Pricing This Darn Cake......

Baking By nicksmom Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 12:55am by robinscakes

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 9

its all from scratch andis going to cost me nearly 300$ to make it(that includes everything from trippling this recipe(it only makes for 20 people) to bc and fondant andall the extras) so does $650 sound reasonable to charge my bride/FRIEND?I just don't want to rob her and normally I charge $3.25 per slice but for boxed cake,this will be my first request for scrtch,plus its red velvet scratch recipe,please help icon_smile.gif

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know if I understand correctly. You are doing $10.83 a serving for a scratch red velvet to serve 60 people?

There's a lot of factors like is she providing a certain formula?
The decor must not be huge factor?

I mean it serves more than 60 people right?
How many servings?

Really test your recipe carefully sometimes those red velvets pee.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:52am
post #3 of 9

well I don't see what you figure icon_confused.gif I basically figure it out the same way as usuall. what it costs me to make the cake x3. the cake will serve 94 people which basically ends up 7$ a slice after what i finally charged. this was a tuff one to decide because i didn't want to jip myself or my friend.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 9

so bottom line is you are charging $7 per serving? seems high to me...what is the cake gonna look like?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

LOL, does this mean you get an 'afterglow' if you eat red velevet cake? icon_smile.gif Like black fondant gives everyone a delightful smile and red velvet give everyone creative colored wee-wee? (wow, can you tell I am around little kids all day long?)

Or did I totally misunderstand? It does make sense since most recipes I have seen call for around 2 ounces of red dye for each recipe - yikes!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

LOL, does this mean you get an 'afterglow' if you eat red velevet cake? icon_smile.gif Like black fondant gives everyone a delightful smile and red velvet give everyone creative colored wee-wee? (wow, can you tell I am around little kids all day long?)

Or did I totally misunderstand? It does make sense since most recipes I have seen call for around 2 ounces of red dye for each recipe - yikes!

I mean I've read (ha- red read icon_smile.gif anyway... I've read on other boards that sometimes those scratch red velvets with the overabundance of red color leak, aka pee out the side of the cake. It was on another board. I've hard that at least twice about those rv's.

And the big question is why are you more than doubling your cake price for this cake? Just because it's scratch?

I mean if you are tripling a recipe that feeds 20 people to get a cake that will serve 90, and these ingredients cost $300, I'm not getting yah.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 9

Must be that new math... I don't get it either. icon_wink.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:06am
post #8 of 9

$300 in ingredients for a cake to serve 90? Seems like an awful lot to me. It costs me about $4 to make 6 cups of red velvet batter from scratch.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:55am
post #9 of 9

At nearly $7 a slice, that seems awfully high to me. Maybe your decorations are very detailed and would justify that kind of a price??? I know I could never get $7 a slice for red velvet cake. It's one of my cheaper cakes to make, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%