Please Help Me Make Up My Mind!!

Decorating By Peeg Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm by elainec

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #31 of 67

I am also a member of Yummy Arts. I was looking for information to improve my cookie making skills and I came across Cookie Decorating Made Easy and after watching the video clips I decided to purchase them. I have never had any regrets about that decision, I have learned many things from that video set. I purchased them before YummyArts was launched, and had gotten emails of the new site being launched. I joined the first day the site was launched.

I have to say, I was hesitant in spending the money because there are a lot of free instructions here and on the web, but for me the videos are so much better than photo instructions and if you don't understand something you can email them and they will answer your questions. You can actually watch the instructor while they are making a flower, decorating a cookie or cake. I have gotten a lot of compliments on my cookies and I learned the fondant and cookie bouquet techniques because of YummyArts.

As far as the membership fee, I look at it as an investment in learning new skills. I'm sure you go out and purchase cake decorating books, other cake tools and they can be a bit expensive as well. I feel it is the same thing. To me, YummyArts is another learning tool that I can use to hone my skills.

As previously mentioned by another poster, once a month members receive a Freaky Friday discount where you get additional $10 off a video which already includes a $5.00 member discount. So now you take your $20 membership fee and subtract $15 in discounts and now you are paying $5 per month. You spend that much getting a hamburger for lunch. They also do drawings every wednesday and at least 3 people win free video books. I have won twice, so far.

One of the decorators that does videos is Susan Carberry. She is very talented and she just opened her own retail shop in California. One of the things that I like about her instruction is she gives you helpful hints on tools you can use if you don't have a particular cake tool. This is her website if you would like to see who she is and some of her cakes: http://www.thecakecottage.net/index.php

I have been a member of CC for almost 2 years now and it is wonderful for resources as well. The gallery is large and I use it frequently for inspiration. YA is a young site but is growing by leaps and bounds, they too have an very nice gallery and are adding new features all the time.

One feature that I really like is the Library feature. You can be anywhere and if you have internet access you can watch any book in your library. It takes a little while to learn all of the features and can be a little overwhelming to a new member, but all they have to do is go to the forum and ask for help and they will get a lot of friendly helpers otherwise known as YummyPals. They also have an area called YummyArts 101 which is a series of videos that teach you how to use the site.

Ultimately the decision is yours to make and I am giving you my opinion based on my experience. The only other advise that I can give is for you to try it out, and see if you find it as valuable as all the other members do.

[Sorry this is so long.]

gonamaket42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gonamaket42 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:39pm
post #32 of 67

I am a memeber of YummyArts and have been since it began. I love the site. I have learn so much from all the members on this site. Yes we do pay for some of the "how to books" but we also get a lot of stuff free. Now having said that, I will tell you that I have been a member of many sites and have not found anywhere you get what we get at yummyarts for free. We support each other and there is not a question asked that does not get a great answer. We all help each other out. The staff is incredible and work everyday to find ways to make sure their members are taken care of just for being member of the site. I have recieved more free books than I have purchased. One thing is for sure you never hear anyone on the site make bad comments about other sites but encorages other to check out the other sites to see what a great job others are doing. I would suggest not talking about the site until you try it out for yourself and see how the members work together and cheer each other on when we have a project that we need a little help with.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:40pm
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

I smell some advertising here, Cobber. Interesting that your very first post is a veritable homage to this company.

Now, I am wondering why everybody who loves this site are newbies? LOL Kinda strange icon_wink.gif

Although the site might be terrific, I would never pay $20 a month for a site unless it did contain free videos and info. Having to pay a fee every month and then more fees.....nope not for me.

gonamaket42 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:59pm
post #34 of 67

No I am not advertising. The post asked for help making up my mind. I am a new member here and have up until now enjoyed just reading the posts and learning more about this site. Last year my daughter decided to get married and wanted me to make her cake. I had never done a wedding cake before and scoured the website for help. I purchased the books from YA and it helped me. I had never heard of this site until someone there made a comment on what a nice job the people on this site did with their cakes. All I have ever heard was great things from the members on YA about CC. I am so sorry you guys have felt offended in anyway. Again, I feel CC has so many great decorators keep up the good work!

momade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momade Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:02pm
post #35 of 67

I've been a member of CC for a while now and I do love it. But, I'd like to add that I've also been a member of YA from day one. Yes, there may be a charge to become a member, but for me personally - it's been worth every penny. I live in an area where good or even challenging classes are just not available and if they are they're not financially affordable for me. Before YA that use to be very frustrating for me. As a cake decorator it continues to be my goal to keep learning, improving my techniques and being able to challenge myself to get to that next level of cake decorating all at an affordable cost. YA has helped me to do that 10 fold. Again, this is just my personal opinion, but in the 8 months I've been a member - I've learned more from them & their videos then I would have from any 2 hour (way overly priced) class or have learned from any of the serveral videos I've purchased from the net over the years. In this short time they've helped me turn out the most impressive cakes that I could have only dreamed of being able to make a year ago. Everyone of the these instructors are EXTREMELY talented and go through each of their cakes/cookies/techniques step by step so even the newest cake decorator can follow them with eaze. But, don't be mistaken in thinking these videos are just for beginners because they are definately not. Yes, there is a charge for these videos, but nothing when I've compared them to trying to take a class for this level of decorating skills. Every single video you choose to purchase, as well as all the ones that are given to us members for "FREE" are unique. These are cake videos you will NEVER find on the net and certainly not for the cost you'll get them for as a member. Like I've said, I've purchased videos over the net that have ranged in price from $25 up to $65 and not one of them has impressed me more then the ones I've purcased from YA and at no where near that cost. As if all this wasn't enough to more then cover my cost of membership - I also have access to the most amazing staff & YA memebers who constantly go out of there way to help answer any and all of my questions or even if it's just to encourage. I can truly look forward to a sucessful cake decorating bussiness for what I learn from YA. But again this is my own personal experience and opinion as a long time member of YA.

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:24pm
post #36 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingSugar

Now, I am wondering why everybody who loves this site are newbies? LOL Kinda strange icon_wink.gif

Although the site might be terrific, I would never pay $20 a month for a site unless it did contain free videos and info. Having to pay a fee every month and then more fees.....nope not for me.

It is possibly because they are new to baking and only recently have found out about CC through the forum discussions on YA, just like some of the CC members have never heard of YummyArts.

I am not a newbie on CC, I have been a member for nearly 2 years as well as being a member of several Yahoo groups and an owner of 2 Yahoo groups. I have been busy and haven't had time to post on the CC forum for a while, but I do check it when I have the time and have recommended it as a resource on many occasions.

I am not trying to advertise for YA, and will say that while it will not be for everyone there are many who feel it is worth the investment. I have taken a couple of classes that were quite expensive and I did learn from them, but then you get home and can't remember how they said to do something. If you own the video book you can watch it while you work or at least refer to it as many times as you need to when working on a project. IMHO

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:04pm
post #37 of 67

I'd hardly call MelZ a new CC member, and neither am I. I do take a little offense on some options. How can you judge something you are not a member of. However, Trent had some experience, I just wish she had given it a chance. Kind of the same that you are giving the newbies to this site. They judge this site with only a few posts. I guess I'm just a little insulted because I did one of those 'free' video libraries, and she says only the 'good' one you pay for. Sorry I did such a bad video, but it was intended for beginner's.

One thing for sure, Their site does come up fast, problems are fixed very fast and I don't get the 'maintenance' screen . But I love BOTH sites and each has value. No reason to dis one or the other.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #38 of 67

icon_rolleyes.gif

I have checked the site out.

I'm not trying to be mean but it was weird that 4 newbies.. I mean had never posted before posting on this. It's not being mean nor nasty to try to protect your money.

As far as CC being slow and people getting the maintenance screen... well I'd rather it have the maintenance screen every once and a while.. it's a free site... by the end of the summer gas will be 7 dollars a gallon.. sorry I guess I'll stay here with all the wonderful ppl. at cc icon_smile.gif

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:33pm
post #39 of 67

HELLO, NEWBIES!!! Welcome aboard. I'm still deciding about the membership of YA. As I said before, I did buy some videos before they started the membership, and have learned a lot. I have also learned form CC. I think I will still purchase the Cookies Made Easy video. I will do the e-books and save the $20 handling and shipping. I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF CC WENT MEMBERS ONLY?? I would have to decide if I would become a member here, just like YA. How about you????

wgoat5 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:57pm
post #40 of 67

is this YA 20.00 a month or a year?????????

cookiecakemonster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecakemonster Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:00am
post #41 of 67

I'm a member of YA. I have been doing cakes for about 4 months and i think i must be the most annoying person on yummy arts.hahahahah!!
because i'm always asking questions. I come on CC nearly every day but i dont really post here. I did ask for help a while back and got great responses and i think there are more people on CC too so there is a higher chance of getting more input but with that being said i do love YA more and i think the $20 is one of the best investments i've made in a long time.
Also like a couple of others mentioned. 2 of the decorators are always on the forum and very helpful.

i would recommend YA to anyone. If you dont like it. no one is forcing you to stay a member or become one!

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

I'd hardly call MelZ a new CC member, and neither am I. I do take a little offense on some options. How can you judge something you are not a member of. However, Trent had some experience, I just wish she had given it a chance. Kind of the same that you are giving the newbies to this site. They judge this site with only a few posts. I guess I'm just a little insulted because I did one of those 'free' video libraries, and she says only the 'good' one you pay for. Sorry I did such a bad video, but it was intended for beginner's.

One thing for sure, Their site does come up fast, problems are fixed very fast and I don't get the 'maintenance' screen . But I love BOTH sites and each has value. No reason to dis one or the other.

Sweetflowers, the video that I like needed to be bought. Im not knocking your video what so ever. I really like the grill, the shoe box, and it had some other ones, Im sorry $30.00 is just to much money to spend on a video. The video that are free, you can get them on the net , example, how do do a frozen transfer, how to make baby booties, , how to make a cupcake bouquet. So I feel some of the free ones are just that, free. you can get them already online....

Some things on YA I do like are, being able to separate your pics in different folders yourself. How the form is set up, basically it remind me of CC alot, but with a flare of its own... YA is a nice site, but it would be better if the videos came with the $20.00, even if the price was $25.00 and all the videos came with it, that would still be a steal ( their are alot of how too videos.) , who ever did the grill I have not seen one like it yet ....

I just finished reading the form they have on CC ( YES THEY HAVE A FORM) i HAVE DECIDED TO STAY. YA DOES NOT HAVE THE SLIGHTEST CLUE WHO I AM. THEY HAVE HAVE NOT BASHED ME THEY HAVE NOT SAID ANYTHING I FELT WAS NEGATIVE TOWARD CC AND I HAVE DECIDED TO STAY JUST A LITTLE BIT LONGER. I STILL WISH THE HOW TOO VIDEOS WERE A LITTLE CHEAPER, BUT THE FACT THAT THEY ARE NOT BELITTLING CC HAS MADE ME STAY LONGER, AND TO GIVE THEM A FAIR SHOT.. LIKE SOMEONE SAID "Trent did not give YA a chance, i think she is easily influenced by the fact everything have to be free for it to be good"... C ,YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT AND THATS WHY I PLAN TO STAY A LITTLE LONGER. YOU GUYS SHOULD GIVE THEM A TRY ....CC STILL ROCKS!!!!!!!! I REALLY HOPE I DO NOT GET BANNED FOR SAYING WHAT I SAID

OKOKOKOK I JUST READ MY EMAIL, I GET TO CHOSE 1 FREE VIDEO, I GUESS THAT NOT TO BAD .... THAT ROCKS thumbs_up.gif

cookiecakemonster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecakemonster Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

is this YA 20.00 a month or a year?????????

it's a monthly fee.

Str8up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Str8up Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #44 of 67

Thanks Peeg for the welcome. I am not a newbie to this site I joined in Feb. 07. Just because I had never posted before I guess I am referred to as a newbie. At one time or another we have All been newbies at one site or the other. Lets not forget that. I belonged to YA for quite awhile before I started posting (like several we have now) I just enjoyyed reading the forms and finding my way around the site. As I started reading the posts and seeing what people had to say I then felt comfortable to post some myself. I felt I knew these people and I could relate to them. Just like here I may not post, but that doesn't mean I am not a member or that I'm not reading posts or going through gallery looking at all the wonderful pictures. I love going on the web site of different Bakerys and cake shops and just looking at cakes, getting ideas, seeing what I can learn what I can offer that any of the other stores here in town does not offer.
Thanks again Peeg. Whatever you decide that is up to you. Well to answer you last questions. Some would pay it and some would not. Some would stay and other would have to find somewhere else to go.

wgoat5 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:12am
post #45 of 67

I really don't think anybody said anything BAD about YA.... my gosh if someone says it's a tad expensive I think that is how they see it.

I'm still looking for anything bad that was said...hmm

wgoat5 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #46 of 67

Ohh and I wanted to add....I'd never go on someone elses FREE site and gripe about how the FREE site is always down or slow...

Not slow for me ...

Str8up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Str8up Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #47 of 67

Trent I am glad to see that you are giving YA a chance. So I want to be one of the first to say Welcome! The grill video is really cool I have that one, but I waited until Freaky Friday and got a 10.00 coupon. Some of the videos that you see will say something about 10.00 coupon or 5.00 coupon you can also use these with the freaky friday coupon. Example you could use both and save 15.00-20.00. This is usually when I buy my videos. Like Melz said she had won twice for the free drawing on Wednesdays if you win you get your choice of free video turned on in your libary. Another favorite of mine in King Arthur castle it is awesome. Susan take you step by step (each one is done is short videos) and the gumpaste flowers love it!
Welcome again! icon_smile.gif Oh forgot the only way you can get in the drawing for Wednesday is by posting. Cindy wil explain this in the newsletter on wednesday. You can go and see last weeks news letter by going to your home page and there is a picture in the middle of the page that says video #25 click the arrow and it will play for you.

gonamaket42 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #48 of 67

I made the grill cake and there is a picture of it in my gallery. I am the one with the net butterfly as my Icon. I made that also. If you have any questions on moving around just ask there are so many people who will welcome you and help you anyway we can.

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:15am
post #49 of 67

Cobber, I understand completely, about being a newbie. When I signed up with CC and presented my first forum question, I felt humiliated and embarrased. I was told how to ask a question and to do some searching to find my answer. Oh well water under the bridge, I'm still here, but it did stop me from posting another question for a long time. I am going to order Cookies Made Easy and Maybe real soon I will join YA. Thanks for the encouragements. I NEED TO THINKKKKKK....

creilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creilly Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:21am
post #50 of 67

I too have been a member of Yummy Arts since day one and there isn't a thing about it that I don't like. The videos are done by some very creative people and they tell you everything you will need up front to make whatever is on the video. They clearly explain each step. The forum is so very helpful. If you need answers to anything either someone from the staff or another member will post an answer in a very short time. All the members are very supportive of one another. I have learned so much from Yummy Arts. Much more than I have learned from taking classes.
They also have contest just about every week with a newsletter that comes out every Wed. The contest are for just being you, number picked from forum posting or randomly chosen phtos of your cakes. The prize is a free video to add to your library. I could go non and on but I'd be typing all night. I understand being skeptical but try it and you won't regret it.

A very happy Yummy Arts Member
Carol Reilly

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:51am
post #51 of 67

I am a member of CC and also a member of YA. I really like CC but I also would never be without YA. YA has staff that is professional yet personal and caring! THey are awesome about trying to come up with new ways to benefit their members. Free videos, tutorials and recipes. As for the videos in the library that you have to purchase, they are always having specials. Yes and they have contests and give away the books in the library also. The members there are truly like family to me! They care, support, and give decorating advice when asked. Everyone is always so positive! These two sites, CC and YA, only compliment each other and are there for the purpose of teaching and supporting cake decorators, cookie and candy makers. I am grateful for both sites. Give YA a try, you'll like it too. thumbs_up.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #52 of 67

!!yummyarts rocks!! thats all I have to say

RobynD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynD Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #53 of 67

LOL -- I'm sorry but I just have to laugh goodnaturedly at the narrowmindedness of some people who have not even tried Yummy Arts and yet are so easy to blast out of the water what they don't truly know or understand. And Cobber (TC from Kansas) I am so happy to have your frinedship and support as a Yummy Arts member even though we have not met -- yet -- AND even though you are not a VP! (Now that comment really made me laugh!)

I do congratulate those of you who came to this forum to ask the Yummy Arts membership to respond to how we feel about our new family and friends at the website. Thank you for allowing us to share with you and kudos to you for asking with opened minds.

And Trent, I am so very sorry you are not happy with what you have seen so far and I respect your right to your opinion and no offense was taken. I just hope you will continue to look a little closer and maybe see what those of us who are so happy at Yummy Arts are seeing and gaining from it.

I completed my four Wilton sessions in January and yes that was a nice starting point for me. But the membership at Yummy Arts has been the growth that I have needed to build my confidence and carry me forward. I just completed my first groom's cake this past weekend (for my daugter's wedding) and I am grateful for the information and support I received from both the staff and membership in the Yummy Arts family. Heck, the friendships alone I have gained from there are worth the $19.95 not to mention the awesome videos. And don't get mislead, yes there are additional videos you have a choice to purchase or not purchase, but to me that is the same as continued education. And, NOW PAY ATTENTION - there are a lot of videos and info given without further monetary payout other than the mothnly membership. I have attined oodles of great stuff to read and view that come along with my monthly memeberhip. I LOVE THIS SITE -- and no I am not being paid to endorse it! And even though I will be considered a newbie here at Cake Central -- does that make my opinion any less important than those who have been her a long time? I think not, and I know Yummy Arts values it's new members just as much as it's long time standing ones. And, the YA membership is very complimentary of CC and many of us love this site as well. Often, there are references made by YA members suggesting that we take a look at this or that on Cake Central -- and we do.

In a nutshell, those of you who are wanting to take the jump and yet are not quite certain -- give it a try. In my opinion you cannot lose and there is so much to gain. Just my humble opinon here folks.

Robyn - Lee's Summit, MO

elainec Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:17pm
post #54 of 67

Robyn, Hope you cake went well this weekend! See you on YA. P.S> I am proud to have you as a freind. icon_biggrin.gif

elainec Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:18pm
post #55 of 67

Robyn, Hope you cake went well this weekend! See you on YA. P.S> I am proud to have you as a freind. icon_biggrin.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:35am
post #56 of 67

aww robyn well said icon_smile.gif im glad 2 have you as a friend 2

RobynD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynD Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:05am
post #57 of 67

Thanks so much Elaine & Kayla. I so enjoy the input that both of you add to the YA membership forum. Isn't it truly a joy to belong to such a neat organization that has a membership just loaded with folks who have the same passion of cake decorating and sugar art ? And has members who love to share and swap info. I've never been a forum contributor to much of anything until I joined YA. Now I can't keep myself off the YA forum -- I love it!

Robyn

elainec Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:28am
post #58 of 67

I agree. I have found one very helpful friend here with the screen name of Tonedna. She has a great tutorial on gumpaste lillies that you should watch! SHe and I have emailed each other as we both have some of the same medical problems. I am very impressed w/ her work and she is really a jewel of a person! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif
PS Kayla, I also value your friendship. I am glad that we are all family@YA.

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:09am
post #59 of 67

Well, here's my two cents on YA.

I absolutely love CC. When I first discovered CC, I donât remember how, I sat here on my computer just about the whole night just looking at the beautiful works of art that all it's members had created. I was, and still am, in awe of all of you. Like it says on the home page, I am addicted to CC.

However, I also stumbled upon YA and eventually fell in love there too. Notice I said eventually. I was very skeptical of YA because it was a paid site, and because I am so loyal to CC, I don't think I really wanted to like YA; I didn't want to be disloyal to CC I guess.

I lurked around YA for a long time before I decided to participate, just checking out the site and its members, and seeing for myself if they truly were what they claimed to be. I must tell you all, they are all they proclaimed and so much more.

For a newbie to cakes and both here on CC and YA, I have learned so much from the members on both sites. Unfortunately, I am a visual learner, so there are some things, no matter how much you explain it, that just don't make sense to me until I see it, and that's what makes YA such a great place for me, along with their wonderful members and staff.

I understand where a lot of CC members are coming from; I was in that same place too. But once I discovered the invaluable lessons to be learned from their videos, and the experienced firsthand the willingness of the people there to lend a helping hand by sharing whatever knowledge they can at YA, I had to have a change of heart.

I love both sites equally, for different reasons, but I love them both the same, and I couldn't imagine living without either, paid or unpaid. By the way, I am also a contributor of $ to CC, and happily so.

We shouldn't knock something we have no idea about (that includes me), at least until we've done the research to support our thoughts and opinions. Then, if we find it's not for us, just let it go and move on.

Sugarflour2 ("Sweet-T")

elainec Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #60 of 67

Sugarflour2, well said. I also enjoy both sites, YA just feels more like a family at this point! And Michael is always giving, you would think he's Santa! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%