Is It Possible?

Decorating By steffla Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 2:55am by Annalie

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:58am
post #1 of 11

Is it possible to use the recipe on this site for rock candy and pour it into some type of molds?

For example, can you pour it into molds to make windows or gems out of it? TIA

10 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:52am
post #2 of 11

Nope- won't work. Rock candy needs a string to hang on to.

Windows are melted lifesavers which make great stained glass. Gems, I had no luck with except pre-purchased. Or "double strength" jello jigglers.

HTH
Rita

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:26am
post #3 of 11

crushed boiled sweets can be used to create stained glass. laid out on a tray and melted in the oven. or you can just make a light caramel and color it

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 11

Wow thats kind of a bummer but thanks for the ideas. Rita, I was wondering how exactly you turn jello into double strength jigglers?

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:44am
post #5 of 11

Make "standard" Jello jigglers, but cut the liquid in half, or at least 1/3 less. (walla- double strength). Also, after you cut the shape you want, you can roll them in crystal sugar, but I think they look more like gems plain.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #6 of 11

Steffla try melting hard candy,like life savers in the mold.

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #7 of 11

I have a stained glass cross in my pics. PM me if you would like the instructions for that. Same principle should work for windows.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:15am
post #8 of 11

You can purchase gem molds at Hobby Lobby. That's where I got mine. Melted Life Savers should work fine. I usually just make hot MOLTEN sugar that will take off your epidermis if you touch it! LOL That's the reason I don't have fingerprints now! Too much pulled sugar! LOL

Have fun!

Beth in KY

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #9 of 11

Oh these are great ideas! Can I add a question? Is it possible to create something that resembles rhinestones (small, like dragees), that is edible?

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:40am
post #10 of 11

I couldn't get the high temp gem molds so I tried melting gummy bears and putting them into my gem molds. Ruined the gem molds. The gummy bears make something better than glue. I couldn't get them out. Made a horrible mess. Next time I'll order the high temp gem mold online so I can melt the Jolly Ranchers or Life Savers.

Annalie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalie Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:55am
post #11 of 11

you can search Google for a "hard candy recipe". It works realy well when poured into high temp moulds or sillicone moulds. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%