Would You Make Your Own Birthday Cake??

Decorating By SOULLA13 Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm by crisseyann

SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:31am
post #1 of 93

This is my small dilemma i have, i am turning 30 in August and wondering if it looks a bit sad if i made my own birthday cake! What do you think have any of you made own own birthday cakes?

92 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:49am
post #2 of 93

Well, if you make your own, you get to choose what kind it is and you'll know it will be good, so that shouldn't be sad!

My BD is in August too (I'll be 72) and if I have cake, I'm sure I'll have to bake it.

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:01am
post #3 of 93

I made my own 30th birthday cake, it is the only one I have ever made myself but I chose one that meant I had to buy some new cake decorating equipment to do. I turned it into a real present to myself, my husband and children were banned from the house while I made it, my husband did all the clearing up afterwards so it was all fun for me.
I made a chocolate orange cake with whipped cream icing, which is my all time favourite.

It wasn't sad it was great!

girlinspired Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girlinspired Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:11am
post #4 of 93

Hi - for my 25th birthday, I had just moved to a new state and decided to make my "dream" cake that I'd had on the brain for some time. It was a spice cake with caramel filling and vanilla frosting. Experimental recipe, but it was really good! Very rich tasting. Only problem was I had to freeze a bunch, because I couldn't eat that huge cake all at once! icon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:26am
post #5 of 93

I ALWAYS make my own birthday cake! I see it as an opportunity to try out a design/technique I've been dying to do, amd if I mess up, then it doesn't matter! Plus no-one make a cake taste as great as I do (it may sound big-headed, but it's true!), and I'm not about to waste calories on some tasteless piece of cr*p!

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:35am
post #6 of 93

I made my own 40th cake last year. Here it is!!! I had 65 people at my party and I am SO glad that I made my own!!!! Just plan ahead!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_903663.html

momnzoes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momnzoes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:50am
post #7 of 93

I hate to admit it, but I'm not a big fan of cake. icon_surprised.gif This year, my co-workers at Wal-Mart, who are the beneficiaries of my cake-baking and decorating obssession, got me cheesecake. Obviously, they knew better than to get me a Wal-Mart cake! icon_lol.gif

darjeelingjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darjeelingjane Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:59am
post #8 of 93

i don't think it is sad at all - especially if you want it to taste good! no offense, but other cakes aren't as good as mine or yours and ceratinly not if you have developed your own particular way of doing things, as i think we probably all have. i say, make something new and fun and enjoy yourself!

sweetandcrafty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetandcrafty Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:04pm
post #9 of 93

I'm making my own 30th birthday cake because i know it will be the cake i want and i can try new things without being worried about getting it wrong.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:04pm
post #10 of 93

I turned 50 a few months ago. My co-workers, DH and DS threw me a "surprise" party that they ended up telling me about because they were afraid I would end up with a bunch of cake orders for that weekend. So I made my own cake because no one else around here makes anything but sheetcakes.

This is the one I did borrowing the design from Sugar Creations.

Susan
LL

CreativeGirl220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeGirl220 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 93

When I use to work at the Ft. Stewart commissary Deli/Bakery (not afraid to say where) and few ppl brought their own cake, the manager and supervisor would talk about them and say thats sad. I feel like they didn't know what they were gonna do with that cake and for all they know that person was probably having a party. Anyway I don't think its sad. If it was me I'd make my own and give a lot of it away to my friends only cause I know I wouldn't eat that much cake.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:14pm
post #12 of 93

I always make my own cake. If I depended on my sons or my husband to make one . . . oh dear . . . I don't know if my homeowner's insurance would cover something like that.

Anyway - I once worked in an office where we decided that we would each make our own birthday treat. You got what you wanted on your birthday, and it wasn't forgotten. If you didn't want your birthday acknowledged (there are those people out there that don't celebrate their birthday) - no problem - just don't bring in anything.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:34pm
post #13 of 93

Nope! It's MY birthday and I choose not to do so. BUT, if that's what YOU want to do....it's YOUR birthday....do anything you want!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN ADVANCE!

Beth in KY

rwarhank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarhank Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 93

When I was a kid, it was always a privilege to make our own cake as we got to decide what we wanted, how to decorate it... so now I do it with my own kids and they're very enthusiastic. But they aren't still good enough to bake it themselves so last year my DH got me a cake from WalMart as I was working (I'm not a real cake decorator). It really makes one appreciate other cakes. So this year I'll definately be making my own and the kids have been briefed NOT to buy one. (They won't have a birthday without cake of course icon_biggrin.gif )

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:47pm
post #15 of 93

I am definitely making my b'day cake! I am going to try new techniques and be able to eat something that is actually yummy! icon_biggrin.gif

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:00pm
post #16 of 93

I definitely would BUT... my daughters B-day is a couple days after mine and I'm usually too busy making her cake. She's 9 now so it's probally been about 10 years since I had my own cake icon_cry.gif

monkeegurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeegurl Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #17 of 93

I always make my own cake, mostly because my children have food allergies and I want them to be able to eat the cake, too. However, my birthday is in a couple of days and my husband said he would "take care of it" this year. I'm a little scared.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:13pm
post #18 of 93

I always make mine too. My mom offers, but I always want to try something new anyway so it works out.

tiggerbounce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerbounce Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:17pm
post #19 of 93

Had not thought about it actually. Think I will this year. Turning the big four - oh!

I like that idea.

I think I will have a party to celebrate with others and give THEM gifts for being my friends. Thank them for making my 40 years great.

Hmmmm....gotta think on it for a bit...

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #20 of 93

I live near my MIL, and she always makes my birthday cake. It's always a chocolate round cake with canned frosting. There are times I wish I could make my own, but I feel like it would hurt her feelings.

By all means, go for it and do something you will actually look forward to eating!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:34pm
post #21 of 93

We go out for dessert. He would make me anything I wanted but he has to ask me how to do it too.

But I mean as the kids got a little older I stopped making the big deal cakes fopr them and we just had a nice 9x13 in the pyrex pan for b-days. Then I got laid off a few times and I thought well shoot I'm gonna go all out on a cake for them. (Read-got no real money for a spiffy gift.) And they really really dug it. That was cool.

I do like a 'this is your life' whimsy as only a Mother would know how to create y'know?

But honestly for me, I hadn't really given it much thought till you asked here but getting super decadent dessert out somewhere is great for me.

SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:51pm
post #22 of 93

WOW i am so excited now to plan my birthday cake-you guys have really made my decision so much easier and i have decided i WILL bake my own cake!!!!!!!!!!! I will choose my fav cake and filling and find something to try out that ive always wanted to try!!!!! Off to look in the galleries...........

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:52pm
post #23 of 93

I would definitely make my own birthday cake. As a matter of fact, I owe myself two b'day cakes now. Last year was the 4-0 but I was in the midst of packing up to move. This year, I was making a cake for someone else a couple of weeks back.
But, a wise friend counselled me - "You can ALWAYS have 'birthday cake day' whenever!" I think he just wants to be able to have cake to snarfle on! icon_smile.gif But I agree.
I am busy on a b'day cake for my aunt's 70th b'day for next week and hopefully one to take w/me to New Orleans as a gift for my friends. So, "birthday cake day" will have to be bumped again...but by golly, it WILL happen! icon_smile.gif
Peace,
Wendl

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:52pm
post #24 of 93

I made my own birthday this year (its the purse caek in my photos) but normally I wouldn't. My oldest son's birthday is the day after mine and usually, two cakes in two days is WAY too much cake. This year, his birthday party was two weeks before his actual day, so I was able to have my own cake. I'm considering purchasing the mini-tiered cake pan (that itty bitty one that makes just enough cake for two people) so that I can make two cakes, one for each of us, and this way there won't be TONS of leftover cake (is there such a thing as too much cake? i think so..)

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #25 of 93

The only thing sad about making your own cake is if you wanted someone else to make it. In other words, if it makes you feel forgotten or unloved. I have made my own cake several times for exactly the reasons stated by others. I wanted to try something new.

However, one of the nicest "cakes" I have ever had was a twinky with a single candle in it. I had just moved to a new town and job and was feeling very lonely; one of my co-workers put it in my mail cubbie with a card. I know that sounds stupid, but it was the emotion involved not the cake itself that made it special.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:55pm
post #26 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

... (is there such a thing as too much cake? i think so..)

No, it's called "Midnight snackage" or even better "Breakfast!" thumbs_up.gif
Wendl

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:18pm
post #27 of 93

No way will I make my own cake. Gives me a great excuse to check out the competition!! icon_smile.gif

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #28 of 93

last year I asked my husband if he was having a party for me, he said no so I told him no surprise parties because I needed to know when to bake my cake for...he looked surprised then laughed and told me about the party!! my I made a plain cake with MMF fondant and fondant flowers. my MIL commented that she preferred buttercream and the next time I should not do fondant, she didn't like it!!
it's MY birthday!!!!!!!!!! I think ALL my birthday cakes will be fondant....!
anyway, everyone laughed when they found out i wanted to make my own cake...but it's ok...they all want me to make their cakes too!!

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:39pm
post #29 of 93

My dear DD has been making my birthday cake since she learned to open a box of yellow cake mix and a can of chocolate frosting she was 9 when she started she is now 32 it is her favorite and her dads not mine she is a daddy's girl. Chocolate would be my favorite

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:43pm
post #30 of 93

I'm so picky about cake now (and so is my family) that the only kind they can buy that we won't all grumble about is a Cold Stone Creamery ice cream cake. icon_smile.gif Usually, that's what they do but I wouldn't be against making my own. Sometimes it's nice to be able to decorate it the way I want it anyway (with no input from anyone else!) icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%