?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?frosting Help Please?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Baking By Baking_Booth Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 5:03pm by dinas27

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:24am
post #1 of 7

I made a vanilla cake with strawberry filliing and want to use a frosting that can be colored red, white & blue. I don't really want to use buttercream but it needs to hold it's shape when decorating. Any ideas/recipes? Does canned frosting work well for this?

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:15am
post #2 of 7

canned frosting does not hole it's shape well, especially after adding color. There are dozens of different 'buttercreams'.

If you are using an all shortening version, try replacing some of the shortening with butter for better flavor.

Red and blue requires a lot of color. If you don't have Americolor Gel, the red could taste awful.

Baking_Booth Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:51am
post #3 of 7

The recipe I have is for !/2 shortening and 1/2 butter. It tastes okay but it needs more/better flavor. Any easy flavor suggestions that would compliment the strawberry & vanilla? The food color I'm using is from Wilton, it's worked really well in the past for me.

Thanks for your help!!!!
thumbs_up.gif

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:13am
post #4 of 7

Tanya,
I usually always add a bit of almond extract to my buttercream, in addition to the vanilla. Also, a touch of salt - it helps get rid of that powdered sugar taste.
Good Luck!
Jen

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:29am
post #5 of 7

I really like Toba Garett's French Vanilla Buttercream - with milk, butter and whipping cream its less buttery than IMBC or SMBC and no powdered sugar.

Baking_Booth Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 7

I searched for that and I can't find it. Do you know where it is?

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 7

i dont see it posted online anywhere but it is available in her book The Well Decorated Cake

The whole book is an excellent resource and I would recommend purchasing it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%