How Do You Sift Eaiser?? Reverse Sifting!

Decorating By JenniferMI Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 5:31am by YAYI95

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:59am
post #1 of 20

Hi sugar friends!

I just touched on this in another forum and thought, you know, I should post this...... so here it is!

I use the handheld mesh (strainer type) sifter. But, I do what I call reverse sifting. Instead of putting the sugar INTO the bowl of the strainer, I have a large container of sugar, I run the sifter bottom side on the sugar, and run it along the sugar. It fills super fast, I hate sitting there trying to get the sugar to go OUT the bottom I have it go IN the bottom. Works GREAT!

Hope that makes life easier icon_smile.gif

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

19 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #2 of 20

It took me a minute to visualize dunce.gif , but now that I get it I'll try it next time! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #3 of 20

What a GREAT idea!!!! I am definitely going to try that next time. Thanks for the tip!

JenniferMI Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:19am
post #4 of 20

It REALLY works slick! I buy 50 lb. bags of powdered sugar and keep the sugar in a large, plastic (actually it's meant for pet food) it's tall and has a snap down lid. But if you get plastic, make sure you get the oder of plastic out of the container before putting the sugar in it. Anyway, I just hate sitting there bouncing the strainer up and down trying to get whatever I am sifting thru it....

Trust me on this one...you'll LOVE it! I'll never sift p. sugar any other way again.

Happy sifting!!!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:24am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

It took me a minute to visualize dunce.gif , but now that I get it I'll try it next time! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

LOL! I think I get it. Oh man, I was sifting so much last night...but I will have to try it next time...

JenniferMI Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:27am
post #6 of 20

If you aren't sure mom2, let me know, I'll try to explain it again.

Jen icon_smile.gif

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:55am
post #7 of 20

Things sound sooo easy and make so much since that I alwaysend up going: WOW and I couldn't think of that? LOL thanks, Jen

JenniferMI Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #8 of 20

LOL Doitall....

I know, just simple things can make our lives easier icon_smile.gif I can't even remember how I figured this out. I think I was having a lumpy batch of sugar and though OMG, I will have to SIFT ALL of that???! I then rubbed the sifter ON the sugar....I was THRILLED!!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #9 of 20

OMG ! I thought I knew everything. I read your post and thought......naw. I was originally from Missouri and you have to "show me" .....so I went to the kitchen...got my powdered sugar down....picked up my little sifter.....and tried it. Low and behold...it works like a charm! This ranks right up there with cleaning your tips in the microwave. Never will I dread sifting again. It is just a matter of dipping it out.

JenniferMI Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #10 of 20

BCJean - That is GREAT!!!! Glad you like the tip!!!!

We need all the help we can get to make our jobs easier icon_smile.gif

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 20

Thanks for the tip!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 20

OK--I'm feeling stupid here. I can't visualize how you're doing it. You put the strainer upside down under a bag of sugar and rub it a bit? Why doesn't all the sugar fall out all over the place. Can you attach a picture? Thanks!

JenniferMI Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:35pm
post #13 of 20

Let me see what I can do about a pic.

You probably couldn't do this easily with one bag of sugar, a larger quanity works better. But, maybe you could....

Jen

lsawyer Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:23pm
post #14 of 20

OK--I think I got it now (after reading it again!). Duh! I'll give it a try!

JenniferMI Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:31pm
post #15 of 20

Okie Doakie!!!!

Have a good one!

Jen icon_smile.gif

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:52am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

OMG ! I thought I knew everything. I read your post and thought......naw. I was originally from Missouri and you have to "show me" .....so I went to the kitchen...got my powdered sugar down....picked up my little sifter.....and tried it. Low and behold...it works like a charm! This ranks right up there with cleaning your tips in the microwave. Never will I dread sifting again. It is just a matter of dipping it out.

OK. The reverse sifting sounds awesome!!!! I absolutely HATE sifting sugar. Somewhere along the way though I missed the microwave thing for cleaning the tips?!?!? Please, someone share!! icon_biggrin.gif

lsawyer Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #17 of 20

Somewhere along the way though I missed the microwave thing for cleaning the tips?!?!? Please, someone share!! icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]\\

armywifebryan:

To clean your tips in the microwave:

I use a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Fill it halfway with water and add a few drops of dish soap. Add your metal tips and cook on high for 3 minutes. It might boil over, which is OK because it will help clean your microwave. It will steam up/clean the oven walls, too. When it's done, remove the cup and let it sit out for 20 mins or so to cool down. Rinse the tips in hot water.
As long as the tips are covered in a few inches of water, there won't be a problem. You can use any type of glass bowl, too.

JenniferMI Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:34am
post #18 of 20

COOL TIP!! No pun intended icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

Thanks for sharing that one!!!! I need that right now, my DH exploded his dinner in there - OMG!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:53am
post #19 of 20

When I clean my tips in the microwave, after I have boiled them I immediately pour the whole thing in a colander then spray them with hot water while they are still in the colander. As soon as they are cool enough to touch I stand them up on a paper towel to air dry. The whole thing takes maybe 5 minutes and it is so easy and there is no buttercream to be found.

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:31am
post #20 of 20

never heard of the tip in the microwave but you better believe i will be giving it a try, and the sifting, i cant wait to try that either i had to sift tonight, i sure wish i would've read this first...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%