Homemade Mmf Or Store-Baught Fondant

Decorating By paojava Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 6:33pm by CocoaBlondie

paojava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paojava Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:41am
post #1 of 16

Do you all usually make your own marshmallow fondant? Do you use it just to cover cakes and then use the wilton fondant for decoration? My wilton instructor advises not to use MMF for decorations. I am preparing to make my first batch this week. If I did want to use it for decorations as well, should I add some gum tex? Should I make a 50/50 mix with gumpaste? I am planning on making simple flowers (daisies) on wire for a topper, and gum-gluing daisies to the sides. Or maybe stripes of bright colored fondant. My inspiration is the daisy's go crazy cake on the wilton website.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/spring/daisysgocrazy.cfm

Sorry for all the questions! And thanks in advance!!!

15 replies
sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:50am
post #2 of 16

My MMF is too soft for decorations, but that might just be the way that I make it. You'll have to experment, and see what works for you. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 16

I use mmf for everything, sometimes I add gumtex to it if I want it to dry pretty fast.(for things that I want to stick up out of cake, like your flowers) But I have done it without. It just takes a few days to dry. Once the flowers sit for a day I will turn them over to make sure the back side drys really good. I also live in a very dry area.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by paojava

Do you all usually make your own marshmallow fondant? Do you use it just to cover cakes and then use the wilton fondant for decoration? My wilton instructor advises not to use MMF for decorations. I am preparing to make my first batch this week. If I did want to use it for decorations as well, should I add some gum tex? Should I make a 50/50 mix with gumpaste? I am planning on making simple flowers (daisies) on wire for a topper, and gum-gluing daisies to the sides. Or maybe stripes of bright colored fondant. My inspiration is the daisy's go crazy cake on the wilton website.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/spring/daisysgocrazy.cfm

Sorry for all the questions! And thanks in advance!!!

I have made MMF before but because I am so busy and usually use lots of colors, I use SatinIce fondant. Just because it's easiest for me and it tastes WAY better than the Yucky Wilton stuff and the colors are AMAZING! If you make MMF, you can totally add GumTex or Tylose to it to stiffen it up. 50/50 also works great if you need things to harden up but are not QUICK enough to use gumpaste alone just yet! It dries fast but not nearly as fast as gumpaste alone and I like the SMOOTHNESS of it as well! Good luck and I can't wait to see your finished cake!!

HTH

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 16

I use MMF almost exclusively. All you need to do is allow it time to dry. I've never had any problem with the decorations that I've done.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 16

She might be saying that cause the MMf tends to be softer than Fondant and someone that is starting might have a more difficult time with it..

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 16

I use MMF for everything too. for the decorations sometimes I add gumpaste to dry faster.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 16

I use MMF for everything. It dries pretty quickly...I can make loops for a bow and hang them to dry, and they'll be dry in 24 hours. Flowers dry even faster. If it's very humid in your house that could affect it...when we moved I had to buy a dehumidifier because my MMF wasn't working well with the humidity in the house.

I do add some gum-tex to the MMF if I'm making something that requires some patience, like roses...because I don't have the patience to wait days for the rose bases to dry before I put the petals on. But I don't like the smell of gum-tex and I wouldn't add it to something that was going to get eaten.

Not all MMF is the same. I've seen lots of different recipes for it. If you add a lot of glycerin to the MMF, it will probably never harden. The only time I add glycerine is if I'm making chocolate MMF because the cocoa powder seems to dry it out a bit.

asmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmith Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 16

I've used MMF before and have used it for everything. I do prefer Satin Ice just for the fact that I don't like the mess in the kitchen that I would get from making MMF. I guess I'm just lazy!

paojava Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you all SOOOO very much! I feel pretty confident with fondant, and I have heard that the MMF tastes so much better...and since this is a birthday cake for my 3 year old niece, I wanted it to be extra-special.

Ok--I will make my own this time and do the flowers early, so if I have to, I can redo them with the wilton stuff.

I am still a novice decorator, only making things for family and friends...if I really get serious I will look into the satin ice!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 16

I use Satin Ice, it's consistantly good texture, taste good, easy to use, and if I need it to last longer I would make a batch on MMF and mix the two, but don't want the hassle with MMF.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 16

I use mmf for 99% of my work with fondant. But one thing I learned, is that when I need it to dry like for bows or figures, I don't add water to the recipe and I make it 2-3 days in advance. Then it will be nice and hard to work with.

One of the reasons I like the mmf fondant and so do my customers is that it does not have nearly as much grease in it. And then again the flavor is soooo much nicer.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #13 of 16

I use Satin Ice because of the convience and ease of use. I have made the MMF and do not like the mess or the time involved. But the taste is great.

paojava Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:48pm
post #14 of 16

well...I made it. Somehow I managed to give myself a blister too--from melting the marshmallows over the double boiler.

I decided to not add the water, since I was planning on making the flowers with it.

I had to microwave the dough several times when I was trying to color it. I found that it was very stiff--much stiffer than wilton fondant. Probably because I didn't add the water. The flowers did turn out very well!

here is what I made:
Erin's Birthday Cake

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm
post #15 of 16

Oh WOW!!! Fantastic job. You did a great job. Does not look like you struggled at all. Congrtulations.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:33pm
post #16 of 16

Wow.. icon_surprised.gif You did a wonderful job with MMF. Why can't mine turn out like that icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%