerated, it should be refrigerated if at all possible in sealed box and then brought back to temp still sealed in the box. the water can't condense out of the air onto the cake.

so, putting your cakes in well sealed little boxes will prevent the water from condensing on them and all will be well

(except maybe you from being dog tired and annoyed from dealing with all those froo-froo little cakes and boxes)

loriemoms Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys! That takes a load off!

And yes, these little boxes are going to be a ROYAL pain. (little ribbons around each one) They will look pretty once the center peices are setup, but I will be SO glad when this week is over! This place has been my saving grace as I have been living in my bakery room, taking a tea break, reading messages, then going back to the cloud of sugar. hahaha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%