Oh No...big Screw Up!

Decorating By Heatherly30 Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm by loriemoms

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake that will have chocolate carpenter tools, nuts and bolts on it. I read that I should use highlighter dust to give them the silvery sheen look. I have everything dusted, and now I am reading that it is non-edible. I was going to place the tools on the cake, will this be safe? Obviously, we won't be eating the tools, but will the cake be ok, or do I need to start over and use luster dust instead? Grrrrr...

3 replies
kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 4

I found this link about the dust that says it's non-toxic and considered edible in Europe but not in the US. It says that it is at your own discretion if you eat it. I think it would most likely be ok to still put the decor on the cake but eating them is up to you.
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/dusts.htm#highlighter

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 4

Can you put something between the cake and the tools? Maybe cover a piece of cardboard with fondant or even buttercream.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 4

Its not FDA approved, but that doesnt mean its not edible. I think the small amount you use doesnt matter,I guess if someone took the entire little jar and ate it, it might make them feel a little queezie...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%