So Not Motivated....

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 6:33pm by pjmw

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 13

I want to make this new cake, but I honestly am not motivated to get up off my butt and start baking. Just the thought of the mess and cleaning keeps me from going in the kitchen and making this cake. It sounds really really good in my head and I so want to try it out, but just can't bring myself to do it.

I'm wanting to make a chocolate cake with toffee flavoring and make a dulce de leche filling with crushed chocolate butter tofee bits mixed in it and iced with toffee BC.

Doesn't that sound good? Why can't I find my motivation....anyone here want to inspire me to get in the kitchen? If you lose your motivation, how do you get it back? I have no problem getting motivated when I have a cake order to make, but when it comes to baking for fun to try out new ideas I have, I just procrastinate. UUGH!!!

12 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 13

Sometimes for me, a new recipe is my motivation. I do understand about not wanting to get to something. With all that we have to do, trying a new recipe and then cleaning up the mess just doesn't sound fun.

The best motivation for me and new recipes is giving the experiment away. I take my experiments to work (if they turned out well, of course), and see what happens. This usually works pretty well. If you are a stay-at-home baker, then give your experiment to a bank or other local business. This will make for great advertising. You will get to try the recipe, get some kudos, more business, and possibly higher prices due the fact that you do such specialized cakes. icon_cool.gif

Thanks for posting. I needed some motivation myself to get some things done.

Michele

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:29am
post #3 of 13

Hun I SOOO understand... I finally had to make myself get up and bake... Now I have said ALL day I need to get up off my tucus and make my SMBC icon_sad.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:34am
post #4 of 13

10:30 and the only thing I got motivated to do was clean my cupboards to make more space for all my cake stuff icon_lol.gif

My neighbor and I decided we are going to back together on Thursday since I have thursday and friday off for the Holiday weekend. By then I should be fully pumped!

Michelle - glad my post motivated you....I wish it did the same for me.

Thanks Christi (ironically my neighbors name is Kristi, too). I've been wanting to try some SMBC, but I can't use eggs b/c my DD is allergic. I feel bad for her b/c the cakes that I test before going to co-workers is for us and the neighbors....hard to eat cake infront of a 4 year old that she can't eat.....icon_lol.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:42am
post #5 of 13

The worst part for me is the cleaning. It is so hard to do it. Especially after leveling cakes and there are crumbs everywhere.
What I end up telling myself is that it has to get done sometime. The mess isn't going anywhere, and there is noone else around who will do it for me. So, I can either fret about it, or I can suck it up and do right now and have it out of the way.
Sorry, I'm not much comfort! It is just so hard sometimes to be motivated about the parts you DONT like.
Trust me, my kitchen is still a mess from the past week. LOL

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:55am
post #6 of 13

I was so unmotivated yesterday! I had a simple cake order but not a lot motivating me to be excited about it. I felt like I was decorating in slow motion! Maybe it was my son's baseball game in the middle of the day that broke my decorating day...or the sun...or...or.....!

Paula

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:56am
post #7 of 13

I hate the prepping so much that I am tempted to pay my cousin to come in every other week and top off my MMF, BC, gumpaste and prep a few mixes with the extender ingredients. She would also ensure that I have the essentials (eggs, yogurt, oil, cake boards/boxes, etc.) and if not, grab them from the store for me. I think the toughest part of a project is gaining the momentum to get going...especially after a long day/week at work. I still love decorating, but hate the prep and the clean up. I've gotten a little better with the clean up by making myself stop and clean along the way. I am hoping that enlisting in my cousin's help will get me over the prep part. My only hesitation is, of course, having to pay her. I'm honestly feeling it will be worth it.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #8 of 13

Oh Vicki dear ! You have to practice so you can get better to open that shop you want!And Yes sometimes baking with a friend /neighbor makes it more fun ! I love to do that at Christmas with candy making ! You get to talking and the mess doesent seem bad at all !And now that you posted that yummmy sounding cake you want to try , you better get on it before everyone else makes it ! OHHH !! I bet that would make a good cupcake !

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:53am
post #9 of 13

Wait a minute guys... You are what motivates me (a newbie). I wish I had your experience/talent. I try and try EVERYDAY to make something that looks half way decent (tomorrow is my last Wilton class course 1). C'mon bakers/decorators, do it for the newbies icon_biggrin.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:38am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

The worst part for me is the cleaning. It is so hard to do it. Especially after leveling cakes and there are crumbs everywhere.
What I end up telling myself is that it has to get done sometime. The mess isn't going anywhere, and there is noone else around who will do it for me. So, I can either fret about it, or I can suck it up and do right now and have it out of the way.
Sorry, I'm not much comfort! It is just so hard sometimes to be motivated about the parts you DONT like.
Trust me, my kitchen is still a mess from the past week. LOL

I read somewhere, on this site, of course, to line your work space with something...?....so that when you finish, you can just pick up your liner with the crumbs, icing bits, powdered sugar mess and whatever else, and toss it.

Would that work for you?

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:10pm
post #11 of 13

Oh - like that clean-up tip - thanks.

Just a suggestion - what motivates me is to put on some really great Latin music, stick a toothpick in my mouth (this is to keep everything else out (e.g. buttercream, cake crumbs, etc...)), and start playing!

I just can't sit still when a great mambo or cha cha is blaring in the background. It also motivates DH to hang out with me and he is a great 'cleaner-upper.'

Hope you find your own motivation technique soon so we can keep seeing those great cakes you create! thumbs_up.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:03pm
post #12 of 13

I know exactly what you mean. I have a very small kitchen with little counter space and no dishwasher, not to mention a toddler! When I think about the work and mess that goes into making a cake or trying something new, I often forego it, just because I'm afraid it won't end up being with all the work!

Snowshoe, you're lucky your DH will come hang out with you! For some reason mine HATES hanging out in the kitchen. Maybe I should try some latin music... Company would make it better to work, I think.

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:33pm
post #13 of 13

ipod blaring I can bake anything...momma's baking, my family leaves me alone...they're afraid they'll damage the finished product. They do occasionally come in for crumbs!!! Happy Baking Everybody!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%