Anyone Sift Cake Mixes? What Is The Stuff That Won't Go Thr

Decorating By cocobean Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 1:36am by -K8memphis

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:39am
post #1 of 22

Do you ever sift your cake mixes? Is it a good idea? I read about one gal who does it so I have been doing that today. I have been using Betty Crocker. Each cake mix has about 2 t. of this stuff that won't go through the strainer. What is it and should I have left it in the mix instead of throwing it out each time. Could it be an important flavor ingredient that melts or something? Anyone have a clue???

21 replies
twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #2 of 22

I sift because it seems to make the cakes have less holes and bakes up more level. I use a spoon to crush that stuff and push it through the sifter. I have no idea what it is but I figure since they put it in there, I should too icon_smile.gif

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:01am
post #3 of 22

I've always sifted and the small items are salt and clumps of fats. I always just dump them back into the bowl, except I break up the fat clumps with a spoon.

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:06am
post #4 of 22

I always sift and I think it makes a big difference in the cake. I don't know why there are lumps at the bottom but I just take a spoon and push them through the sifter.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:19am
post #5 of 22

I always sift and push those bits through. Whatever won't go through, i just throw out.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:55am
post #6 of 22

Also sift and push the hard bits through with a spoon. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:18pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I always sift and push those bits through. Whatever won't go through, i just throw out.

that's what I do.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 22

Omg are you kidding? Get outa town!! That stuff in the bottom of the sifter is the toxic waste that when people eat the cake and then exhale the kryptonite like fumes will actually wilt eyelashes, hairdos and nearby plants, duncanhouse gas and all that. Not only that but other heartier plants that don't actually succumb will turn irreversibly gummy.

On the up side you can use it to polish shoes and cars if wearing OSHA approved protective coverings but don't be silly not if you're pregant or around small children, pets or anyone under or over the age of 40. Can be substituted for red paint on matchbox car kits.

So long as you chant 'I shall not lie! I shall not lie'! alternating with the phrase "chemicals kill! chemicals kill!" and post it on your ingredient list as slightly used anti-siftable toxic dregs you will avoid several levels of hell but not all of them.

That's right you will scratch in the bowels of the hot place at three hundred and fifty degrees plus or minus 25 for about an hour give or take a few until someone in the name of justice without mercy sticks a toothpick in you. If it comes out gooey--4gedabodit!

Send a self addressed stamped email and you'll receive the dance steps for the full moon events.

icon_biggrin.gif

re:http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-592926.html

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 22

having actually tasted those big things...(yep, that's a boy for ya!)

it's large crystals of SUGAR....(that legal poison so some would say!)

try this.... take a cup of sugar fresh from the bag and sift it. well goooollllllyyyyy....those same big crystals.

and the clumpy stuff, which is usually white, flour most of the time. (OH NO -- WHEAT, GLUTEN! --- more poisons!!!! according to some)

I usually push the flour through and dump the large crystals on the theory they won't dissolve fully and easily)

(getting SO tired of the "CHEMICALS!!!!" rants --- It's ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! chemicals!!!! as any chemist or biochemist will tell you. And fyi -- think about it...the two oldest PRESERVATIVES (aka poisons that kill stuff we don't want growing on/in foods are....

SALT and SUGAR --- so don't bother me with the chemical rants!)

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #10 of 22

Doug-buddy, your dance steps are on the way!!!
Last one there's a rotten cake mix!!! icon_biggrin.gif
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 22

I've always sifted and just pushed the rest with a spoon. Haven't been really to worried about.

I'm also getting a little tired of the chemical rants--if YOU don't like the (chemicals) then DON"T YOU USE THEM. We have a wonderful thing called personal choice--I think we should use it a little bit more.

Alright, sorry if I offended anyone, but it's getting a little ridiculous.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyellam

I've always sifted and just pushed the rest with a spoon. Haven't been really to worried about.

I'm also getting a little tired of the chemical rants--if YOU don't like the (chemicals) then DON"T YOU USE THEM. We have a wonderful thing called personal choice--I think we should use it a little bit more.

I like chemicals. I was using my freedom to be amusing. I don't really think I will go to hell for using them. Prolly get stuck with the toothpick but oh well.

Doug Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

I like chemicals. I was using my freedom to be amusing. I don't really think I will go to hell for using them. Prolly get stuck with the toothpick but oh well.

ok...having gone to your site where you prove you like chemicals....

just what the heck would you use "cavis" for? Are they edible? do you dissolve them in something? smear them on some kind of cracker? pop them in the mouth? VERY inventive i must say -- tho' considering my typical lack of patience i'd have mostly loch ness monsters or snakes

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

Quote:

ok...having gone to your site where you prove you like chemicals....

just what the heck would you use "cavis" for? Are they edible? do you dissolve them in something? smear them on some kind of cracker? pop them in the mouth? VERY inventive i must say -- tho' considering my typical lack of patience i'd have mostly loch ness monsters or snakes

Yeah totally edible--craziest thing on the planet--Dude, it's iced tea in caviar form--kid you not. It just gently melts/pops in your mouth.

But chefs at the highest levels have refined and use this stuff for thier savory and sweet sides. They make caviar out of anything. I've seen chocolate caviar made in a completley different way but anything liquid can be made into caviar or ravioli is another popular shape.

Hey, they will make a sphere inside a sphere--they will do the lemon sphere inside the tea one for example. Even crazier huh?

Loch ness monsters are cool. But cavies are easy peasy--if you scroll the whole thing I show you how easy it is--I think it's on the second page. The format of that board changed so you just gotta scroll the whole thread to find it. Could not be easier or more fun either. I mean Ferran Adria of El Bulli fame perfected that recently. He puts the 'razor sharp' on cutting edge techniques.

See it was an Iron Baker challenge on egullet. Like play pretend being a for real pastry cheflette. My job was to deconstruct sweet Southern iced tea and add a welcoming touch.

The components in iced tea, are the tea, lemon, sugar, ice cubes and the glass would be glistening with sweat. Occupational hazard of drinking cold tea on a hot day.

So if you check the pictures
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=94987&st=42 notice the lemon tea caviar is on the outside of the upturned glass representing the glistening sweat spilling out and down the side over the plate beneath. The cubes of cake represent the ice cubes of course.

Three flavors of cake, mint angel food, rose angel food and lavendar pound cake arranged on apricot flavored rose petals. I thought the florals represented the homey comfy welcome.

So the diner tears open a cake cube and scarfs up a wad of caviar and pops it in their mouth. Eating with your fingers is very 'down home'. So it's tea and cake in one bite. icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm
post #15 of 22

for K8memphis....

limits on base ingredient?

how do you top the peeing?

can they be frozen?

application to cake?

---

great presentation of deconstruction -- like second on (with the funky margarita glass best)

where can I find the recipes for the cookies and cakes?

----

amazing how much fun one can have playing with food.

ladyellam Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:40pm
post #16 of 22

k8memphis--Sorry about the rant. You can spank me later. I think I've been on too many boards listening to people ranting and it got the better of me.

I must say EXTREMELY COOL on the sweet tea caviar!

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:35pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:

for K8memphis....

limits on base ingredient?

how do you stop the peeing?

can they be frozen?

application to cake?

---

great presentation of deconstruction -- like second on (with the funky margarita glass best)

where can I find the recipes for the cookies and cakes?

----

amazing how much fun one can have playing with food.

limits on base ingredient? Your imagination

how do you stop the peeing? Doing a ph test and balancing things out more carefully than I had to do for a photograph.

can they be frozen? Yes--that's how they insert one sphere into the next actually

application to cake? In general there's no real application to cake. Just let your imagination run wild. It's just that I'm a caker and I was trying to think of some way to serve this crazy stuff so I just thought of like smooshing the cavis up into the cake cube

---

great presentation of deconstruction -- like second one (with the funky margarita glass best) Thank you--me too.

where can I find the recipes for the cookies and cakes? Agh recipes? I winged it. Dude, those cookies were freaking killer! I made a Southern Comfort spiked sweet tea jelly and spread it on a pecan linzer cookie. I loved that cookie best--the presentation was so simple but I just was thrilled with it--and it tasted like no tomorrow wonderful.

Here's the only one I guess I wrote out.

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1862.html

Well I went digging and I found my notes for cookies and jelly.

I used all toasted pecans. Killer!

The mint angel food, I just lined the pan with mint leaves and it worked! I was concerned about oil in the leaves but it worked. And the rose angel food, I just put some rose water in the angel food batter.

The lemony thing in the filo dough was Pierre Herme's Lemon cream and I just scrunched up the filo dough over muffin cups and baked it unfilled.

That was wild.

Thanks for asking, CakeBuddy. That challenge was a lot of fun. Pushed me way out of my comfort zone.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:

k8memphis--Sorry about the rant. You can spank me later. I think I've been on too many boards listening to people ranting and it got the better of me.

I must say EXTREMELY COOL on the sweet tea caviar!

Oh no worries!

Thank you!

Doug Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:31am
post #19 of 22
Quote:

so.....does this mean we could do buttercream or ganache ones?

hmmmm....

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #20 of 22
Quote:

Quote:

so.....does this mean we could do buttercream or ganache ones?

hmmmm....

Buttercream is not a liquid. Well of course with the recent trans fat removal from the shortening it gets close. Maybe umm, petit four glaze stuff, y'know liquid fondant. Ganache or chocolate is a whole nuther ball of wax. I saw Keegan Gerhart do it once and he dropped it into oil--mighta been cold oil can't remember but I got notes around here somewhere. But still it's a learning curve for sure to repeat that.

Now like say for example apple juice caviar--you wanna get the ph correct. That would be fun with snickerdoodles or cinnamon rolls for an apple pie-ish thing. And you prolly saw the photos & stuff so you know it's just an apple juice plus sodium alginate mixture dropped into a calcium chloride bath. Wa la. There are more threads on egullet too. Very helpful. Jonathan somebody has a great thread on it.

Strawberry shortcake with strawberry cavis.

Y'know let your mind fly. Isn't it fun though?!

ladyellam Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:22am
post #21 of 22

Would you be able to do a pina colada caviar? What about straight liquor? See now my one brain cell is in overdrive thinking of all the concoctions that could come into play.

Instead of ganache, what about a chocolate martini or maybe a vanilla vodka and heavy cream mixture. Or am I way off base?

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:36am
post #22 of 22
Quote:

Would you be able to do a pina colada caviar? What about straight liquor? See now my one brain cell is in overdrive thinking of all the concoctions that could come into play.

Instead of ganache, what about a chocolate martini or maybe a vanilla vodka and heavy cream mixture. Or am I way off base?

I do not recall reading about alcohol caviar. I'm sure the info is out there somewhere. I'm so not an expert on this sutff.

But I do know you must acheive a chemical balance according to the ph and I know that the folks who sell the stuff can advise you. I got mine from willpowder.com and they were awesome. Or google it--of course you use food grade chemicals. And don't forget the great thread on egullet--not mine the Jonathan Guberman one. His last name just came to me.

Omg--pina colada sounds wonnnderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%