Slight Problem With A Recipe...

Decorating By Jayde Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm by Elserj

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:51am
post #1 of 8

I was trying out some new recipes (on my guinea pig friends icon_biggrin.gif ) and I made a chocolate cupcake with peanut butter/dark chocolate ganache swirled together on top. Everyone LOVED them, but they also commented on how rich they were. I tried the icing combo, and they were right they were awfully sweet and rich.

Does anyone happen to have an idea on how to cut the richness without losing the chocolate/peanut butter combo?

7 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 8

You'll have to post the icing recipe for us to help you cut the richness of it, but the first thing I would do is try the icing on a yellow cupcake, to see if the plain cake cuts the sweetness.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 8

umm . . . I don't understand the problem. Sweet + rich = good.

Jayde Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 8

Well I took the Silky Peanut Butter recipe and then promptly followed NONE of the directions/measurements.

The chocolate ganache was just cream, butter, and bittersweet chocolate. The peanut butter filling was peanut butter, brown sugar, cream, and butter. It just was really sweet, almost too sweet, and you couldnt eat it without a large glass of milk.

I dont know Leahs, they were commenting on it like it was a bad thing, it being rich. I have a cake this weekend, that I am supposed to use the peanut butter cup filling, and I dont want everyone to not eat cake, or complain about the cake. I guess I should just leave the recipe the way it is, because everyone ate all the darn cupcakes...There was not a single crumb left in the house.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 8

I would take the butter out of the ganache. You certainly don't need it. I'd probably take the butter out of the peanut butter filling also. You might try cutting back the brown sugar by half.

Jayde Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks Leahs, I will try your suggestions.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 8

you know.. I am one who doesn't care for the richness of a chocolate cake with choco icing.. just WAY to rich and sweet for me... I would think a nice peanut butter cupcake would do wonders also icon_wink.gif

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 8

Personally, I love this chocolate-pb frosting recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2170-Chocolate-Peanut-Butter-Fudge-Frosting.html

See how that works for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%