Wasc Cake Bakers. Do You Like To Use Reg. Sour Cream Or Lite

Decorating By cocobean Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm by kimmypooh79

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 31

Question for WASC bakers. Do you like to use regular sour cream or lite sour cream? Do you like or dislike the results from either one? I find that if I use regular sc my cake will sink in the middle because (I think) there is too much fat in the recipe. But, it is super moist. If I use the lite sc with less fat my cake does not sink but it is a little less moist. Anyone have similar results? Not sure if I want to fight the sinking problem or the little less moistness result. detective.gif

30 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 31

I use the regular sour cream. Haven't tried the lite. I was thinking someone said that the lite didn't have enough fat lol!!
I haven't had the sinking problem (knock on wood!!) I bake at 325, not sure if that helps or not but works for me.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 31

I like the regular sour cream...I just baked cakes today for a whimsy cake and wouldn't yah know I was taking the first one out and bumped the oven rack above and flipped the dam cake right out of the pan and onto the oven window.I was soooo mad but luckily I had enough sour cream etc to make another half batch...so how was your baking day???

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 31

Oh MAN!!! That stinks!! Now, my luck would have been, bumped it, dumped it and NO sour cream!! lol Glad it worked out for you though!

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 31

I just baked a WASC for a wedding this past weekend. It was a 6", 10" and 16" round. My most recent photo. I had no trouble using regular sour cream. I add a nail head to the middle of the pan to help w/ heat conduction. Maybe you could try that, cocobean.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 31

I use full fat sour cream in my WASC. No problem with it falling. I think if it falls then the batter was overbeaten or a touch underbaked.

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 31

Regular

Jo

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 31

I use light vanilla yogurt instead of sourcream and I replace 2 c of the water with 2 c coffee creamer.

I've never noticed a difference between using full-fat and fat-free coffee creamer, but I have noticed that Duncan Hines always bakes funky with the WASC recipe (I stick with Betty Crocker).

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 31

I can tell the difference in my own cakes when I use lite sour cream. I will use it in a pinch, but I much prefer the regular. It tastes richer and makes a more moist cake. I keep the lite on hand for baked potatoes and such to cut down on fat a little, which is why I will use it in a pinch. I love WASC and I would rather use lite than none at all, or run out at the last minute...lazy I am!

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 31

I only use lite sour cream and itseems to work great for me. icon_smile.gif

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 31

Leaded! Full strength regular only!!!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:49pm
post #12 of 31

When it comes to baking, I always use the whole fat stuff. Regular sour cream, regular cream cheese, whole milk, etc. Apparently, you really can taste a difference.

Now when it comes to me just eating, it's always to fat free stuff. So I have a selection of both around!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #13 of 31

I use the regular sour cream. If your cake is sinking I'm guessing you're underbaking it. I'm not sure the toothpick test works with WASC. I think the center should feel fairly firm. Since I test it that way, no more sinking!

cocobean Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 31

Really, noone is using lite sour cream. O.K. now for some reason I can't think if I have used the nail in the middle on any of these WASC's I've ever made. icon_confused.gif Well I do know I haven't used a nail today. (I've heard that no estrogen affects your memory)! Haven't had any since the hystorectomy 15 years ago. Estrogen that is! Well I'm going to have to finnish these cakes I'm making with the lite sourcream but I'll try my next cakes, with the nail's, and the regular sc. BTW, I promise I never beat my batter over 2-2/12 minutes and always bake on 325 for cakes. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm sure I must have tried the nails and regular sc in other WASC and still had sinking. (me talking to myself)! Oh brother thats a bad sign to. shhh.gif

cocobean Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:18pm
post #15 of 31

O.K. here is something else I do that could add to to much fat along with the regular sc. I use 8 whole eggs instead of 8 egg whites. Does anyone think that is a problem? Maybe I should be using regular sc and only egg whites! Anyone else use the regular sc AND the 8 whole eggs AND not get sinking in the middle? detective.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:29pm
post #16 of 31

That's a big problem.. your batter is too wet if you are using 8 whole eggs. That's the equivalent of about 14-16 egg whites. I'd reduce your eggs to 4-5 large whole eggs and see what happens.. I'm betting you'll have better results. icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:30pm
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

O.K. here is something else I do that could add to to much fat along with the regular sc. I use 8 whole eggs instead of 8 egg whites. Does anyone think that is a problem? Maybe I should be using regular sc and only egg whites! Anyone else use the regular sc AND the 8 whole eggs AND not get sinking in the middle? detective.gif

I would use 6 whole eggs instead of 8. I buy egg whites in a carton from Trader Joes (cheapest at $1.89 per carton). Just twist and pour!

NikkiDoc Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:45am
post #18 of 31

I use 6 whole eggs and it's fine. Maybe it's the 8 whole eggs that's the culprit.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmelendrez

Leaded! Full strength regular only!!!

AMEN! If you're going to the trouble of eating that much sugar and fat - WASC slathered in butter cream - you may as well go all the way or not at all in my opinion.

I use the regular and bake at 325 and didn't even use a flower nail on up to a 12" and they all come out level, no problem. You may end up with sinking in the middle if you check the cake too soon .... especially if you prick it when it's not done. Could that be the trouble?

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:00am
post #20 of 31

I only use regular sour cream. I also bake it at 325 but I use the flower nail

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm
post #21 of 31

It seems I go against the grain then. I ONLY use lite or fat-free sour cream. I've never tasted a difference, and everyone raves about my WASC.

cocobean Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:08pm
post #22 of 31

missmeg, how many eggs do you use in your recipe? Do you do you all 8 whites or 6 whole eggs?

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm
post #23 of 31

I use 6 whole eggs. I don't like egg white products, and I hate separating eggs icon_wink.gif. It gives my "white" cake a soft yellow glow to it.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:05pm
post #24 of 31

I'm new to CC and am still learning the lingo. What is a WASC cake???

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:24pm
post #25 of 31

Things I've substituted in WASC: lite sour cream, yogurt, and mayo when I'm out of everything else. thumbs_up.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm
post #26 of 31

I use 6 whole eggs also. You rarely need a white white cake, plus i'm lazy! icon_smile.gif

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:48pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

White Almond Sour Cream cake -- you can find it on CC in the Recipes section. Yummmm!!!!!

NikkiDoc Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:48pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

Hi Kimmypooh79, welcome. you will love it here! WASC= White Almond Sour Cream cake. Look up the recipe in the recipes on this site. It is basically a cake mix extended with flour, sugar and sour cream. It is an awesome recipe and most people here swear by it, as do I! It makes your cake mix go further so you have more cake to work with, but the best part is that you have the fluffiness of a cake mix with a slightly denser texture and more of a homemade flavor. It is so yummy, one of my very favorite recipes and we all get compliments on it.

1BAKED453 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1BAKED453 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm
post #29 of 31

SORRY, BUT WHAT IS WASC

1BAKED453 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1BAKED453 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:33pm
post #30 of 31

DON'T BOTHER.GOT THE ANSWER.DON'T KNOW HOW I MISSED THE SECOND PAGE.SORRY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%