How Far In Advance Can You Place Edible Images On A Cake?

Decorating By reesesob Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm by reesesob

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a 3 tierd cake today for an engagement party tomorrow, I got 18 edible images in black and white to place on the sides of the cake. As I was leaving the bakery the guy told me not to place the pictures on until about 30 minutes before the party because they will bleed!

I have a couple questions now...

If I wait how will they stick to my crusted BC?

Will they bleed that much if I put them on tonight??

7 replies
CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 8

I'd like to know this as well?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 8

What color is your frosting when I put imaging on my cakes I always do it the night before but my cakes are usually white butter cream and if you do wait you need to mist your cake with water to dampen it then place you image on top of damp frosting

Molly2

reesesob Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 8

My cakes are all white, but there will be a black buttercream boarder around each of the pictures too.

So if the party is at 1 pm tomorrow, would you put them on right now?

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 8

I think the black border would be the problem, not the images themselves. Maybe that could be done tomorrow.

I have experienced bleeding if condensation forms, but as long as the cake stays at room temperature, I think it will be fine. I prefer to put my images on with a very light crust so that the image will soften into the frosting.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 8

I've never waited to put my edible images on and I've never had a problem with anything running. I've heard if you do wait then you need to mist with water, which seems to me would work just fine.

As long as your cake isn't sweating or somewhere really damp then it should be fine.

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 8

I done a cake with black and white edible images on the sides and had black borders and it was fine. I put them on a sat. night and the cake was for sunday afternoon. look in my pics, it is the skateboard-rollerblading one icon_smile.gif

reesesob Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 8

Fantastic!!! That you all so much for your replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%