Ratted Out!

Decorating By ANicole Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm by cvigil

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 20

Well, a long time ago I had a cake disaster I posted about. I was REALLY new to decorating and had made my first wedding cake (long story) for a family member. Never in my wildest imagination would I ever have thought my posts would get back to the bride (my family). I found out that her friend, a decorator, saw my story, put two and two together, and showed it to the bride! The worst part is that it involves family and puts me in a tough spot with them now!

I am going to probably change my screen name now because it creeps me out to know that anything I say on here could get back to family. Chalk it up to another life lesson. Just wanted to warn you guys that this could happen!

Amber

19 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 20

I am so surprised how many people vent their feelings about clients and brides on this forum.

ALL discussion here is public. There is no way of telling who may be lurking.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 20

all public and indexed by Google....only a search away!

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 20

Sorry that happened. I would pick someone you are close to on here and PM that person when you need to vent about a customer/client/family/friend. Even tho it is a public forum, it still stinks that you can't be honest with your feelings in fear that someone is lurking that you know and will ultimately rat you out.

ANicole Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 20

This was so long ago, that I really wasn't thinking that way. Like I said, I totally learned my lesson the hard way! It was so anonymous though. I still really can't believe this person pieced it together to figure out that it was me and that I was talking about who I was talking about. In my mind, the odds of that happening are SO slim. I didn't name names or anything. I was just saying "my aunt" or "my cousin". I don't have my full name on here.....

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 20

I feel so bad that this happened to you. I will be more careful about what I post from now on.

I do understand that this is public, but I would be hurt if what I said got back to people. I thought it was like a "code of ethics", we should watch out for each others backs. It's really to bad.

Hiow many people have put, "this is my first wedding cake"", or "I have never done this help". I thought this was a place to learn and ask for help. I can't imagine that other people haven't had cake disasters and wouldn't want it to get back to the client.

I guess I will vent in an e-mail and send it to myself.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:36am
post #7 of 20

So sorry that happened.

I got impatient with a girl on here who is a great decorator but she was totally spilling her guts the wrong way. I encouraged her to delete the thread. She did remove her website from printing on every post and removed her city. But I googled her CC screen name and I got her website and name and everything. (swing batter swing) All a competitor needs to do is put 2 n 2 together dot dot dot

If I had me a sweet little legal business I would not chance that over my ego getting a little bruised for NUTHIN!

I Love this saying,
"If you would be irrated by every rub how will you be polished?" Rumi

I'm really sorry that happened, being betrayed like that is unthinkable and still yet it happens. So according to Rumi you will shine brighter now. Like oh by the way holding the light up so we can all see better -- sharing with us so we can be forewarned. Thank you!

I have a friend who was fired, f-i-r-e-d from her job for venting online. Hello-o. Omg if any of you are friends with that one girl get her to delete that thread! For crying out loud.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:04am
post #8 of 20

That really, pardon my expression, sucks. It's weird though that a lot of us give so much personal info out on here. When I saw this thread, I was betting someone got in trouble for not being licensed. I'm not knocking it, so please no one get their panties in a bundle.... However, since I joined CC, I've gotten at least half a dozen messages from people in my state asking me if I was licensed or just making cakes "on the side". I swear, each of them basically said the same thing. They're all nicely worded, but I always wonder if they just want to get someone in trouble. Each time I have replied with a little note and a question or so and I've never gotten a reply. If I was selling cakes without a license, would I have my name AND city listed? NO!! The sad part about people not getting back to me is that I'd really like to have other people I can recommend when I'm asked if I can bake a cake to sell to someone. I always say no, I'm not licensed, it would be awesome to have another CCer to send them to. But no one ever gets back to meicon_sad.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #9 of 20

Wow that stinks. Hope it all smooths out.

Mike

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:18am
post #10 of 20

Is there a chance she recognized your cake in the gallery? Then she could have clicked on your screen name and read all of your posts... sorry this happened, but in time it will get better.

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:19pm
post #11 of 20

I am very sorry this happened to you. Why would people do such a thing? I swear, people, especially women, love to see someone get hammered. It is like back in school. In this respect, seems like women just don't grow up. I feel terrible that this happened to you.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:35pm
post #12 of 20

That really sucks! To me, there are enough cakes to go around decorators and there should be some kind of code! The place that I go to for supplies also bakes cakes. The owners are terrific and share info with me all the time. They don't mind sharing with me and I them (they're predominantly french speaking and don't follow CC, so stuff I've learned here they learn through me). It is a shame not everyone can be so friendly between decorators.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:41pm
post #13 of 20

I'm guessing you must have said something pretty bad in frustration, never thinking it would bite you in the butt. I'm so sorry this happened. It always feels better to vent to people who understand. I'm with the others though...I am careful with anything that could possibly get back to anyone else. I didn't have ANY personal information on here for a year. You just never know. I hope you are able to smooth things over. Luckily, family (usually) understands you better than anyone and also understands when you need to vent.

I hope you are all able to overcome this and learn from it as well. The decorator friend is probably reading this one too you know.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:47pm
post #14 of 20

When I read the original post, I thought you were going to get busted for illegal business, but I think what happened to you is worse. And I agree with another poster who said some people just lurk for the downfall of others. Really sad because this is the site to learn and vent. Guess it's now just about learning and not venting! Sad, when all of us are in the same boat at times and it's nice to know it happens to everyone and we all understand. Guess it's all in how you word it.

Sorry this happened.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:47pm
post #15 of 20

I just want to say that I am sorry that happened to you.

Sometimes we all need to come here and ask advice or simply vent about something specific. We have all experienced how many times people outside of the cake/cookie world don't understand what we go through.

I think something like this makes us all step back and think that

A- you never know who is on here really

and

B- everyone that is on here does not wish us well. Fortunately, that is the exception and not the rule.

I hope things smooth over for you. Family drama is not fun (going through a bit of it myself right now).

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:01pm
post #16 of 20

Oh, I am so sorry!
About a year ago I sersiously embarrassed myself here. Someone told me "Don't ever put anything on here that you wouldn't want your grandma reading" meaning, like Doug said, it's very easily found!
This is something I am still trying to learn. Posting bad things will let other decorators know what is going on with my business, etc.
It will be OK-really. It WILL blow over...just give it some time, and learn from the mistake.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:13pm
post #17 of 20

So So sorrry to hear about this icon_cry.gif Thanks for posting this, I've never vented yet & now I definately will not! I guess what people are saying is right. You can google anything & find out info. We all should be a bit paranoid at times for our own safety. Hope everthing gets worked out with your family.

ANicole Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:21pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks guys! I feel a lot better about it all today. My family has been on my side totally. They said all I did was tell the truth, so I shouldn't worry. I am still going to change my screen name if possible. I contacted CC to see if they'll do it for me. Off to make another cake!

Amber

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:32pm
post #19 of 20

Karma will get her.

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #20 of 20

Man, I guess for me what happens on CC stays on CC. I know we should watch what we say, but sometimes it's hard when you need someone that will understand your pain. This is just a place where there are a lot of us that know what it feels like and can give sound advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%