I'm Not Feeling Very Good About This Cake.

Decorating By mariak Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm by thjoghild

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 24

I was so excited to do this cake for a customers bridal shower. She had ordered a cake from me before so when she called me again I was happy thinking that she must have liked the first cake. I showed her a couple of pictures from this site of different shower cakes and she liked the oned with the bridal gowns on them which I have been wanting to try so I thought everything was good. She just wanted me to put a real ribbon on the bottom cake but I told her in my very confident voice that I would make the bow out of fondant and that would look better. Bows are definitely not my strong point but I thought that by now I had enough practice.
The brides colors were pink and champagne so I searched to find out how to make champagne buttercream and after a lot of mixing had the perfect color. Unfortunately as always the buttercream darkened not into a darker champagne but more of a buttery yellow. If you look at the little bit of border in the very front you can see what the color the icing should have been. I added that after I put on the bow right before I took the picture so it hadn't darkened yet. I was not able to make the bow early enough because of a two day migraine so when I finally got it done it again was not what I had in mind. The bow was also very heavy to put on the side of the cake and I worried about that too. The gown part of the cake turned out great but I felt like the bottom ruined the whole cake. I did not even want to deliver it. The lady didn't say anything about the cake and just put it in her car which made me feel even worse. I keep telling myself that is how she was last time and I found out later she liked it but I just have a bad feeling about this one. Sometimes I don't know if cakes are worth all of the stress. Has anyone else ever had that cake that you just really didn't want to deliver?
LL

23 replies
sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 24

The cake is beautiful. Everyone will be impressed. We just doubt ourselves like most artist. Don't worry, it looks great. thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 24

Ohh honey I am the upmost WORST about looking and picking apart my cakes. I mean.. I haven't made one YET that I like.. I find things that look wrong with each and everyone of them.

But let me tell you. Yours my dear is beautiful!!! I have yet to do one of these types of cakes and I am in awe of yours!!! The bow looks great and the colors.. well I LOVE pink and ANY type of yellow based icing... it just looks sooo feminine!!! Yours is beautiful.. This time you are wrong icon_wink.gif LOL .. beautiful work!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 24

Your cake is really beautiful! You have done a really great job. Well Done! thumbs_up.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 24

it's beautiful!!! your dress is PERFECT, i love the dainty little single rose at the waist. the bow looks great too me. and i love the color combo. the only thing to me that looks off, is the two little balls in the front that are almost whitish, instead of yellow, like the rest of the cake - but you explained why that was and i might not have noticed it had you not mentioned it.

this is a gorgeous cake. be proud of your work.

TexasTam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasTam Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 24

I think you did a fabulous job!! Don't be so hard on yourself. I love the dress too it looks so delicate and feminine. thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 24

It has a bit of Cinderelly to it, magical looking. Like little birdies are gonna jump out and say "Surprise!" and show all the sewing accoutrements they were hiding behind thier backs.

It's beautiful work.

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 24

Your cake is wonderful! I love the dress part.. very chic and pretty. The rest of the cake is great too. I'm sure she loved the cake, I would have loved the cake if someone bought it for my shower.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 24

I think this is really nice. You are your own worst critic! Everyone else will love it.

floophs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 24

I think it's absolutely beautiful! Be proud of it. thumbs_up.gif

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 24

omg!! that cake is gorgeous! I love the slight ruffle at the bottom of the dress....don't doubt yourself at all - it's truly beautiful! thumbs_up.gif

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm
post #12 of 24

If that lady walked away and said nothing, then she is just plain rude! That cake is gorgeous!

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:29pm
post #13 of 24

Oh my, before I even read your post I saw the cake and said out loud "I love that cake!" Its beautiful. I know it is hard not to be self critical, but it really is beautiful! Also, from personal experience, resist the temptation to act unsure of your work to the customer,

Danielle

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 24

I think your cake is very pretty! Even if the yellow didn't turn out the shade you wanted I still think it looks great!

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #15 of 24

Thanks everyone for your nice compliments. I think it was the coloring that did me in. I was so happy when I thought I had achieved a perfect champagne color ( I used ivory and a little bit of avacado green) so when it turned into this yellow it just ruined it for me. The fact that she didn't say anything, even thought I know she is like that, made me feel even worse. I unfortunately have severe perfection issues and none of my cakes are perfect enough. I just wish I was a fly on the wall at the shower so I knew if they liked it or not.( Maybe I don't.) Oh well. You guys amde me feel a little better about it. Thanks everyone again.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm
post #16 of 24

We're our own worst critics, seriously. I like your cake! And I'm serious about that too! It's very classy looking!

I've only made a handful of cakes that I've been happy with. Just ask my husband! lol

webbiedeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webbiedeb Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:27pm
post #17 of 24

The cake is great. I too worry about my cakes. I very seldom love any cake I have completed until the person who orders it ooooo and ahhhhs over it. Relax, I'm sure she will love it

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:45pm
post #18 of 24

beautiful. i love it.

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 24

Your cake is amazing! You did a wonderful job. Any bride would be extatic to recieve a cake like this.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #20 of 24

I think it's beautiful as well. If you really want to get the client's opinion on it, you could give her a call. I've done it many many time. Simply say "hey, I just like to make call backs from time to time and see how the cake went over." Don't even imply you were unhappy with it. I'm sure she was satisfied, it really is great, and your bow is good as well!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:30pm
post #21 of 24

The cake is gorgeous! I had an issue with champagne color. The issue was mine though...the bride said it was perfect...even though it perfectly match the swatch after it rested.

I'm thinking I didn't completely blend my batch...because the sample darkened perfectly.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #22 of 24

It is beautiful. You did a great job.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #23 of 24

oooooooo...that shoulda been that it DIDN'T perfectly match the swatch after it rested.

thjoghild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thjoghild Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm
post #24 of 24

Oh my goodness, that cake is beautiful! It's far better than anything I could have even hoped to make myself! The bow looks perfect, and the dress looks wonderful. I just want to know how you get ANY baking done with so many young kids!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%