Make It Yourself Piping Gel

Decorating By Momkiksbutt Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 1:10am by Momkiksbutt

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:42am
post #1 of 15

Look what I found!!! What a great find!!!!

PIPING GEL RECIPE

2 envelopes (2 tablespoons) Knox unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cups light Karo syrup

1. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small saucepan and let set for about 5 minutes. Heat on low until the gelatin has become clear/dissolved - DO NOT BOIL.

2. Add the syrup and heat thoroughly.

3. Cool and store, refrigerated, for up to 2 months.

To Color: Add coloring paste/gel or food coloring drops to get desired color.

To Use: Put in icing bag, plastic squeeze bottle and decorate.

I'm using it tomorrow...I'll let you know how it turns out!! icon_smile.gif

14 replies
troyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
troyfan Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:08am
post #2 of 15

I tried it once, but it was too runny to use... Maybe I did something wrong!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:29am
post #3 of 15

I also tried that one and it was too runny for me.
This one has been posted on here and did work for me.

Hey everyone I found a piping gel recipe that actually works!!!! 1/3 cup sugar,1 tablespoon cornflour,1/4 cup lemon juice,1/4 cup water.
Combine sugar and corn flour in a small saucepan, gradually add juice then water. Stir over high heat until mixture boils then thickens. Colour as desired.
Last for a month or so in the fridge. JUST make sure there are no lumps in the completed mix. Hope this helps everyone.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:53am
post #4 of 15

If you cut the karo syrup down a bit in that recipe it will work great. about 1/4cup or so.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:20am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I also tried that one and it was too runny for me.
This one has been posted on here and did work for me.

Hey everyone I found a piping gel recipe that actually works!!!! 1/3 cup sugar,1 tablespoon cornflour,1/4 cup lemon juice,1/4 cup water.
Combine sugar and corn flour in a small saucepan, gradually add juice then water. Stir over high heat until mixture boils then thickens. Colour as desired.
Last for a month or so in the fridge. JUST make sure there are no lumps in the completed mix. Hope this helps everyone.

This recipe is delicious! It kind of tastes like lemon italian ice! icon_biggrin.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:47am
post #6 of 15

I also had no luck with that recipe twice!
I'd like to try BCJean's recipe.

Is cornflour the same as cornstartch?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:49am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

I also had no luck with that recipe twice!
I'd like to try BCJean's recipe.

Is cornflour the same as cornstartch?

I used cornstarch...

Momkiksbutt Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 15

Hmm ok. I think the cornstarch one won't keep as long though. Once cornstarch is wet it will need to be refridgerated or it will go bad.

Did you use too much water on the first one maybe? I haven't made it yet so I'm just wondering.

With 2 packets of knox it seems it wouldn't be runny at all. I believe you all, but I'll test it out and see if I can figure out the problem.

Thanks for the other recipe too....

Oh and why the lemon juice? Do you have to add it? I just ran out and can't get to the store.......

Momkiksbutt Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 15

OK...I made the recipe that I originally posted. The problem is that there is 1 cup too many of corn syrup. And yo have to let it completely cool first. Also it helps to refridgerate it too.

Think "Jello"...only not fully set up and you can add your own color.

Turned out pretty well I think.

I'll have to try the other recipe another time.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 15

ok, am lost here icon_sad.gif ....*dummy*....to pipe lines and designs...instead of using b/c icing....your using gel you make? how does it taste???

so if u add color...it looks like reg. piping on a cake like you all make or we buy?

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #11 of 15

Piping gel gives the effect of water or stained glass. It's clear. This pool is filled in with piping gel.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=391003

Momkiksbutt Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:27am
post #12 of 15

I'm using it to add shine to my tropical flowers for the cake I am doing next week for my twins 16th birthday luau...

I'll post them here so you can see the progression....hopefully they won't get "deleted" here.... icon_razz.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:42am
post #13 of 15

[quote="BCJean"]Hey everyone I found a piping gel recipe that actually works!!!! quote] judge.gificon_cool.gif

That recipe is posted in the CC recipes section as: Piping Gel That Works. icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6998-1-Piping-Gel-That-Works.html

The other piping gel recipe is also in the CC recipes section as Piping Gel. icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2051-0-Piping-Gel.html

The CC recipes sections seems to be a lot like Prego, It's In There icon_lol.gif

When Heath & Jackie have re-formatted the recipes section, helpful tweaks or other comments will be possible. thumbs_up.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:40am
post #14 of 15

I had problems with that recipe too! Seemed fine when I made it, looked great on the cake, until the next morning when I opened the fridge door! icon_sad.gif It broke down over night and ran off the cake.

Momkiksbutt Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:10am
post #15 of 15

Ok everyone I have come up with the solution to the recipe that really works!!! I can prove it!! All you have to do with the original recipe is omit the second cup of karo syrup....and now here's the proof that it really works!! Notice that it is on the cake as the "water", and it's perrrrfffeeeccctt!!!

I'm adding a sort of progression of pics so everyone can see how the cake came together. The party was a big success and that is including my "end of the part" dissaster when I took a tumble down the deck stairs, tearing up my toes, bruising my heel, and wrenching my back so bad that I am on muscle relaxers and painkillers.... icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gifthumbsdown.gif Oh well!! Everyone loved the cake, were amazed that the only things not edible on the entire cake were the hula dolls and the little sign! They all wanted a flower to take for a rememberance....even the boys!! LOL

Hope you like my work!! I had a great time making this special cake for my kids and wouldn'd mind doing it again for someone!!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%