Mil Troubles....did I Overreact? Loooong!!

Lounge By kimmypooh79 Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 1:36am by kimmypooh79

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 35

I am the kind of person that when I am at my angriest I cry hard and the best thing to do is to just get out of my face. My DD, DH, MIL, (I noted to myself that MIL was not in a very good mood)and myslef were going to dinner one night and this place we went to serves fried biscuits
with apple butter as an appetizer. They are just CAN BISCUITS that have been fried so I wasn't impressed as I've had them before. My DH and MIL ordered these and I was a little annoyed that nobody asked if that was okay with me but I just decided I would be able to eat more of my dinner that way. So, they came and my MIL noticed I wasn't eating them and asked if I was going to have any. I told her no that I didn't care for them since they but would probably like them better if they were homemade. When my husband starting putting this stuff that looked like apple sauce on his and I asked what it was (I didn't eat apple butter growing up so I wasn't sure what it was) he told me that it was apple butter. I tasted the "butter" and said that it tastes like apple sauce to me and they both grimaced and were like no way it tastes like apple butter. This "butter" was chunky, runny, and had more spice than a normal apple sauce but it still had the taste of apple sauce. So anyway, I again said but it tastes like apple sauce so what makes it apple "butter"? My MIL chimes in with, "Why are you being such a B!tC#.....about the biscuits?"She'd never said anything like that to me before and my DH and myself just dropped our mouths open and looked at her. I said that remark was uncalled for and then my husband started in on her for calling me the B word. I was at the boiling point, my feelings were hurt so I had to get up and leave since tears were building up in my eyes. I waited in the car while only she and my DD ate dinner, my DH checked on me and went back in to rip her a new one. I just couldn't go back in with my raccoon eyes and rudolph red nose. She says she didn't call me a B word, I was acting like a 3 year old, I just took it the wrong way, I was just too senstive and takes absolutely no blame. A week later when I brought it up she didn't want to talk about it (she likes to sweep things under the rug unless it's something bothering her) so I said fine I'll talk, You listen....she eventually half a$$ed apologized saying, "Well, I'm sorry that you took it the wrong way."

How else was I supposed to take that? She has made other hurtful comments about me to my husband that I again did not deserve.
Last year her husband left her all of a sudden and she stayed with us b/c she was suicidal, she was curled up on our couch for at least 3 days in the fetal position crying. I was the one that waited on her hand and foot, got her medications, cooked for her and tried to make her eat, got her in the bath, to/from the doctor, did her laundry, I stayed up every night until I knew she was soundly asleep (sometimes til 4am) and then got up to check on her about every hour. I did EVERYTHING for her. She ended up living with us for 2 months which was fine. She thanked me and that was good enough. Stupidly and against everything she was advised she started dating her now ex-husband again and he dumped her recently for her friend that he'd been seeing since they were still married and now she's bad off but not like the first time. Gosh I wish I could say all the terrible things he did to her but this is long enough.
So why these hurtful things? She thinks if she throws money at something then it makes it all okay then she throws that money in our face so I told her to stop giving us stuff. I love her but I don't have to put up with her crap. I'm sorry this was so long....I just really needed to vent.

34 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 35

in a word:

YES

and don't ask for explanation as you will only end up crying again if your that sensitive.

you and MIL have issues that need resolving

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 35

Y'know you really have a pretty healthy attitude about it. Just gotta get tougher. I mean like in understanding that she's gonna go for the belly every now and then. And if not her, somebody will.

You did real good to make her listen to you. Keep it up.

But I tell you what I taught my kids about crying like that during periods of getting sucker punched which of course happens to all of us.

I taught them to keep breathing--you start holding your breath and you're emotional and out bursts the geyser. So exhale! Steadily though. When I'm in church and they're singing some song and I start thinking about loved ones no longer with us or something I make it a point to even purse my lips a bit and blow out--just like you're gently cooling off some hot french fries --let off the steam. I mean not so people notice but dang I don't wanna loose it in public. It's purely a mind over matter thing and it will help you a lot going forward if you work on it.

This is gonna sound bad but it's still good. Turn yourself a little chilly--get cold in the sense of protecting yourself.

I mean it's only natural to be upset when someone messes with you like that. Try & keep from letting it go so deep inside. Get you some boundaries up.

Exhale.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 35

MIL: Why are you being such a "B" about it?
Debi: Because I'm dang good at it, that's why!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

It sounds like just a big communication void. MIL evidently just LUVS these biscuits, and is confused on why someone was making a "big deal" about why someone wasn't eating them. A simple, "Oh I"m saving room for dinner" would have sufficed instead of a big explanation, that could have sounded "snobby" about "oh well they're NOT homemade so I'm just not eating them!" and then "picking apart" the apple butter that they obviously just love.

Not saying that's what you said .... just suggesting that may have been what was heard. I saw you saying it as an explanation as to why you weren't eating them, and you were asking the questions in an honest endeavor to find out about something you've never eaten before, but they heard some "snooty" person putting down their favorite foods and sounding "too good" to eat the foods that they just love.

To answer your question of "did I overreact?" .... I think both of you did.

P.S. If my hubby orders an appetizer that I don't want, nothing stops me from looking at the waiter and saying, "And *I'LL* have ....." It's been too many decades since the man ordered the food for the woman. We've come a long way, baby.

(And in my family, calling someone a "B" is a term of endearment! My sister and I fight over which of us gets to wear the Queen "B" crown! icon_lol.gif )

kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It sounds like just a big communication void. MIL evidently just LUVS these biscuits, and is confused on why someone was making a "big deal" about why someone wasn't eating them. A simple, "Oh I"m saving room for dinner" would have sufficed instead of a big explanation, that could have sounded "snobby" about "oh well they're NOT homemade so I'm just not eating them!" and then "picking apart" the apple butter that they obviously just love.

Not saying that's what you said .... just suggesting that may have been what was heard. I saw you saying it as an explanation as to why you weren't eating them, and you were asking the questions in an honest endeavor to find out about something you've never eaten before, but they heard some "snooty" person putting down their favorite foods and sounding "too good" to eat the foods that they just love.

P.S. If my hubby orders an appetizer that I don't want, nothing stops me from looking at the waiter and saying, "And *I'LL* have ....." It's been too many decades since the man ordered the food for the woman. We've come a long way, baby.

(And in my family, calling someone a "B" is a term of endearment! My sister and I fight over which of us gets to wear the Queen "B" crown! icon_lol.gif )

LOL...debi.....you are so funny. I agree with you. I think part of it was a communication meltdown. My sisters and I are pretty similar, we make fun of each other and call each other names playfully . With my MIL I was more sensitive to it b/c she'd never said anything like that to me in a nasty way (in 7 years) like she did that night. She's done it playfully but never nasty. I was just stunned by her reaction. If I'm so mad I'm crying that means get the heck outta my way before I beat your a$$. She says insensitive things all the time (like if I get pregnant again she'll drive me to the abortion clinic, or how she wanted to abort my husband but her friends talked her out of it... I mean not something you want to hear your mother say ) .I guess I'd just had enough of it and it all came to a head. I'd snapped back before but those were nothing.

kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

in a word:

YES

and don't ask for explanation as you will only end up crying again if your that sensitive.

Yeah we do have issues that she won't talk about. I get in some of those issues when I can but mostly she just wants to let it go. Most of the time we're ok, we go shopping, and hang out on occasion. As far as your thinking I would cry at your explanation, I might not like it but I don't think I'd cry. I don't know you, you don't know me........so as far as that goes it's just an objective outside opinion. thumbs_up.gif

kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Y'know you really have a pretty healthy attitude about it. Just gotta get tougher. I mean like in understanding that she's gonna go for the belly every now and then. And if not her, somebody will.

You did real good to make her listen to you. Keep it up.

But I tell you what I taught my kids about crying like that during periods of getting sucker punched which of course happens to all of us.

I taught them to keep breathing--you start holding your breath and you're emotional and out bursts the geyser. So exhale! Steadily though. When I'm in church and they're singing some song and I start thinking about loved ones no longer with us or something I make it a point to even purse my lips a bit and blow out--just like you're gently cooling off some hot french fries --let off the steam. I mean not so people notice but dang I don't wanna loose it in public. It's purely a mind over matter thing and it will help you a lot going forward if you work on it.

This is gonna sound bad but it's still good. Turn yourself a little chilly--get cold in the sense of protecting yourself.

I mean it's only natural to be upset when someone messes with you like that. Try & keep from letting it go so deep inside. Get you some boundaries up.

Exhale.

Yeah I agree with getting tougher and I've tried the breathing...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Ever since I had my daughter I've been soooo much more emotional, but it also depends on the day. My mom says it's b/c of the hormone changes. But, my husband says that his mom has always spoken first then thinks later. He's apologized to lots of people b/c of offensive remarks she makes. I try to remember that it's just what she does. Although, when she starts calling my family names I want to smack her. She's a very generous person she's just really insensitive.

kimmypooh79 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:38am
post #8 of 35

BTW...I'm not dissing can biscuits cuz I use them for breakfast....I can't make a good biscuit to save my life. I was just disappointed cuz that restaurant prides themselves on their "home cooking" then to get can biscuits was such a let down.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #9 of 35
Quote:

in a word:

YES

I have to agree with Doug on this one. If you didn't like the appetizer then you should have ordered something you liked and let them enjoy what they ordered.

kimmypooh79 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_ann

Quote:

in a word:

YES

I have to agree with Doug on this one. If you didn't like the appetizer then you should have ordered something you liked and let them enjoy what they ordered.

This isn't about the appetizer...it's about what she said. She did not have to resort to name calling b/c she didn't like the answer to her question.

SHE ASKED ME why I wasn't eating it and I told her. If I'd just said I don't want any she still would have wanted to know why. If you knew her you'd understand why I just told her the truth. If she sees us leave our house ( she lives 3 houses down)she calls the cell to see where we're going and why, it's the same with anything, if she sees us coming home she wants to know where we've been, if you tell her you had a hamburger for dinner she wants to know if it was homemade or fast food. You can't be vague with her you just have to tell her what she wants to know otherwise she won't leave you alone. My hubby and I had a tiff yesterday, we stopped by her house on the way to the store, she noticed I was quiet and wanted to know why. I just told her that I had a bad headache but that wasn't good enough. A few minutes later she asked again why I was really quiet then again a few hours later. I don't know how many times I've heard her say she respects her friends for being so honest with her so why should I be any different why should I lie about something so stupid. If she had made the biscuits then I might have told a little lie. All I want is the same respect from her that she expects from me. I don't talk down to her that way so I expect the same courtesy from her. In the talk she and I had about it I made that clear to her.

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:43am
post #11 of 35

It sounds like you guys need to set some boundaries. She doesn't need to know where you're going everytime you leave the house. She can't *make* you guys tell her. I know it's not this simple, but I think it would be important to eventually just say "Please stop asking us where we're going all the time. We're going out and we don't always feel like saying where. We appreciate your interest, but we also like our space." Or another tactic that might be easier is if she asks "Where are you going?" then say "Out, why?" and if she says "Yeah, but where?" say "why?" and if she starts asking if your hamburger was homemade or takeout, say "why? why were you wondering?" Maybe if she has a turn to answer annoying questions then she will realize how annoying it is. It's worth a try icon_smile.gif

Btw, I've never seen apple butter either and probably would have been just as inquisitive.

kimmypooh79 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraO

It sounds like you guys need to set some boundaries. She doesn't need to know where you're going everytime you leave the house. She can't *make* you guys tell her. I know it's not this simple, but I think it would be important to eventually just say "Please stop asking us where we're going all the time. We're going out and we don't always feel like saying where. We appreciate your interest, but we also like our space." Or another tactic that might be easier is if she asks "Where are you going?" then say "Out, why?" and if she says "Yeah, but where?" say "why?" and if she starts asking if your hamburger was homemade or takeout, say "why? why were you wondering?" Maybe if she has a turn to answer annoying questions then she will realize how annoying it is. It's worth a try icon_smile.gif

Btw, I've never seen apple butter either and probably would have been just as inquisitive.

Yeah that's funny....it's like a double standard. If we ask her those questions she usually trys to be vague or she tells us it's none of our business. But, when she's asking she won't let up. I am going to have to start doing that to her.....it's really gonna annoy her....lol. I was laughing reading your comment.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:53am
post #13 of 35

SaraO, that "why" thing is a very good tactic.

I learned it from the best ... a VP that I admired a lot. He and I had to travel to our Mexico factory a lot and I got to watch him in action. He taught me "You want to find out what's going on, you just ask "why" 5 times. Everytime they give you an answer, you just respond with "why?" After about 4 or 5 Why's, you've cut thru the bullsh*t and you're starting to get to the truth of what the problem is.

"Why" is a question that puts the ball in their court. Good suggestion!

Also when people get too inquisitive, you can always ask them, "Wanna know what brand of tampon I use, too?" I find whenever you throw the word "Tampon" into a conversation, people will quickly find a way to change the subject! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Psst! Rude and crude people generally use that "I'm just being honest!" crapola line to justify why they are being rude and crude! Don't fall for it! It's "honest" to tell someone "My god you're fat and need to lose weight!" but no one on here would agree that is an appropriate thing to say to anyone.

kimmypooh79 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:04am
post #14 of 35

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...LOL

that's so funny.
Debi you are so right.....I usually say that honesty is the best policy b/c i'm a terrible liar but I'd never say anything like that to anyone.
you guys are making me laugh so hard I'm tearing up....I should change my name to Emo-girl.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 35

BTW: Applebutter is spiced applesauce that has been cooked and cooked until it is very thick and dark brown. If done right it is very thick, dark and spicy. It should be thick enough to slice.
You can make butters out of many fruits, and pumpkin butter is good too!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:15pm
post #16 of 35
Quote:

I find whenever you throw the word "Tampon" into a conversation, people will quickly find a way to change the subject! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

The next time there's a heated thread here I'm just going to post "tampon" in big bold fat letters and see who reacts to it and how. icon_lol.gif

kimmypooh79 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

BTW: Applebutter is spiced applesauce that has been cooked and cooked until it is very thick and dark brown. If done right it is very thick, dark and spicy. It should be thick enough to slice.
You can make butters out of many fruits, and pumpkin butter is good too!

Thank you for the clarification. That stuff at the restaurant was runny, almost watery. So, yeah I was confused since it just tasted and had the same texture/consistency as applesauce. They both sound yummy though if they are done right.

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:45pm
post #18 of 35

OK, girls, don't shoot me icon_redface.gif , but it sounds maybe someone was a little PMS'y? I don't know, but that is how I act when I'm PMS'ing. And it does sound like you both over-reacted, like Debi said, they could have taken your comments as putting down food they obviously like, no matter how it's prepared. But I don't think it warranted any name calling. If I was you, I would be signing "Mom" up for any and all activities at the local senior center so she can make friends and leave you alone (who knows, maybe she'll find someone new, get married and move a little farther away?! thumbs_up.gif ).
Oooh, how about sending her on one of those long cruises????

kimmypooh79 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:19am
post #19 of 35

LOL........good ideas.

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #20 of 35

You did great! Next time she calls you a B**** just say, Yes and I'm proud of it! I am The "Babe In Total Control Here"! Smile and watch her reaction!

kimmypooh79 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #21 of 35

Thank you milal.....
My pledge:
I kimmypooh79 have earned my b!tc#y name
And like it or not this b!tc#y status I will work hard to maintain
My b!ct#y sisters I swear to you I will not let you down
With my head held high and a big bright smile I wear my queen "B" crown

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #22 of 35
Quote:

Perfect!!! lol

Why the big fuss over not being asked about te appetizer? You are a grown up, speak up and order your own. I would have to ask how you have made it this far if one simple, stupid, playground word sends you running to your car and missing dinner.

Lol the first thing I do when someone calls me a B**** is make sure they are not right...usually they are lol
icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
JMO
~Alicia

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:25pm
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

BTW...I'm not dissing can biscuits cuz I use them for breakfast....I can't make a good biscuit to save my life. I was just disappointed cuz that restaurant prides themselves on their "home cooking" then to get can biscuits was such a let down.

I have no advice on MIL's..by the time I got married, DH's relationship with his mother had deteriorated to the point that I've never had to have anything to do with her.

I can tell you how to make some really good biscuits, though icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup milk

Heat oven to 450. Mix dry ingredients. Make a well in the middle and put in the shortening and milk. Mix until smooth. Turn out on a floured board. Turn once, then pat out. Cut with round cutter (or floured drinking glass) and place on an ungreased baking sheet with a little space between them. Bake for 12 minutes. Butter the tops right when they come out of the oven (Just take that stick of margarine and run it right over the tops, or use butter spray).

They're so yummy and easy that you'll never want to buy the canned ones again...and you can make them for your MIL and she'll see why you're a biscuit snob icon_biggrin.gif

kimmypooh79 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliwis000

Quote:

Perfect!!! lol

Why the big fuss over not being asked about te appetizer? You are a grown up, speak up and order your own. I would have to ask how you have made it this far if one simple, stupid, playground word sends you running to your car and missing dinner.

Lol the first thing I do when someone calls me a B**** is make sure they are not right...usually they are lol
icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
JMO
~Alicia

1) I only said 1 sentence about not being asked about the appetizer, I was a little annoyed not hysterical.
2) It is just generally considerate and polite to ask the others at the table what they might like. If you have ppl over and you order pizza do you not ask what they like or do you just order what you want and if they don't like it then too bad.....I'm guessing that considering your remark you probably just order what YOU want.
3) I would say there is something wrong if the B word is a "simple, stupid, playground word". Remind me to keep my kids away from that playground.
4) My mother didn't teach me to put up with that kind of disrespect. I was fuming, I got my food to go, a restaurant is not an appropriate place for a confrontation. It's better to deal with things with a cool head so I went off by myself to cool off and get control of my anger.
5) If I had done something to justify the remark, if she were being playful, and if she'd done it out of earshot of my 3 old it would not have bothered me so much.
6) Even when I'm angry I try not to call names or let my mouth get out of control. Do unto others......

kimmypooh79 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:08pm
post #25 of 35

Thanks Texas_Rose, I'll have to try them.

7yyrt Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #26 of 35

Regarding the 'female-dog-mother-word' - these days calling each other such words may be commonplace, but anyone calling me that is asking for trouble.
I don't care if you are laughing at the time, I don't care if you call your friends that. I will not be spoken to in that manner; and, most assuredly, you should not speak like that in the presence of young children.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #27 of 35

I can say this much... I feel for ya... I though have many more problems with my MIL ...

1 thing I have found is to pipe up when ordering... if not we would order the same dang appetizer every time we go out to dinner (which anymore is NOT a bunch)

He says Cheese sticks.. I say.. what I want....

And where were you when they ordered the fried biscuits.. icon_confused.gif we have a couple of out of the way restaurants not real far from us that serve these concoctions and they all say they are homemade served with homemade apple butter.

And growing up with apple butter... I haven't ever had any you can cut with a knife...

7yyrt Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm
post #28 of 35

My gramma taught me her way of cooking apple butter about 43-45 years ago. Maybe they don't cook it so long these days. It takes a very long time, and you need to be very careful near the end or it will scorch. I do my tomato paste the same way.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:20pm
post #29 of 35

No advice here but I have to chime in.

Anyone who comes at me with that word as their first line of defense better have an army to back them up because I'll go to war and show them what a real one can be like. icon_lol.gif

I had a guy in the Home Depot paint area dropping the F bomb (mostly that but other swear words were tossed in when he got bored with that one) like no tomorrow (very loudly) when I was there with my son awhile back.

My son kept looking at me with huge eyes and finally said loudly "mom I don't want to hear adult words, make him stop!" and the guy was looking at me waiting for me to say something. You could tell he was waiting to put me in my place because he was the type "that could say what he wanted where he wanted."

Being me and who I am I sure did say something (about at loud as he was swearing)...

"Honey, you can't expect a man with that much butt crack showing to have any manners let alone use them around young children and women."

Everyone around us busted out laughing.

He turned beet red and didn't say another word while he was finishing up picking out his paint and getting it shaken up other than "I'd like this and that please."

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:27pm
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

My gramma taught me her way of cooking apple butter about 43-45 years ago. Maybe they don't cook it so long these days. It takes a very long time, and you need to be very careful near the end or it will scorch. I do my tomato paste the same way.

I'm sure it depends on what region you are in also. My great grandma grew an orchard... and sold apple butter.. I know the process was long but it never cut like butter.. not stiff butter anyways... more like a whipped butter..soft

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%