Is Gum Paste Pretty Heat Resistant?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm by Sugarflowers

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:34am
post #1 of 6

I'm making figurines mostly of gumpaste alone, but a few colors have a little MMF mixed in. They'll have a week and a half to dry. Will they be able to withstand a hot car on a drive to Yosemite?
I assume it would be okay, right?

5 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:54am
post #2 of 6

Once fully dry they should be ok with the heat, it's just the humidity you've gotta watch! Have the air con on cool in the car and I reckon they should be fine icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:39am
post #3 of 6

I know for a fact they are not heat resistant...I made a cake for a competition and the flowers came melted..not fun!
Edna

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:48am
post #4 of 6

they will hold up. I made a bride and groom as well as some lilies and drove about 200 miles in the middle of summer (and SA summers are hot!!!) nothing happened. The only thing I would suggest is put in in the car, not the boot so that its not in a hot un-aired place.

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:28am
post #5 of 6

heat should be ok, moisture not so much.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 6

Humidity and UV rays are the biggest killers of gumpaste. If the pieces are completely dry, then they should be fine. This is assuming that you are transporting them in a air conditioned vehicle. While driving, they should be fine, but if left in the car for extended periods could really cause some problems.

Good luck.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%