Did I Charge Too Much For This Cake?

Business By yelle66 Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 3:29am by Ruth0209

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 31

Okay, so someone called today with an order which I really wanted to do until I talked to her. She was very picky about colors (a soft blue, not a teal blue and not baby blue-WTH kind of blue do you want then?) and she wants a hint of almond flavoring but not a lot. Okay, so I was a little annoyed by the time she was telling me how many drops of flavoring to add to the filling. Then she asked if they would need to pick it up and I said "Well, I can deliver it." She said "Oh, that probably costs, though, huh?" I said yes, but it would only be about $5. So, after going through this whole order, she asks how much it will be for an 8 inch square present cake with a fondant bow and I tell her $37 ($2 a serving and $7 extra for the bow) She said "Well, let me talk to my husband and call you back if that's okay (which is usually what I say when something is too much $$). I'm going to attach a pic of the cake that I would do except with a light blue bow and white fondant and tell me if you think $37 is too much?
LL

30 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 31

No.

An 8" square is 24 servings (by Earlene's chart), so at $2/serving that's at least $48, and I think $2/serving for fondant with a handmade bow is too low. For $37 I think you're hardly going to be making any money on it at all. icon_sad.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 31

Is that a one layer? Wait, you said 'filling' so it's a two layer.

If it's 2-layer then believe me they will cut more than 15 servings out of it. I mean if it was my party I'd be cutting 30 servings. So times 2 is $60 plus $7 for the bow is $67.

Adrianita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adrianita Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 31

$37.00 too much? wow...
I use the Wilton chart for pricing purposes only, so a 8" Sq. serves 32 X$3.00 (this is my BASE price)=$96.00, not one penny less.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 31

CRAP! I always do that! I looked at Earlenes round cake serving. I was trying to figure it out and call her back quickly so I don't look like too much of a moron. URG. Oh well. I really won't be too disappointed if she doesn't call me back. Thanks ladies,

Danielle

tridley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tridley Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 31

No, I think you under charged. I've never gone by a pricing chart, but I think you should have charged $45.00 minimum. It looks like you put alot of work into it. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 31

Umm . . .I get $40 for a bow.

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 31

I have priced that same style and size of cake at $60.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 31

For a single tier cake like this square 8" cake it would be at least $75 - and that is $25 short of my minimum.

I think you WAY under charged.

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 31

I would have charged $45.00 for the cake and $5.00 extra "just for her being "so picky" about colors, # of almond drops, etc.".. icon_twisted.gif

Good luck anyhoo....... icon_wink.gif

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 31

Wooo she is really getting a gift, that is really underpriced, I charge $35 for just for the bow, even is she said yes I would not do it, I would be like I am now booked for that week, sorry, you took to long to get back to me. If she said no, your off the hook.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 31

Would you have done a powder blue, or a sky blue? I really think that matters (just kidding!!) OMG, she is WAY too picky if she's telling the Baker how to bake the cake, maybe SHE should bake it? I agree that you should charge more. Any sculpted cake serving 20+ is at least $45.00... and that's if I have NO carving involved (& no fondant bow!). I hope she doesn't call you back, but if she does, make sure to let you know that you made a mistake on the pricing, by looking too quickly & at a wrong chart - and of course you have to honor the price you told her.... but don't let her think she can get future cakes that cheap!

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 31

I wouldn't have let that cake go for less than $65. I would have charged her a $10 PIA fee on top of that.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #14 of 31

I also think that you undercharged yourself. Hopefully she doesn't call you back, because I don't think any color blue would make her happy.

I did a blue square with a white bow cake, it is in my pictures.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #15 of 31

Knowing how long it takes to do a cake and the cost of ingredients. I've already made up my mind that I won't do any cake (no matter what the size) for less than $50. It's just not worth it.

Let us know what happens.

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm
post #16 of 31

I would easliy paid $70 and not had any second thoughts! People want jaw dropping cakes at bargain basement prices! lol

eesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eesmith Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #17 of 31

If anyone has a chart that works for pricing, because the samething always happen to me. What I do know, I call them back with the price, that way, I don't undercharge.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:40pm
post #18 of 31

i agree with everyone here. you definitly undercharged, these cakes take a lot of time and are a work of art. 1 question $40.00 for just a bow?????????? wow
i havent sold any of mine yet and always wondered how to go about charging correctly and determining the work on the cake. is there a standard that you go by?
thanks
LL

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:40pm
post #19 of 31

a double layer 8" square is 30 servings.. Fondant starts at $5.50/serving for me.. the bow would be an extra $25. That's $190.00.. nope.. you didn't over-charge. icon_wink.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:57pm
post #20 of 31

I use the Wilton charts as they are standard in the biz. For party cakes, an 8" square serves 16. (I'm looking at the chart right now.) My fondant charge is $3.50 per serving, so $56 for the cake + $40 for the bow. That's been my bow price for a couple of years - no objections from clients. So $96 for the cake. My minimum delivery charge is $30 and that's only for something within literally 2 blocks of my hosue. other than that it's about $50 to deliver. I don't deliver party cakes much. icon_smile.gif

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:57pm
post #21 of 31

I agree with everyone else, I think you undercharge for such a pretty cake, what is it with this people? don't' they realize that when we go to the store to get our ingredients we are not getting them for free and we are not negotiating prices at the grocery store or with the gas company!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

have faith in your work and know what your work it's worth and if they don't like it then that's their lost! thumbs_up.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:44am
post #22 of 31

$45 including taxes is what i would have charged-no delivery. Our minimum for delivery is $20.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #23 of 31

OMG! That's way too low! One thing our instructor at CS told us was, and I never forget- "Don't ever undercharge!"

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:38am
post #24 of 31

Please Please Please now that you know that you charged WAAAAY too little, and she didn't take advantage, please promise me that when she calls back to order you'll say " I don't know, I have to go ask my husband if I can sell it to you for that ."

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:53am
post #25 of 31

I'm making an 8 inch square cake w/o fondant this weekend and charging $64. However, it is for a friend and I want to practice with fondant so I'm throwing it in for free (my little gift to her for her bridal shower). I agree with everyone, you definately undercharged.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:18am
post #26 of 31

I would charge $60 for buttercream with fondant bow- no filling.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #27 of 31

75.00 plus 15.00 for that bow...

Your weeding them out my friend.... weed the ones out that don't know QUALITY ...

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:53am
post #28 of 31

The cheapest I've seen a cake like that offered here is $65, and that's not including delivery fees. So yeah, double your charge. Shoot, will $37 even cover the gas to deliver it?! icon_confused.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #29 of 31

It won't be long ladies that we will have to charge more for delivery then the cakes icon_sad.gif

cupcakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakers Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:27am
post #30 of 31

You gave her a bargin price and by the sound of it hopefully she won't call you back!!Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%