Health Dept. Inspection Tomorrow!

Business By SugarMama602 Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 1:56am by itsacake

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:56am
post #31 of 31

First of all, congratulations on passing your inspection!!!!!

Then, I have to say even though I would NEVER suppose I know more than a health inspector, I think you might check with someone else in the department because I've read studies that showed that wooden cutting boards were actually more deadly to bacteria than other surfaces, and so what he is saying is a little odd.

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

And what about the time honoured tradition of wooden salad bowls and skewers. Cold it be that these are not food safe?

Also, with respect to eggs. For a cake to test done, it is usually above 185 degrees internally (maybe not a molten chocolate cake) so the eggs would automatically be pasteurized. That happens when 160 degrees is reached or 140 degrees is reached and held for 3 minutes. The chefs left baked goods out sometimes even over a weekend as refrigeration is not good for many baked goods. And as far as UHT goes, pasteurized is pasteurized, the method shouldn't matter as far as we learned in school. You can even do it yourself as in Swiss Meringue. In any case, baked goods are known to be not very "potentially hazardous" because the oven heat kills most things. For icing or for cakes which stay uncooked in the middle, I'd be concerned. Otherwise, consider respectfully getting a second opinion. It is hard enough to make a profit in this business without having to use expensive products when they are not needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%