Can You Half A Cake Mix??

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 3

I'm sitting here thinking about what I want to make for dessert for the 4th and I am considering cupcakes. I was looking through the recipes from the cupcake thread and many of them sound good. So now I can't decide what to do! Having to many choices to pick from can be as bad as not having enough.

I don't know tons of cupcakes, so I was wondering if anyone has tried halving recipes that involve cake mixes? I don't have a scale but I thought maybe I could just measure it out. In theory I can see this working, but that's just theory. Is there any reason why it would hurt the mix to half it? Any reason it won't work right? Any suggestions from someone that has done it?

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 3

I don't see why it wouldn't work. You could make the batch and freeze some.

Also, I highly recommend a food scale. It can be invaluable with baking.

get one that also measures metric and has a 'tare' button. It resets the scale to zero so you can place a bowl on the scale, reset to zero, then add the ingredient. you can reset that to zero and measure more. It is terrific.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 3

I thought about freezing it as well. I currently have some pineapple cake mix in the frezer, but it is my first time doing that so I'm not sure how it turns out for me. icon_smile.gif

Two of the recipes start with white cake mix, so I thought I could just spilt it. Two birds one stone, ya know?

I'll have to look into a scale, where is the best place to get one? Can you get a decent one at Walmart of is a place like Linings N Things better?

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%