Mini Marshmallows Into Popcorn?? How?

Decorating By gscout73 Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm by MessiET

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 12

I saw a pic in "all time favs" that have mini marshmallos cut/altered to look just like popcorn. I searched in the galleries for popcorn cakes and saw some that used unaltered mini marshmallows as well as real popcorn. I could not find any instructions in the templates gallery. Can anyone please post or give a link of instructions on how to do this? I've finally been able to get the MMF right, so now i want to try pop corn. icon_rolleyes.gif This is the cake. You may have to copy/paste the link.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1186760.html

11 replies
micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 12

I pm'd you icon_biggrin.gif

gscout73 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 12

I got it. Thank you so much!!! I just happen to have a bag of minis in my kitchen... I'll post a pic if it works... lol... my co-workers won't believe it.

thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by micnmax2003

I pm'd you icon_biggrin.gif

If possible, could you please share the answer here in the post--I'm sure lots of members would enjoy knowing how to do it, but would be reluctant to hassle you with lots of PM's.

Thanks,
Rae

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 12

I have to thank NoahLili for the instruction that she was so kind to share w/ me to achieve the look of her popcorn cupcakes...the only think that I would suggest doing is brushing portions of the popcorn w/ yellow food colouring & vodka to get the buttered look.

Here are the instructions/tips from NoahLili:

Bake the cupcakes in regular cupcake holders and frost them with white frosting.

Use mini marshmallows and cut just the top of the marshmallow into a cross, maybe about halfway through the marshmallow. Squish the cut part down a little bit, since cutting them make the edges look too square. Then, squeeze the bottom (the part you did not cut) between your thumb and finger...this mades the cut part of the marshmallow fan out a bit to make it look like popped popcorn.

Place the marshmallows on the cupcakes and lastly place them in the candy/nut cups (Wilton). NoahLili used a red sharpy maker for the stripes and made label stickers for the Popcorn labels (these were made about a week ahead of time to make sure the marker was fully dried, so the kids didn't get permanent marker all over their hands)

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks so much!

This is so much simpler & quicker than trying to hand form popcorn using fondant! I bet you could sit and make up a whole bag of popcorn & just keep it on hand to use when you need it (I tend to like slightly stale marshmallows, anyway!).

Rae

gscout73 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:27am
post #7 of 12

OMG!! It worked! It's time consuming, but it worked. I baked cupcakes without papers, wrapped in white fondant. Then made red stripes from fondant. I'm sure I could do a much better job next time, but this was purely experimental. I'll post a pic as soon as I can upload the pic. All I need now is an edible printer to make lables. I can't wait until I can share them with my Girl Scouts icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

gscout73 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 12

OK, I uploaded the cupcakes. I still can't get over how good the "pop corn" came out.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1241080.html

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 12

Turned out great. May have to try these for "movie night" at home with the hubby!!!

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 12

Those are pretty cool! thumbs_up.gif I've gotta make some of those!

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 12

good job

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #12 of 12

Wow... that popcorn looks great. Thanks for posting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%