How Do I....

Decorating By Bradymom6 Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 3:42pm by TexasSugar

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 14

make a zebra striped cake with buttercream frosting? My son's girlfriend wants a zebra striped cake for her birthday, which is this Friday July 4th, and I am not sure how to do it without using fondant. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cathy

13 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 14

Do ya airbrush? icon_biggrin.gif I just took an airbrushing class from Bronwen Weber on Sunday and I think I will be airbrushing everything now!

Why not just cut your stripes out of black fondant and put them on the buttercream cake? Seems to me to be the easiest thing to do.

~ Sherri

Bradymom6 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 14

Sherri,
Unfortunately I do not airbrush but would love to learn. I like the idea of making the stripes out of fondant. I may try that.
Cathy

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 14

If you do a gallery search for zebra stripe, quite a few come up. Most have fondant stripes, although I did see at least one with BC stripes. I'll post the link below. Personally, I think the fondant stripes would be easiest, but I guess it depends if a request for BC means all BC. (The stripes can always be peeled off easy enough.) icon_wink.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1207125

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 14

Keep in mind, zebra are white with black stripes, not black with white stripes... icon_biggrin.gif
I'd make it all white, and then pipe the stripes with black buttercream. They might 'bleed' if you do the stripes too early, though.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 14

I would definately ice in white buttercream and stripe with fondant. Then they can peel the fondant off if they don't want it and you still have the yummy buttercream.

Good Luck! Also, let us know when (and if) you post your pic. I'd love to see it!

Bradymom6 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 14

Chovest,
That is a great link and exactly what I am looking for. My son's girlfriend wants the cake pink with zebra stripes so that will work perfectly.
Cathy

Bradymom6 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I may try the fondant. I have used black bc on white cakes and never had a problem with it bleeding plus I am doing it the night before she needs it so I think it will be okay. Thanks again.
Cathy

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 14

Please come back and post your pics!! icon_biggrin.gif

Bradymom6 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 14

Cakepro,
I definitely will. I have quite a few others that I need to post but I have been so busy with my Master's degree that I can't get on here as much as I would like.
Cathy

Bradymom6 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #11 of 14

Hi fellow CC'ers,
I baked the cake for my son's girlfriend. She decided on a heart-shaped cake. I will be decorating it tonight. I hope I can get the stripes to come out okay. I will post pics if I don't feel it is to much of a disaster. Thanks again for all the fantastic suggestions.
Cathy

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 14

Best wishes!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #13 of 14

I just hand piped my striped with black icing and then filled them in..It looked good!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:42pm
post #14 of 14

What about painting black strips on it? Could take longer, but would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%