Edible Bugs?

Decorating By TyeRiley Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 1:26am by LittleLinda

TyeRiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyeRiley Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 8

I am brand new at cake decorating. As in I don't even start my first wilton class until tomorrow evening. But it's my son's first birthday and we have nicknamed him Bug. So for his birthday I'm wanting to make him a cake the way my mom always made mine. I want to make a cake for him to smash up and eat on his own and maybe matching cupcakes for everyone else. The issue I'm having is I have made the fondant bumblebees, they look so cute but taste horrible(I used the wiltons fondant).
So what can I use to make them that tastes good?
Like I said I am new to this so I am still a bit confused when it comes to fondant, gumpaste, ect.
Any ideas on how to make some other bugs too?
Thankyou for your help.

7 replies
mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 8

My first thought is that maybe you could try and make marshmallow fondant, which tastes nothing like the Wilton fondant. There are recipes here for it.... it's very good and fairly easy to make.

You could also make candy clay, which is essentially candy melts (Wilton makes some) and corn syrup. The directions or recipe are also on here, I'll try to find them and put the links in as soon as I post this. It tastes really good and you can use it pretty much like clay!

Okay, link to candy clay
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1985-candy-clay-for-modeling-3d.html

The next poster posted a link to marshmallow fondant.

~Jen

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 8

to make them taste good....

don't use Wilton fondant.....

that's the problem.

if you can, use SatinIce or make your own:
Marshmallow Fondant (MMF)
which you can flavor all kinds of ways.

If can't get SatinIce and no time to make MMF, then you can try to add additional flavorings to the Wilton, but no guarantee that will help all that much.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 8

Try making a batch of marshmallow fondant. It's cheaper than the wilton stuff (2lbs powdered sugar, 1 lb marshmallows, 4 tablespoons water is all it takes). It tastes good, as long as you like marshmallows, and you can flavor it with an oil too...like the Lorann oils at Hobby Lobby...if you don't like plain marshmallow taste. Here's the recipe and directions that work the best for me: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

It takes color pretty well too, not liquid food colors but the wilton paste ones.

Ladybugs would be cute, and spiders too. If you look in my photos there are some fondant bugs that my daughter made...they were actually pretty easy, she and her friends sat around and made bugs for her cake contest entry. Mostly she made beetles which were an oval that sat on top of six legs (roll three little pieces of fondant into strings, press them together in the center). Then she made an indented line for the join between body and head, and added different color spots. The ladybugs were the same, but black and red only.

One thing...your son will grab handfuls of cake and stuff them in his mouth, so be careful with the fondant bugs. I think he could choke on a piece of fondant if he got it into his mouth.

TyeRiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyeRiley Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 8

Thankyou so much for your replies.
I have about two weeks before I need to make them so I think I will try both the candy clay and the MMF and see which I like better. Thankyou so much for your help.

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 8

A lot of people put flavoring in there fondant I have not tried this but its worth a try. As for the bugs look on utube I seen some videos on there.
I used cookie cutters to make dragonflys,butterflys and for ladybugs I
just rolled out small balls of red and black fondant and and shape them. Hope this helps

debo_04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debo_04 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 8

To be honest, I make all of my figures out of Wilton fondant just because it is easier to work with. I cover my cakes with Satin Ice to please the grown ups in the crowd. We as grown ups don't like the taste, but I have not had one kid say ucky, I don't want this it tastes bad. The kids are chomping off bug, flower, etc parts like it was just your average every day piece of candy.
Good luck!
Debbie

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:26am
post #8 of 8

Rolled buttercream is also tasty. It's a little floppy, though, if you are trying to make the bugs stand on their legs; but if their bodies will be on the cake, you could try that too. It's easier to color, in my opinion; but it's greasy and you would want to wear gloves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%