Do You Charge For Delivery?

Decorating By knel Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 1:13pm by JenniferMI

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 15

Just wondering if you charge for delivery. If so, what do you charge? I am meeting someone 1/2 way, but it's still an hour's drive. Clueless!

14 replies
stlouiscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlouiscake Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 15

I only offer delivery for wedding cakes. Other cakes must be picked up. For delivery charges, figure your gas and time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 15

I only deliver wedding cakes (i.e. stacked/tiered cakes for 75 or more) and anything outside my delivery area is a $50 minimum charge with the actual rate at $1.25 per round trip mile.

MandysCakeandCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandysCakeandCandy Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 15

I always deliver and set up my cakes. I charge $60.00 That is the going rate in Bham. I do not want somone else to toutch my cake, beacause if they mess it up it looks bad on you.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:04am
post #5 of 15

With me, local (within 25 miles) delivery is free with orders over $350, beyond that, and for orders less than that - I mapquest it and charge $50 per hour (round trip).

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:15am
post #6 of 15

I charge per serving for tiered cakes which includes local delivery. If someone wants just a regular single layer cake (or anything else) delivered, I charge $15 for local (within 15 miles) and .50 mile for each additional.

I did not, however, come up with this myself, lol. It was someone here on CC that I got that from. HTH

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:54am
post #7 of 15

I deliver within 15 miles for free, and then I charge $0.35/mi after that..... sounds like I should probably increase that to about $0.50... I always include delivery for free with my wedding cake orders as well, unless they are delivered out of my 15 mile radius. My website designer was also helping with thoughts for my business & thought "free delivery" would be a huge draw. Well, it was & is, and now I feel I have a very good customer base & can probably start charging for delivery. Good luck with your decision!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:55am
post #8 of 15

I only deliver wedding cakes, and I charge LOTS.

My TIME is very expensive.

Of course, if they don't want to pay then they can always pick up the cake, which many people do. I really explain to them that they are responsible for the cake from the moment it leaves my countertop, and make them sign a waiver, too.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:17am
post #9 of 15

I was initially nervous about charging for delivery but I learnt the hard way. I charge a rate based on mileage and for those not willing to pay, they are free to pick up. However, I will give them detailed instructions on handling the cake and since a couple of weeks ago when someone had an accident with a cake, I now make them sign a waiver too.

knel Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks Everyone. I've always had pickups. I've never delivered a cake and charged for it, but the way gas is right now..........

knel Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 15

Just another thought... WOW! Cakes become quite expensive when you charge for delivery, too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by knel

Just another thought... WOW! Cakes become quite expensive when you charge for delivery, too.

So is the amount of money you have to lay out for a 1 hour drive. When you order anything via a catalog or over the internet, AND IT'S DELIVERED TO YOU, then there's a delivery fee. It part of the cost of the product. The customer is not paying for just the cake ... they are paying for the convenience and the service of not having to get off their OWN butt and go get their own dang cake.

OCakes, the gov't just increased the allowable mileage rate to $0.58 cents. If you're going to raise, at least get it up to the gov't allowed limit.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm
post #13 of 15

the new IRS rate is 58.5 cents!!!!

don't forget that half cent!

it DOES add up!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:06am
post #14 of 15

I charge DEARLY for delivery.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:13pm
post #15 of 15

I live in a small town, so delivery in town is free for orders over 100.00.

I do charge a flat fee based on mileage after that.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%