Hi Everyone...

Decorating By sarand Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm by JanH

sarand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarand Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I am new to this website and very new to cake decorating... I hope I am in the right forum. I have just enrolled in September for cake decorating lessons at my local college. But wanted to have a go so I know what to expect.

I am ok with cake toppers as I am used to crafting with clay, however Icing it totally new to me... I can cover a cake in icing and it comes out quite smooth, however I am really struggling with fancy piping as when I squeeze it out it just goes in to one blob and loses all its pattern...

Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong?

Thanks for reading
Sarah icon_sad.gif

5 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 6

It sounds like your frosting is too soft. Try adding a little less liquid and be sure that your are not working in a hot environment.

Pressure is another key issue when piping. A little trick that helps with control for borders is to squeeze the bag as if you are squashing the head of someone that made you angry (ex-hubby, boyfriend, IRS, whatever), and then let go of the anger as you pull away. So....it's get mad, let it go an pull away, get mad, let it go, and then pull away. It sounds crazy, but it works.

Good luck with your classes.

Michele

sarand Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 6

thanks Michele, I will give it a try I am sure there is someone I can get angry with lol

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 6

Michele - that is hilarious!! ha ha ha I'll have to think of that next time I'm piping.

sarand - want me to lend you my DH to get angry at? It can be pretty easy. (just kidding....well, sort of....) icon_smile.gif

sarand Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 6

My problem now is I will be icing forever as my list of people to get angry at is growing lol icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 6

Hi and Welcome to CC, sarand. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Look forward to seeing your cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%