How Do You Make Perfectly Smooth Dots?

Decorating By photocookiediva Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 12:03am by photocookiediva

photocookiediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
photocookiediva Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 17

I always tend to get a point when trying to create smooth circles or dot with buttercream. What is the trick? What type of tip should I use? icon_smile.gif

16 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 17

Points are inevitable. Just dip your finger in cornstarch and push it down a little. Sometimes it helps to wait 5 or ten minutes and then push down all the points.

I used to think that people could pipe perfect pointless dots but if it can be done, I certainly don't know how to do it. I always keep a little bowl of cornstarch handy when doing any icing work. You can push buttercream around a bit with a cornstarched finger. icon_biggrin.gif

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 17

The one time I did the dots I put the cake in the freezer for a few hours then took it out and with a gloved hand smoothed the point out. Hope this helps

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 17

If you don't want to cut them out of fondant, then after you pipe them go back with a damp finger and pat the point down.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 17

You all use Viva paper towels to smooth your cakes, right???

Tear off a piece of viva, wrap it around your pointing finger, and go to town! I hate pointy dots! icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 17

When you finish piping your smooth circle or dot, stop squeezing completely and bring your tip off of the icing laterally with a little "c" motion. The tip will then shave off any point that wants to form - but you must stop squeezing first or you will just have a sideways pointing peak of icing.

If you learn how to do it correctly, it becomes a habit, and you'll never have to go back and go over your work, so practice, practice, practice. icon_smile.gif

Hmmm, maybe my claim to 15 minutes of fame will be a YouTube video on piping perfectly pointless (erm, point-FREE) dots. icon_wink.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 17

Cakepro, I would watch that video. But in the meantime, I go back with a damp paintbrush and smooth the points down.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 17

I am a cornstarch and finger kind of gal myself.

(I took a clean, from the box kneehigh with the naked toe, filled it with about a cup of cornstarch, twisted it, and doubled it over (so you have two layers of stocking and knocked it. I have a couple in the bakery for fondant, gum paste and dipping my finger, and I keep one in my emergency kit incase I have to do a fondant repair work)

Cornstarch is the bakers friend.

Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

Cakepro, I would watch that video. But in the meantime, I go back with a damp paintbrush and smooth the points down.

Hey Bettycrockermommy! I noticed your countdown to meeting Aine2. What classes are you signed up to take? I'm in the Bride & Groom class. I am SO EXCITED!! Hope to meet ya! icon_biggrin.gif

~ Sherri

Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 17

Awesome cakepro.......so I guess I don't need the video because I will be there to learn in person!! I am also in the bride and groom class!! Can't wait to meet you

Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 17

Haha, I will bring a bag of buttercream just to show ya!

Can't wait to meet ya too!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 17

Cool!! I can't wait! Should we start another thread to see who all is going to be there?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 17

I am SO jealous!!!! I want to take that bride and groom class so badly!! You gotta let us know how it goes!

Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

Cool!! I can't wait! Should we start another thread to see who all is going to be there?

Yes, do!! I'm excited to see who all will be there with us!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #15 of 17

where is the class at?? Is it too late to sign up?? I love her work so much and would love to take that class!!!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #16 of 17

unfortunately the bride and groom class is full, but I saw today that there are openings in the first two classes

photocookiediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
photocookiediva Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:03am
post #17 of 17

Wow! This was my first post and you guys are so awesome!! In less than 5 hours, 15 posts!!

Thanks again. I will start out with the cornstarch approach and then go to the paintbrush and so on.

Thanks ladies, that really helps!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%