Help!! I Need Quick Advice On Black Fondant

Decorating By amazinggracecakedesigns Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 12:14am by MacsMom

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 5

I have a last minute cake order that has to be done quickly. The cake that the girl wanted is 2 tier, hot pink with black & white circles & diamond shapes. I need advice on how to get black fondant quickly. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:04am
post #2 of 5

If you have chocolate fondant, then use a small amount of black to color it. if you only have white fondant, melt some chocolate and add it to the fondant. i contacted satin ice a while back, and they said it wouldn't affect the fondant using melted chocolate. all i had was unsweetened baking squares, so i used 2 of those for the amount of fondant that i needed, then added a bit of black color, and it came out great.
also, make sure you keep your hands greased well with shortening as you're mixing in your color. it always helps me when coloring, seems to make the color mix more smoothly, evenly, and quickly. hope this helps.

becky

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:07am
post #3 of 5

You can also use Hershey's dark chocolate cocoa powder. It makes it REALLY black and you don't have to add much food coloring - if any at all.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:09am
post #4 of 5

If you can, buy black fondant. I don't know how quickly you could find that though. If not, use a ton of Americolor gel. I know that's probably not very helpful, but I can't think of any other way.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:14am
post #5 of 5

If it's MMF, I add a little cocoa powder to the melted MMs before adding the PS. About 3 T. Then I use about half a jar of Wilton black (or Americolor if that's what you have).

I want to try the melted chocolate, though--I think the consistency might come out better. If you have the chance, try it both ways. Be sure to use glycerine (I add 1T per batch).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%