More Fondant Animal Help

Decorating By tchrmom Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm by tchrmom

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 4

I made MMF to make animals for my son's birthday cake. I can form animals (not that I am a brilliant sculptor) but it's all crackly. I am not too impressed with this. I made and colored it on Friday. It's been wrapped in plastic since. I zapped it for a few seconds in the microwave, and it seemed squishy enough, but I can't smooth it. Water and conf. sugar (rubbing on outside) helps a little, but not much. Any suggestions? Do I just need to try a new batch?

I have used fondant before but only for topping cookies, and I haven't had this problem. I have even successfully re-kneaded the scraps and rolled them out repeatedly for cookies without it being a big problem.

I also noticed that when I put the green back in the mixer to try to tone down it's brightness with a little dark green, it got all crumbly. I added a little water and then a few more melted marshmallows. It helped a little, but not much. I dread to think what will happen when I try to roll it out and cut little leaves for my trees.

I will admit that crackly works pretty well for tree trunks.

Thanks.

3 replies
tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #2 of 4

It sounds dry.... a touch of water if that doesn't work crisco kneaded into it should. Good luck!

tchrmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks-- I'll definitely try it. Any other possibilities?

tchrmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much Tree45. The Crisco worked GREAT. I might have overdone it on the gold for making giraffes and lions though-- my giraffe is shiny (a little) and I hope that it will dry so I can use gum-tex, meringue powder, and/or water to put some spots on him. The leaves worked fine. I am still working on how/when to attach them to the tree. My turtle is ok too. (Any problems with him are with the sculptor, not the MMF.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%