Newbie With Wedding Cake /fondant Questions

Decorating By belle1627 Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 3:55am by leah_s

belle1627 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belle1627 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 6

I LOVE this site, I have found that hours pass by without notice just looking through the pics, there are some talented decorators on here.

I have taken the courses and made cakes for friends and family. I have a friend who I will be making a 4 tiered wedding cake for. I have a few questions if I can.

1. She wants black and white alternating tiers, will the black fondant bleed?
2. I am going to try the white chocolate fondant receipe I saw on here, is there a dark chocolate recipe, and then do I just add black colouring to it?? I have seen the satin ice, I may just try that??? I'm in Canada, (toronto).
3. She saw a pic of a cake with a round and then hexagon, round, hexagon. I have covered round with fondant but I would imagine that the hexagon might be a challenge, any advice??
4. Anyone have any advice for this first timer to make this go off without a hitch and not a nightmare!!!!!

Thanks for all your help.

5 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle1627

I LOVE this site, I have found that hours pass by without notice just looking through the pics, there are some talented decorators on here.

I have taken the courses and made cakes for friends and family. I have a friend who I will be making a 4 tiered wedding cake for. I have a few questions if I can.

1. She wants black and white alternating tiers, will the black fondant bleed?
2. I am going to try the white chocolate fondant receipe I saw on here, is there a dark chocolate recipe, and then do I just add black colouring to it?? I have seen the satin ice, I may just try that??? I'm in Canada, (toronto).
3. She saw a pic of a cake with a round and then hexagon, round, hexagon. I have covered round with fondant but I would imagine that the hexagon might be a challenge, any advice??
4. Anyone have any advice for this first timer to make this go off without a hitch and not a nightmare!!!!!

Thanks for all your help.

Hi, I'll take a stab at your questions!

1. No, the black fondant shouldn't bleed. Satin Ice has a very nice, vivid black fondant. FYI

2. The hexs are not difficult at all, just like a square, do the corners first, the rest should fall into place.

3. Do a practice type cake, be confident in your skills!

HTH! Jen icon_smile.gif[/b]

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:14am
post #3 of 6

My first fondant covered cake was a hex...very easy. You won't have a problem, just do a small practice cake.

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #4 of 6

I love black satin ice!! If you use white to start with you have to use so much black coloring that the fondant gets soft and impossible to work with.

As far as knowing all the cool details of covering cake in fondant, I got Sharon's dvd's and never looked back. I had to do a cake recently and whatched her dvd the night before, i have never had a cake go smoother.

here's a link:

http://sugaredproductions.com/Fondant_DVD.html

She has all the fun tools you need too!

belle1627 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belle1627 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:43am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLlama

I love black satin ice!! If you use white to start with you have to use so much black coloring that the fondant gets soft and impossible to work with.

As far as knowing all the cool details of covering cake in fondant, I got Sharon's dvd's and never looked back. I had to do a cake recently and whatched her dvd the night before, i have never had a cake go smoother.

here's a link:

http://sugaredproductions.com/Fondant_DVD.html

She has all the fun tools you need too!

Thanks everyone for the tips, I think I will get those videos, they look awesome. I am also going to get the Satin Ice. One more question though, does the black taste good or should I get the chocolate and colour it black??

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #6 of 6

The black SatinIce is actually vanilla. Close your eyes and you probably won't know what color you're eating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%