Super Market Cakes?

Decorating By Merry1227 Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm by cakegal

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 35

What type of cake do the super markets use?
I would like to try and make a sheet cake for a up coming event. My cakes are good but I want to get the same density, texture, and flavor as my local Giant.

Thanks
Merry

34 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 35

If someone told me my cakes tasted like a grocery store cake, I'd break down in tears.

Merry1227 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 35

really, I like them. I think its like a pound cake, but not sure. Mine always seem to have a lot of air bubbles. I really wanted to know how to get rid of them. My cake are good but I feel they are just like box cake mix. It's hard to explain what I want. But I know the store cakes are the look I want.

Thanks Merry

indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 35

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ok, being a box mixer, I promise not to be insulted by that remark! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I sift my cake mix. I also bang the snot out of the cake pan right before it goes into the oven. No air holes ... nice and firm texture..... may I even say a GORGEOUS texture! I also mix everything in THEN add the oil dead last. The batter is silky smooth.

Merry1227 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #5 of 35

Ok I'll give that a try

Merry

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:44am
post #6 of 35

I like to add a cup of sour cream to my mix, it changes the texture a bit icon_smile.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #7 of 35

ok... here's what I do (and yes, I use box mixes and NO ONE believes me)

1 box cake mix
1 box pudding mix (4 serving size - small box) same flavor or complimentary flavor to cake flavor
1 cup sour cream
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. water or milk (depends on my mood LOL)
4 medium eggs

I also sift the cake mix before mixing and bang the poo outta that pan once the batter is in it (though, i don't bother add the oil at the end - i mix it all together on low for about 30 secs and then on medium/low (# 2 on my KA) for about 2 1/2 to 3 mins.

makes an incredibly moist, yet very dense (great for carving) cake. i've never heard one single complaint about my cakes (usually its "OMG! This is go freakin' good" then I tell 'em its just a mix (ha) and they are like "NO FREAKIN' WAY! My mixes never taste like this" (duh, you don't doctor yours the way I do - HAHA)

anyway, try it, you'll love it!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #8 of 35

are bubbles are usually from mixing too long...

foxymomma521 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:03am
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

1 box cake mix
1 box pudding mix (4 serving size - small box) same flavor or complimentary flavor to cake flavor
1 cup sour cream
1/2 c. oil
4 medium eggs

I also sift the cake mix before mixing and bang the poo outta that pan once the batter is in it (though, i don't bother add the oil at the end - i mix it all together on low for about 30 secs and then on medium/low (# 2 on my KA) for about 2 1/2 to 3 mins.

makes an incredibly moist, yet very dense (great for carving) cake. i've never heard one single complaint about my cakes (usually its "OMG! This is go freakin' good" then I tell 'em its just a mix (ha) and they are like "NO FREAKIN' WAY! My mixes never taste like this" (duh, you don't doctor yours the way I do - HAHA)

This is actually my recipe exactly!! icon_biggrin.gif I think the SC is what changes the texture, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe!!

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:44am
post #10 of 35

Do you add the ingredients that the cake mix ask for in the back or just these?
Sorry but I sometimes need a map...

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:01am
post #11 of 35

i want to know the same as sjmoral

foxymomma521 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:48am
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmoral

Do you add the ingredients that the cake mix ask for in the back or just these?
Sorry but I sometimes need a map...

ignore the back of the box and use these instead thumbs_up.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:42pm
post #13 of 35

OMG... icon_surprised.gif I would die if I was told mycakes tasted like a store cake!!!! icon_cry.gif I use a box mix...DH...and then I also bang the heck out of the filled pan cake to get the bubbles out...also make sure your stove/oven is leveled...in some houses there not...not that it has anything to do with the texture of the cake...was just saying. icon_biggrin.gif

Im told my cakes are very Fresh, and Moist...and very very Yummy....thank you DH's...

nesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:00am
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

1 box cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 c. oil
4 medium eggs

Totally silly question but how many large eggs would you use for this? Thanks!

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:11am
post #15 of 35

Use the same, 4. I also use box mixes, but I dont use the sour cream. I thought I was the only one that beat my pans to death before putting them in the oven!!!!!!!!

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:41am
post #16 of 35

I too would be a tad insulted if someone said "your cake tastes just like the store cakes"........for me the whole purpose of exposing my family to my hobby is for them to see that the stores have nothing on me icon_wink.gif

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:47am
post #17 of 35

I also use the same recipe as butterflywings and it always turns out perfect and super delicious! I absolutely love that recipe!

Merry1227 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:29pm
post #18 of 35

OK, I'm sorry. I use boxes too, but I don't want people to think They could have just baked the cake themself.
Thanks for all the help
Merry

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:11pm
post #19 of 35

I'm a "pan beater" too!! icon_biggrin.gif

Merry1227 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:20pm
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

OMG... icon_surprised.gif I would die if I was told mycakes tasted like a store cake!!!! icon_cry.gif I use a box mix...DH...and then I also bang the heck out of the filled pan cake to get the bubbles out...also make sure your stove/oven is leveled...in some houses there not...not that it has anything to do with the texture of the cake...was just saying. icon_biggrin.gif

Im told my cakes are very Fresh, and Moist...and very very Yummy....thank you DH's...

I do know that the oven here is not level, but we rent and I don't want to complain, unless I decide to make this my job.

Merry

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #21 of 35

I really wouldn't want my cake to taste like something someone can get at a grocery store. Why use me if they can get it for less?

I want to 'believe' that people want or like my cake because it taste better.

Just experiment with some recipes or doctor up some box mixes and YES bang the heck out of the pan before baking and it'll help with the holes.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #22 of 35

okay can someone tell me exactly how you bang the pans? cause when i do it it makes this horrible noise and i usually bake at night and i don't wanna wake people up. icon_smile.gif

tia!

indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

okay can someone tell me exactly how you bang the pans? cause when i do it it makes this horrible noise and i usually bake at night and i don't wanna wake people up. icon_smile.gif

tia!

you bang the pans by banging it on the counter. Sorry, but it's a noise making process.

you might try to cushion the sound by laying a thick bath towel on the counter. But "banging" and "noise" usually go together.

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:30pm
post #24 of 35

Merry,
The stoves (as long as its not TOO old) have those feet on the bottom that you can turn (like a screw) to raise or lower a side. Check to see if yours has that, and if so just get a level, and a hubby/boyfriend/friend to help you level it yourself. It took about half an hour of "this side up, this side down" but we leveled ours.
BTW, I too am a cake banger and the above recipe is the same as mine with the exception of the sour cream. EVERYONE loves it.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:31pm
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

But "banging" and "noise" usually go together.

Just ask my 20 month old son. It's one of his favorite activities, not banging cake pans to get out air bubbles but banging in general.

Merry1227 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:41pm
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushbug9

Merry,
The stoves (as long as its not TOO old) have those feet on the bottom that you can turn (like a screw) to raise or lower a side. Check to see if yours has that, and if so just get a level, and a hubby/boyfriend/friend to help you level it yourself. It took about half an hour of "this side up, this side down" but we leveled ours.
BTW, I too am a cake banger and the above recipe is the same as mine with the exception of the sour cream. EVERYONE loves it.

Thanks BUT...It's a wall unit, I've looked for "Feet" and dont see them. I might have to take off the molding...But it's not that bad. I just can't bake big sheet cakes in it.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:49pm
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

But "banging" and "noise" usually go together.

indydebi, I love reading your posts, you always find a way to crack me up!

When I was little my Aunt taught me to bang my pans and I thought she was nuts, but I have now too become a banger! LOL!!
Since I have started baking I can not see wasting the calories on a store bought cake! I tried a cupcake from my sons cake walk at school and could not eat it! I have been spoiled from all the recepies I have found here!

troyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
troyfan Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:52pm
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry1227

What type of cake do the super markets use?
I would like to try and make a sheet cake for a up coming event. My cakes are good but I want to get the same density, texture, and flavor as my local Giant.

Thanks
Merry

Try this http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2273-White-Cake.html
I'm pretty sure this is what you are looking for!!!!!!
I added an extra egg

bathoryjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bathoryjones Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #29 of 35

For the doctored cake mix recipe on page 1 of this post, what temp do you bake it at?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm
post #30 of 35

Why don't you just go to the store, and ask if you can buy undecorated layers. No dishes to wash this way.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%