Contents Of A Customer Newsletter

Business By Tomoore Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 11:33pm by indydebi

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:40am
post #1 of 20

Id like to start a customer newsletter. Any ideas of what I can talk about?

I will feature a new cake design(s) (probably 1 or 2 seasonal and 1 wedding), but Im stumped about what else I could talk about. Any ideas?

19 replies
poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #2 of 20

How about tips on

How to properly store a cake for a wedding or other event

How to cut a cake to get the correct number of servings - even though they can find this online you can use it as a filler item for the letter

Some basic recipes doesn't all have to be cake related can be anything from cookies to snacks

If you have sampled any new baking pans or products you can write up a simple review on it (like if you liked it or not)

Tips on how to throw a party (you can find this info online and rewrite in your own words)

Bridal/wedding tips

HTH

Tomoore Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:49am
post #3 of 20

Those are great ideas. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:21am
post #4 of 20

Also any 'specials'. I sent out a Valentine's day and picked up three orders from it.

And maybe a "Vendor Spotlight" where you spotlight a particular vendor you like working with

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:03am
post #5 of 20

You can also insert a fun thing like "kids corner" or something & give instructions for fun baking projects, or maybe season items like ideas for Halloween cupcakes. You can find a lot of ideas online. If you have any recipes for altering cake box recipes (like "the cake doctor"), so "the housewife" can make something really cool & perhaps fool her family/friends that SHE actually made it..... If I were receiving it & I wasn't a Baker, but I liked to do scrapbooking/crafts - something like "cupcake centerpieces" or "cookie on a stick" would be cool. Sounds fun! Good luck with it!

HammIamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HammIamm Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 20

Are you using a program to send out a new letter?? are you going to have an option on your website for people to sign up???

please let me know i think this would be great!
thanks

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammIamm

Are you using a program to send out a new letter?? are you going to have an option on your website for people to sign up???

please let me know i think this would be great!
thanks

I use one - I have them opt in on my website for a chance to win a free cake. Each month my subscribers are automatically entered to win a cake or cupcakes. By sending them something ONE time per month it keeps my business name in their mind when they think of cake.

You have to use a 'tickler' to get them to sign up. I don't make an eloborate free CAKE. I give them a few choices to choose from. Something simple for me to do and it's also tax deductible. icon_lol.gif They can choose between a cake or cupcakes. I also give them the option of applying the $50 free cake money towards a larger purchase. I've had several that have upgraded for a birthday cake which means I actually made money on the 'free' cake. I give them 12 months to cash in.

I use the tips I gave above in my letter. It works great. I also add a hidden stat counter to my newsletter to track how many of my subscribers view it each month and I'd say more than 1/2 view the letter.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 20

I like this idea of a newsletter. I'd be interested to see yours if you wouldn't mind sharing when you launch it.

Tomoore Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 20

Hamm: I plan to use constantcontact.com

Bob: Absolutely! I plan to work on it over the next week.

All: Great feedback. Thanks so much!

Tomoore Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #10 of 20

Hamm: I plan to use constantcontact.com

Bob: Absolutely! I plan to work on it over the next week.

All: Great feedback. Thanks so much!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 20

Maybe you could feature a food or ingredient of the month, explain its origins, flavor, history, etc., and include a recipe for that food/ingred.

I'm thinking things like Red Velvet Cake, or mascarpone cheese.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:45pm
post #12 of 20

You could also include an article on why cakes cost so much. I can't tell you how many customers say "It's just sugar and flour!" Ah, not entirely, no... icon_confused.gif

And maybe an article on fondant -- what it is, the taste factor (not all fondants are created equal...) etc. etc. It's something to think about... icon_rolleyes.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:47pm
post #13 of 20

THEMES & TRENDS

so...new trends in wedding cakes (and show samples of your work)

or new themes -- themes party planning...

hot example of the moment -- WALL-E or IronMan theme

Tomoore Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:19pm
post #14 of 20

oooo...I really like the fondant idea. I do get A LOT of inquiries on that!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 20

The first thing I thought of was an article on the different types of icing: American buttercreams, seven minute frosting, boiled bc, SMBC, IMBC, fondant, rolled bc, etc.

HTH

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:34am
post #16 of 20

Another thing I get queried about quite a bit is Ace of Cakes -- some of these cake shows do some amazing stuff and make it look so simple to the novice, but when they come to me with these outrageous ideas I tell them the reality of it "if you do this, this may happen..." sort of thing and they say "but Duff did it..." yada, yada, yada... They just don't understand the dynamics of putting a cake together and the cost factor and the time factor involved.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #17 of 20

I have done a weekly e-newsletter for over a year now. In each, I provide a reminder of the current week's schedule; upcoming "booked"/available dates; updated referral discounts; recap of new photos that have been added the previous week on my web site; congrats to the wedding couple(s) that I provided the cake(s) for over the weekend, as well as, a little bit about the facility where the reception took place; weekly specials; upcoming holiday specials; customer bd's/ann's, etc. I have had only two requests to remove a client from this list out of about 150 in the past year. Brings in a lot of orders for me, plus, when customers SEE how busy you are, and how quickly your days are booking, they want their names down on your schedule.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:44pm
post #18 of 20

i tihink that the newsletter is a brilliant idea! here's my 2-cents:

customer testimonials

photographs of customer-events

a checklist for customers BEFORE they approach the decorator (to save you the stress)...budget, weather considerations, indoors/outdoors, allergies to consider, distance to travel

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm
post #19 of 20

How about addressing some misconceptions out there? Like the "dummy cake with the real cake in the kitchen" trend.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:33pm
post #20 of 20

photographs of customer events is a great idea! People luv seeing themselves promoted on biz materials ..... that's why I try to get a pic of the bride and groom either going thru the buffet line or cutting the cake so I can put it on my Flickr site. Brides LUV telling their friends "Look at me! I'm on her website!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%