Impression Mat On Buttercream?

Decorating By BJ Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 9:02pm by yayadesigns

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 6

I have a diamond pattern impression mat that I'd like to use on the side of a cake that will be covered in BC - How do I do this? I'm thinking that I have to let the BC crust and then just press the mat into the icing - my question is will the icing stick to the mat? I've never done this before. I've only done it with fondant. Any help would be appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
nancylynwallace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 6

I've done it a lot! Make sure that your icing is good and crusted. Then make sure that you line up your patterns (start at the back...trust me) very rarely will it come out even! Don't press too hard but with a gentle firmness. HTH

Nancy

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 6

I just did this on the grad cake in my gallery. I dusted it with my Powdered Sugar puff between presses (after it was good and crusted) to make sure it didn't stick at all. Also, don't press end to end just use the middle portion and then reline up and go again. Make sure you decide the back and start there because the pattern won't line up exactly at the point where it meets.

HTH

Judi

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 6

I use mine often. Let the cake crust for at least 20 minutes -any sooner and it may stick. I don't use powdered sugar or anything to dust the mat with. You don't have to if it is well and crusted. Good luck!

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all so much. thumbs_up.gif

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 6

I use the mats and even though I let my BC crust, I sometimes have a problem with sticking, so I will sometimes place a viva papertowel between the cake & mat and I have had good success with that method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%