Help With A Wasc Version Not Found Online

Decorating By ArtieTs Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 4:31am by JanH

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hello CC,

I need help with finding a different variation of WASC. I would love to try to make a strawberry/banana combination for a baby shower cake for my neice this month. I personally like the WASC basic version but I know almond is not appreciated by all. She has given me control of the cake, she just wants fresh strawberry filling. I figured to a good combination would be 1 layer vanilla cake & the second layer strawberry/banana cake. Does anyone have a receipe for me? I was thinking about tweeking the WASC as a start but kinda scared that it may no to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks CC

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 8

I never had any luck putting jello into the cake mix--poor results for moi.

But if you could do this at the last minute, cut bananas into the strawberry filling is omg delicious. I mean I toss my bananas in with fresh pineapples to keep them from browning.

Honestly I don't know what kind of shelf life this has. But I sure have eaten these kind of cakes with fresh bananas & strawberries before from bakeries.

And I usually use vanilla in my wasc. Two reasons one is I can't find the almond stuff I bought and I can't remember the other. hahaha

There's that poke cake where you bake a white cake & poke holes in it & pour jello into it . Where you actaully make for real jello and pour it in all liquidy and frige it. It's a different texture--this is not my favorite idea but it is one for the idea bucket.

Or how about a gentle fresh light lovely banana cake with strawberry fill? Or banana icing?

ArtieTs Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks k8memphhis,

I was thinking about making a strawberry & banana variation of WASC & use vanilla instead of almond but I haven't seen that anyone has done those so I need to know what amounts of mashed banana & strawberry puree to use in each receipe. I want to make each variation & marble them in 1 layer & fill with fresh strawberries & whipped cream. Do you know how long these cakes can be frozen before using? I'm going to do a lot of fondant & detail work so I would like to have the cakes made well in advance a frozen to save me time. Thanks for the help.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 8

Ok I'm not an expert but I have an idea. how about add a box of Banana Cream pudding to the mix and trying to find banana flavoring and adding that instead of the almond. Then the filling can be fresh strawberries and you dont have to worry about the banana's getting mushy. Just a thought. Or you can put a layer of strawberry filling and a layer of banana cream filling.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 8

Use strawberry bannana flavored yogurt in place of sourcream and vanilla instead of almond or more strawberry and bannana flavors from lorann...

I use yogurt all the time with GREAT results!

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 8

I second the motion to use strawberry banana yogurt. I've recently done this with a few cake & it worked like a charm. I would still consider using fresh fruit for filling, to give the flavor more depth. I've also used jello in the mix for one flav. & yogurt in a different flav. to acompany the two. Like using strawberry jello & banana yogurt.

ArtieTs Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:49am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for the feedback,

The strawberry/banana yougurt sounds like a good idea. I've used yougurt in place of sour cream before so I know it works. Thanks again & I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:31am
post #8 of 8

Expanded flavors version WASC cake recipe:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4
(Can use any flavor cake mix, or extracts, as well as fruit juices, nectar, frozen berries, white chocolate and more.)

Strawberry, banana and other flavorings are available at some larger grocery stores as well as cake decorating shops and online.

Icing fruit can be used for flavoring cake batter as well as icing:

http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/BAKEWARE_SHOPPE/Baking_Ingredients/Food_Items/Icing_Fruits/icing_fruits.htm

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=532&SubCatId=799

Whipped Cream frosting:
(As long as you have to refrigerate the filling, this frosting is great.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-901-Whipped-Cream-Frosting.html

Link to all CC strawberry fillings:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=strawberry&cat_id=46&x=28&y=6

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%