Martha Stewart Red Velvet Cake

Baking By Price Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 4:20pm by Normita

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:54am
post #1 of 9

I've never had much luck making Red Velvet Cake. Whenever I would make it, it would never raise very high for me and was always flat and dense, so I just stopped trying to make it. About 6 months ago I bought "Martha Stewarts Wedding Cakes" book. It has a Red Velvet Cake recipe. This weekend I decided to give it a try. The cake turned out great. It got nice and high and moist. The texture is perfect. If your looking for a good recipe, you might want to give it a try. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

8 replies
cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:01am
post #2 of 9

I have her RV cake recipe and have often thought about trying it - but I'm really partial to my recipe, but it is tempermental! ...so thanks for the feedback! That makes me want to test it out!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:23am
post #3 of 9

I just made her red velvet recipe and oh my....it was sooooo good icon_smile.gif

I was in search of the perfect red velvet and I think I found it icon_smile.gif

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:37am
post #4 of 9

I gotta admit I am not a lover of all things Martha.....but I do love her RV recipe. I found it in her cupcakes book that my hubby so lovingly bought me even though I protested. Really glad he didn't listen to me because I have tried dozens of reciped and loved every one!!

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:53am
post #5 of 9

hhhmmm I have only ever baked cakemanraven's recipe and so far I like it. It tastes good, but the red isn't as red as I'd like.

Would anyone mind posting the martha stewart recipe? I'd love to give it a try!

Sara

Normita Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:31am
post #6 of 9

http://inspiredbymichelleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/beautiful-christening-cake-diamante-inspired-by-michelle-cake-designs.jpg

If you like for the cake to be more red you can always add more food coloring.

Simply southern...what other Martha recipe do u like?

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 9

Normita, here is my list of recipes tried from the Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book:
Chocolate Chip with dark chocolate frosting
Carrot with Cream cheese (CC) frosting
Coconut w 7 minute frosting
Devil's food w choc ganache frosting
Chocolate Malted w fluffy vanilla frost
Tiramisu w marscapone frsot
Banana-Pecan w Caramel BC
Blueberries & Cream w homemade whipped cream fros
PB & J w PB frosting
Brown Sugar Pund Cakes w brown butter icing
Stout Cupcakes
Chai - Tea w condensed milk icing
Strawberry Jam Tea cakes w citrus glaze
Marthas Meyer Lemon Cupcakes
Mint filled brownie cupcakes
Snickerdoodle w 7 min frost
Maple-sweetned carrot w maple CC frost
Hummingbird w CC icing & dried pineapple flowers

So overall I loved all of these, I did however find another Carrot Cake recipe that i liked more so I use it now and when i make the maple sweetened i just follow the recipe from Marthas cookbook but sub my carrot cake recipe. I have a Stout recipe dating back in my family since 1896, it came from Dublin,Ireland where my family is from and has long since been a favorite with my family. I tried Marthas and it's not bad but it's not my families sooooo no go for me LOL. The chair tea cupcakes are fantastic but even better when paired with a light ginger frosting. The mint filled.............OH MY GOOD!!! Those are probably my personal fav cupcake ever, I sometimes add white chocolate peppermint cream cheese frosting and it turns the delicious cupcakes into a sinful treat!!

ANyway HTH and I highly recommend that book it gives tons of recipes but also tips on decorating, ideas for parties, and just overall a really helpful recipe book. I paid $17 at my local Homegoods! Another one that I love is CUPCAKES by Elinor Klivans, she also has a deck set out thats fantastic!

Normita Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarascakecreations

hhhmmm I have only ever baked cakemanraven's recipe and so far I like it. It tastes good, but the red isn't as red as I'd like.

Would anyone mind posting the martha stewart recipe? I'd love to give it a try!

Sara

I'm such a dork!!! I attached the wrong link...this should work
http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/red-velvet-cake

Normita Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 9

Wow...thanks simplysouthern icon_smile.gif

Are those cupcake recipes, or can they be converted into cakes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%