A Plea For Thread Subject Lines

Decorating By ac2steachk Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 2:58am by ac2steachk

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 23

Hi everyone,
When writing a subject line for a thread you start, think about people who will do searches to find it -- or about people who only click on threads they recognize as having info they are interested in.

A subject like "NFSC question" will get the attention of people who make or are interested in making NSFC.

A subject like "a question today" will get the attention of people who have more time to browse the threads, but may not catch as many people who are NSFC (or whatever your question subject is) fans.

I personally have found it difficult to find threads, even ones I have saved in my files, a month or so later because I don't recognize the topic from the title it was given. I have to dig through many threads to finally find what I want--if I can find it.

Thanks for considering the subject line when you post.

-allison

22 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 23

I'll back you up on this one. It's my biggest pet peeve.

My biggest peeve is the "dot dot dot" lines. when I see a subject line of "How do I......?", I have this big urge to respond with ".....finish a sentence?" icon_lol.gif CC doesn't charge us per word so it's ok to use a lot of them.

Subject lines like "question on gumpaste" will get more responses than "question". I don't work in gumpaste so I wouldn't have a need to go into this thread since I can't help. The gumpaste experts may overlook this question because there's nothing to really attract their attn.

I think it's good to mention this once in awhile as reminders and for the new folks who pop in here every single day.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 23

I'm with you! I often skip over posts that don't really tell me what they are about, expecially if my time online is limited. I open threads based on what the subject lines say.

Indy, when I see the "How do I?" posts, I always think 'carefully' as a reply.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 23

I am jumping on this bandwagon as well.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 23

Yep, my best answer to most "How do I" questions is "very carefully" too.

I spend a lot of time here, but I generally don't read the threads without something in the subject that at least gives a clue to what they are talking about or what they want to know.

When I saw the one this week about a question that has never been asked before, I knew it was just a come-on, there is no such thing as a question on here that has never before been asked.

I fully agree with all of you. Be more specific, it doesn't cost anything at all to post the questions, and it sure would make it easier for searching and referencing, besides shortening time spent trying to read all the threads.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 23

It would be tremendously helpful to have the actual question in the subject line. I skip over non-specific subject lines many times because I don't feel like reading through posts that I can't give a decent answer.

Thanks for posting this.

Michele

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 23

I agree 100%! I have tried to search for something I may have a question about before, because more than likely it's been asked before. But it always brings up threads that has that word that I looking for in it, even though it doesn't have a thing to do with what I'm looking for. So basically, the search function is mute and 99% of the time - a waste of time.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 23

Excellent point, thanks for bringing it up thumbs_up.gif .

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 23

ditto. In several business writing classes I've had, one of the main topics in the subject line, especially in an email (or on a forum). You get what you need and it doesn't waste someone else's time.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 23

Thank you so much for posting this!!!!

It drives me crazy when there is some vague subject line that tells nothing about the post!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #11 of 23

I will agree on this one also. I know they are cute and clever, but I want to know exactly what the question is.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #12 of 23

Thank you so much for posting this. I am new to forums in general including this one and I will admit I am guilty of the "How do I....." subject line. I was immitating what I saw on here and thought I was doing goodicon_smile.gif I know better now. Thanks!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 23

I so agree; it will help everyone to get more responses and actual help if we all post our topic in the subject line.

When there are so many posts every day, I have to admit I only open ones that have a subject line that I think I can help with or have interest in the responses to.

If they just say "HELP please...!" most often I just scroll on past, so definitely, be as specific as possible.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #14 of 23

I totally agree on this subject, and thank you for bringing it up. Succinct is more attention grabbing that elusiveness. I think others think more will check it out if there are ellipses involved in the subject line. AND at the risk of totally offending everyone... the subject lines begging for people to simply look at their cake and explain why someone else had an issue with it drive me absolutely NUTS!!! IMHO, that's just a plea designed to up their viewing numbers. Now, to be fair, the lines asking for a true assessment on a cake issue are fair subjects and warrant attention.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:53pm
post #15 of 23

I agree with Indydebi, it doesn't cost anything to use a few more words and will help you get more responses. If there's no subject I don't even look at the thread.

jamalyn1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamalyn1 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #16 of 23

I agree 100% too. I am a very new member, but hate it when there's a subject line that says Help.....but can I truly help? I don't like wastin my time lol I have 2 boys.

jamalyn1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamalyn1 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #17 of 23

I agree 100% too. I am a very new member, but hate it when there's a subject line that says Help.....but can I truly help? I don't like wastin my time lol I have 2 boys.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:29pm
post #18 of 23

It doesn't matter to me. I can't understand what 1/2 you women are talking about most of the time anyways. icon_biggrin.gif Hehehehehehe

Mike

LovelyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCreations Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm
post #19 of 23

I completely agree! I also agree with one of the topics posted a few months back about "Needing a little IndyDebi for my shoulder". Indy, you always crack me up!

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #20 of 23

Ditto with all of the above!!! Thanks for posting this thread.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #21 of 23

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for posting this.

Now...can we talk about you're/your, they're/their/there? Just a pet peeve of mine that's incredibly minor in the grand scheme of life. No need to change/discuss. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

Now...can we talk about you're/your, they're/their/there? Just a pet peeve of mine that's incredibly minor in the grand scheme of life. No need to change/discuss. icon_wink.gif

YES YES YES YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

My #1 peeve of life is the mis-use of the 3 forms of these words!! (NOW you've done it!! My adrenaline is flowing now! Oh well .... I need the extra energy to finish shampooing my carpets, so it all works out! icon_wink.gif )

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:58am
post #23 of 23

Here's a bump for all you late-night people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%