Should I Participate At The Bridal Event?

Business By lizadams Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm by lizadams

lizadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizadams Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:45am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, can someone help me with what they think I should do. I have been offered to participate at a bridal event which I want to do, but the problem is I am not license at the moment which you are suppose to in the state of Oklahoma and I don't want to get in trouble. I have been doing cake for friends and family since janurary 08 and yes I know I need to be license but right now I cannot afford to put in a commerical kitchen and there is not place to rent with a commerical kitchen, and no one will loan me a business loan because I have not been in business for two years. So I am not having much luck. I really want to do the bridal event because it would be a great way to get more customers and expand my business and of course get more money, but I don't want to be closed down as well. Please someone help me!! thanks for your comments!~liz icon_eek.gif

5 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:09am
post #2 of 6

Sorry but if you need to be licensed to do business in your area then i wouldn't do it thumbsdown.gif

lizadams Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:55am
post #3 of 6

True, that is what I am afraid of. thanks for the advice! icon_cry.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 6

No, don't do it.

My health dept inspector was telling me that when she gets the list of participants at a bridal show, then she has to check it out ... if there is someone on the lis that she doesn't recognize, she calls the show organizer to find out where they are from (they may be from another county, which is why she doesnt' recognize them).

The only thing I heard was "when she gets the list". The folks organizing the show are required to give the HD a list of participants. So the show may not ask if you are licensed ... the show may not want to see your license ... the show may not even require that you be licensed.

But your name may be waved in front of the HD inspector without you knowing it.

My inspector told me she had to shut down 2 cake ladies at last year's big bridal show ... she had to go to their home and give them the cease-n-desist speech. These woman paid at least $2000 to be in the show, too.

gateauxdamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxdamour Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 6

Professionally, I'm a licensed caterer and only bake cakes as a hobby (pro bakers on staff). So I've heard more about what happens after the bridal shows...

1) I have to second indydebi's response. She is absolutely correct.

2) In addition, I have also seen bakers with an ax to grind go out of their way to get details on everybody in attendance and then give the HD inspector a call.

So, not to be a negative nelly, but I can see where this would be a situation that could cause you a lot of grief in the long run. It might not this time, but the odds are against you, in my experience.

lizadams Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 6

icon_surprised.gif Thank you so much for your response. I am truely glad I ask ya'll instead of taken a chance. Hopefully soon I will get my business going on my property and enter next year! Thanks!!denasdelights

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%