Printers And Edible Inks

Decorating By sarand Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 12:28pm by wendy1273

sarand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarand Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 17

Hi All,

Its me again... I have been thinking about getting a printer and edible ink... the problem is i have looked at a couple of them, that i just dont know which one to get.

Do any of you use one? I went on one website that was selling a canon one and it was for sale at £119 but when I went on the canon web site it was only £59... i am totally confused?? are they just making a huge profit or are they adapted in any way?
and are they really any good?

Thanks for reading
Sarah xx

16 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:51am
post #2 of 17

Did the one for 119 include the cartridges and what model was it?

There are no modifications done to the Canon printers, you just need the edible ink cartridges and frosting or rice paper.

IMHO don't purchase one unless you use it often. I got a Canon S830D with edible cartridges and would need to run it through the maintenance checks at least once a week to prevent clogging. This didn't always work and I would have to steam the print heads. I now upload to icingimages.com and their images are much sharper than I ever got from the Canon. Maybe someone else can suggest a better model - but I ended up putting the original cartridges back in and using it for regular photo prints.

monica7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monica7 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #3 of 17

icon_smile.gif I just got my printer the other day. What I did was choose one from the site that sells the supplies then ordered it on buy.com. The site is icingimages.com, there's a list of different cannon printers that they have ink and things for and they also sell kits including printers if you want. I wrote down a couple of the model numbers and researched prices. It was "a piece of cake". princess.gif

sarand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarand Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 17

thanks for your replies, the one i saw was the canon ip3500 it did have the inks with it... i think your right it is going to be a problem if im not using it all the time, dont want it clogging up.

i will have to give this some thought.
Thanks again xx

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 17

We just bought a Canon IP3500 with the edible ink and so far we love it. We do several images and it is so much simplier having a machine instead of depending on ordering an image whenever needed. icon_biggrin.gif

bsalto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsalto Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 17

I saw a website from ip3500 tastyfotoart.com which sells the printer, 100 sheets of paper and the ink with chip for $250. Do you use a specific software so the images don't come out blurry when you enlarge them. I just want to make cakes for my little boys and their parties and I don't want to have things dry up, but ordering images from a site and having them ship them for $15 with tax.

bsalto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsalto Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:58am
post #7 of 17

how do you take out the chip? with a knife? Pop it out or slide it out. I just purchased a canon over the weekend.
Thanks

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 17

I've had my printer for 6 years now and always had problems with my ink clogging up on me. I was about ready to give up and then I decided to try the ink from tastyfotoart. I haven't had a problem since and I don't use it often at all. I have tried inks from Kopykake and another company whose name i don't remember. I figured I'd give it one more try and then decide whether or not to scrap my printer. I am so happy I did.

I just bought my Canon from a Staples or something. It was like $50.

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:19am
post #9 of 17

I am looking for the same thing, but I want it to be able to scan photos also. I want to be able to scan a photo, and with a computer program, crop it, add a message, and print it, etc...
Any suggestions on a system, program and whatever else that would be needed.
Thanks,
Polly

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm
post #10 of 17

Polly,
If you already own a scanner, that would work fine. Otherwise, you can probably purchase a Canon all in one printer if there is such a thing. I just use my regular scanner, I use Adobe Photodeluxe which I already owned for adding messages if needed and my Canon printer.

If you order your paper from Kopykake, they do have a free progam you can download. In order for ti to work, you have to key in the code that is on the packaging to the paper you buy.

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks Jessi,
I am going to purchase a printer that will take the needed edible inks and do just as you said.
Thanks again,
Polly

joieoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joieoc Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:45am
post #12 of 17

I heard that instead of purchasing the edible image printer from kopykake or icing images; you can buy a printer at staples, etc for cheaper. My question is should I buy a "printer cleaner" to clean the regular ink out of the printer, before applying the edible ink ?

joieoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joieoc Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:46am
post #13 of 17

I heard that instead of purchasing the edible image printer from kopykake or icing images; you can buy a printer at staples, etc for cheaper. My question is should I buy a "printer cleaner" to clean the regular ink out of the printer, before applying the edible ink ?

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:01am
post #14 of 17

My DH is a computer expert and he is very good with any electronic so I asked him to get a printer for edible images, we already own a cannon i9900, he purchased the cartridges for that and it work OK for the first few images but every time we try to use it he had to clean it and it was a big problem, I was never able to do it without him so he decided to buy a new printer, canon ip4500 and new cartridges with the chips in them and it looks like is working fine but we have to run it every week to make sure that the ink doesn't dry.
I will ask him where did he purchased the cartridges and I will let you know.

Good luck
Wendy

melony1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony1976 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:38am
post #15 of 17

Does it have to be a certain canon printer? Or does any model work?

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 8:39am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1273

I was never able to do it without him so he decided to buy a new printer, canon ip4500 and new cartridges with the chips in them and it looks like is working fine but we have to run it every week to make sure that the ink doesn't dry.

Good luck
Wendy

I know a couple of girls that have picked up the Reynold's vacuum sealer by the ziplock bags and remove their ink cartridges and use the sealer bags to keep them from clogging, and drying out...

HTH,
Pat B.

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:28pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you Pat, I will try that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%