Question About Cookie Picture Posting Protocol

Baking By TracyLH Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 5:47pm by GeminiRJ

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:59am
post #1 of 8

Hi! As a newbie, I want to do the right thing, so I think it best to ask the experts. I have cookies pics to post, but have some questions about protocol and what is okay. Here are the scenarios:

1) I made cookies for my father for Father's Day using an elenis design. Not my own idea at all - blatantly used their design ideas. Can I post them if I say the idea came from elenis?
2) If I see a fab cookie idea that someone else did on the site, do I need to ask permission first from them before posting the cookie I did? I see that many times people ask if they can use the design, but don't get a response. Is it okay as long as I give them credit for the original idea?
3) If I use a to-die-for cookie idea from someone else on the site, but can't remember who had the original idea to be able to give them credit for the creativity I didn't muster, do I say "idea from the gallery' or not post it at all.

Thanks so much from a newbie who just wants to do the right thing! :0)

7 replies
chyana66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chyana66 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 8

Hi TraceyLH, all your ideas are great. We all get our ideas from somewhere, whether something specific we've seen, or a variation of that. Giving credit, when you can, is a wonderful way to thank someone whose design you liked. Chances are they got the idea from someone else too icon_smile.gif

Can't wait to see your cookies icon_smile.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 8

As long as you give credit to the people or design maker, you are OK to post it.

If you can't remember, just post that you were inspired by a CC member but can't remember who.

Lots of designs (cookies and cakes) have been borrowed. Asking permission is a nice gesture but giving credit is a must. Most of us do not mind--heck, I'm flattered.

Welcome to CC

SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:17pm
post #4 of 8

Exactly. Very few ideas are original! Always give credit where credit is due. I don't care if anyone duplicates anything in my gallery, as long as they are straightforward enough to say that's where they got the inspiration.
A pet peeve of mine is the complaint that 'someone copied my design'. it's a public forum. If you don't want it copied, don't post the picture. That being said, it's only courtesy to credit the person who posted it first as the source.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 8

So glad you asked these questions. The membership here is very protective about each other's work, and will let you know if you forgot to mention the original designer.

But they will also let you know if a website outside of CC is using your photos, too, so their vigilance is a good thing.

Welcome to CC!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 8

Tracylh~ Welcome to CC!! I think it was very kind of you to ask those questions!! You've seen the answers already, so start baking!!!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much for everyone's input! I actually do have some of my own designs, but wanted to check about those that were inspired from other avenues. Sometimes when you are just drained and trying to come up with a design, it can be hard to come up with that original, creative sketch and then you see somewhere the 'perfect' rendition of what you had floating around in your head. Or, as I have learned recently, you look at the galleries here and say, "Oh! That is TOO cute!" and resist the urge to start rolling dough when you should be making dinner. Anyways, thanks so much and I will start to gather some photos!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

"Oh! That is TOO cute!" and resist the urge to start rolling dough when you should be making dinner.

That's what take-out is for!

I think everyone starts out by copying, and then adapting and modifying, the designs they see that were made by someone else. I think it's a compliment to that designer, as long as you give credit to them and don't say it's "yours". And you'll find that there are times when you'll come up with something you think is 100% yours, only to see that someone else has beaten you to the punch! I can't wait to see your cookies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%