Omg I'm I The Only One That Hates This???

Decorating By pinkbiz Updated 13 Apr 2013 , 3:23pm by kikiandkyle

pinkbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbiz Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:03am
post #1 of 262

1st i want to apologize if i offend anyone... but i just have to say i hate fountains under cakes and stairs!!! omg it drives me nuts. I always watch WE channel , Bridezilla, Rich Bride Poor Bride... and i see people requesting these!! I mean everyone has their own unique taste and likes but i just needed to express it! again sorry this is only my opion

261 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:39am
post #2 of 262

LMAO!!

Me too. Is there anything more WT??

Honestly, every time I see one of those tacky cakes I think to myself,

"The Eighties called. They want their cake back."

I can truly understand the artistry and workmanship that goes into a big cake like that, but they are just butt-ugly.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:58am
post #3 of 262

I booked a cake for next year...the couple wanted the fontain, the stairs, the whole nine yards...I was sitting there just thinking to myself: "Nooooo" icon_cry.gif

Gosh, I hate that thing.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:58am
post #4 of 262

AMEN! Can I also add the fake plastic stairs with the plastic groomsmen and bridesmaids standing on them?? YUK!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:01am
post #5 of 262

I agree! I also dislike basket weave! Those things just look so dated to me! The stairs thing confuses me too. Why would a cake need stairs? Is it going somewhere? icon_confused.gif It would be different if there were little fondant figures on the stairs, or drowning in the fountain...at least that would give it a purpose! icon_rolleyes.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:04am
post #6 of 262

I even hated them in the 80's!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:04am
post #7 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

I agree! I also dislike basket weave! Those things just look so dated to me! The stairs thing confuses me too. Why would a cake need stairs? Is it going somewhere? icon_confused.gif It would be different if there were little fondant figures on the stairs, or drowning in the fountain...at least that would give it a purpose! icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL!!!! this is too funny! icon_lol.gif

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:10am
post #8 of 262

I'm gonna add tuck and ruffle...can't stand it!!!

LOL amia1024....ITA!!

chutzpah Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:14am
post #9 of 262

aw geez.... I forgot... Tuk-n-Ruffle.

I hate those kind of cutesy misspellings, too.... übertacky.

Amia Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:14am
post #10 of 262

Perfect cake: basketweave, tons of bc roses, tuk and ruffle under each tier, that heart shaped topper with all the ruffles, on a cake stand with lots of stairs and a glowing fountain!

Any takers?

chutzpah Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:16am
post #11 of 262

Is that the topper that's like 12 inches tall with all the tulle and ruffles?

Amia Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:18am
post #12 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Is that the topper that's like 12 inches tall with all the tulle and ruffles?

Of course! Unless there's a bigger one...

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:19am
post #13 of 262

Don't forget all the plastic doves/ angels and the plastic filligree. I don't think I've ever seen a cake with those on there that looked appealing to me.

Amia Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:28am
post #14 of 262

And the bells!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:38am
post #15 of 262

totally agree horrible horrible horrible to my eye anyway.

I just did a very interesting modern paisley wedding cake... bride is a graphic designer and did the invites herself - very modern no frills chill girl - groom picked up the topper and brought it home, one of the few things he wanted so she said yes. All tulle, fake flowers, ruffles, lace, white heart, at least the little figures were kind of cute. I took pics of the cake BEFORE I put on the topper. I tried to fix it a little for her ripping off some of the lace and adding hot pink ribbon and fabric.

The worst part is that all that (r@p is expensive! the topper they brought me still had the price tag $30! Even if you rent it - its going to be expensive.

I never understood the combo of fountains and cake. Does anyone know where this trend came from? Why would you want water near a cake? Why would you want to make people think of peeing when they look at the cake icon_confused.gif ? Ok maybe thats going a little far but I really dont understand. icon_eek.gif [/i][/list]

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:39am
post #16 of 262

I want in on the stairs/fountain thing! Can someone post a pic of nice tacky example so I can have a chuckle and an eye roll too! icon_biggrin.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:50am
post #17 of 262

NEVER liked those tacky looking things !! My friend had the stairs, the fountain with green water, plastic bridesmaids that looked like Zombies..

OMG!! they are HORRID icon_eek.gif !!!

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:26am
post #18 of 262

When I was in high school many years ago and thought I was the so "hot" with my hard as a helmet, hairsprayed pageboy flip, knee socks, plaid pleated skirt & monogramed sweater, no one could have told me that others (and me too) would look back years later & laugh our heads off at such fads and dated looks! icon_rolleyes.gif Well now, let's try not to give these poor cakes such a hard time. In their "day" they were the "thing" and every girl dreamed of having their "stairway to heaven" & fountain a la beautiful! These were the cakes their wedding dreams were made of. Believe me, someday others (maybe you & me) will look back at fondant, ribbon, scrollwork, bold colors, topsy turvy, etc. and say "What was I thinking"! icon_surprised.gif Hard to imagine? Wait and see! icon_biggrin.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:27am
post #19 of 262

You know trends have a way of making their way back! Muahahahaha!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:01pm
post #20 of 262

Amen, joyce!

As a child of the 70's, I cut my cake-decorating teeth on the fountains and stairs cakes. Made one every single weekend. Why did people order them? Because they were THE most popular and "in" thing at the time.

You can NOT look at "things back then" and think "how could they?" Because you have to look at the entire historical picture. I know, I know, schools are bad at teaching real history anymore (which is one of my passions) so allow this old lady to fill you in.

The 70's were a time of recession. Gas prices were going from $0.24 to $0.52. That doesn't sound like much to you, but in today's pricing, it's like going from $3/gallon to $6/gallon almost overnight. Big car production was stopped and the Big Three were scrambling to design cars with good gas mileage that could compete with the Japanese cars. Jobs were being eliminated left and right. It was the first time I recall unemployment being extended two and three times for folks. People were doing without and barely scraping by.

Then the 80's rolled in. A time of abundance, lots of jobs and tons of overtime! People were not only catching up from their 70's fallback, but reveling in being able to buy things again! They were sick and tired of those tiny cars that represented a time when people had nothing and when they had to compromise comfort for economy. It became the time of extravagance ... big houses, big cars, big HAIR, big cakes.

I'm waiting for my retirement years when I can come on here and listen to you guys defend to the NEW young whippersnappers why people in the 2000's thought topsy turvy cakes .... cakes that look like they are ready to fall over! ... and cakes with wild bright colors, zebra stripes and thick layers of play-doh fondant, were "cool"! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

And dont' make fun of my popular basketweave cakes! icon_biggrin.gif I counted up one time, and out of 19 consecutive weddings, 15 were square cakes and the majority of those were basketweaves. These are REAL cakes that brides ordered..... designs that brides wanted.

I can easily look at some of these "wild and crazy" designs and say the same thing .... how can a bride possibly want something that looks that stupid at her elegant wedding? icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:02pm
post #21 of 262

It doesn't have a fountain, but here's one I did in the early 90's with nice tacky stairs and candles!!!

NOT my proudest cake, BTW!
LL

indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #22 of 262

Here's the full impact of the 80's ... this was my sister's cake. It took up an entire 8 foot table. It became the picture that every bride stopped at, gasped, and said, "Oh my god what a wonderful cake!" (the pic is bad, here, because it's a scanned photo. "Back in the day" we had to use that dirty old fashioned stuff called "film"!) icon_lol.gif

Sign of the times.
LL

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #23 of 262

hahahaha! I just luv it, IndyDeb! Looks exactly like the ones I made too that "I" was soooooo proud of! I almost posted one on my pics but had second thoughts. Boy, now I'm glad I didn't! Those were the days my friend! icon_biggrin.gif BTW-you did do a beautiful job no matter how long ago it was! thumbs_up.gif

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #24 of 262

Fountain cakes are ok, IF they are on the smaller version. I even have a hard time with a 3 tier cake sitting on those tall tiers. They just look so unstable to me. But to each his own I guess.

I love basketeweave though! Depending on how it's done on a wedding cake, it can be okay - but even that can be way overdone. I think it looks really good on chocolate cakes.

indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:41pm
post #25 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASCARLETT

.... but even that can be way overdone. I think it looks really good on chocolate cakes.

overdone.... like leaning tower of pisa's and zebra stripes? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

and how do you tell the flavor of the cakie by looking at the basketweave icing? icon_confused.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:49pm
post #26 of 262

Bleh. Bleh!
I would tell a Bride no on that. I wouldn't want to be known for doing stars and pillars and fountains!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #27 of 262

Add me to the list. I hate them too.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:01pm
post #28 of 262

Fountain cakes and big hair were popular about the same time.

Now I look back at pics of me with my waist length spiral perm and huge bangs ratted up to heaven and wonder, "what was I thinking?" The answer: I thought I looked hot (and so did my husband). icon_biggrin.gif

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:04pm
post #29 of 262

My nephew had a fountain under his wedding cake.

When they were doing the cutting of the cake, they had to reach up to shoulder height to cut their cake. The whole thing started to shake. I thought there was going to be a crash. Luckily for them it didn't fall over. But it almost did.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm
post #30 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I even hated them in the 80's!

Ditto, Ruth! For my wedding 25 years ago, I had what was then viewed as a "very plain" cake, and others didn't know why I didn't have all the plastic accoutrements. It had 4-5 white-iced tiers with fairly simple borders, and flowers between the tiers and on top. I'm proud to say it wouldn't look out of place today. However, if you look back at my hair in the wedding photos, you'd be mortified!

It's funny to think how we'll view our current oh-so-elegant cakes in 25 years.

My basic criterion for choosing style that won't look terribly dated is to minimize how much additional structure (often plastic) is needed to create the look (e.g., stairs, fountains, dowels?; and for hair--hairspray, perms, heating tools). That criterion doesn't hold for other design, like clothing, sadly.

Love this post, IndyDebi.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%