Black Onyx Cake

Decorating By carisa Updated 14 Jan 2007 , 4:22am by Crimsicle

carisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carisa Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 3:08am
post #1 of 18

I have a request for a cake to look like it has a black onyx finish. I will start with black fondant, but what do I use to make the metallic finish? Is there a black lustre dust? Do I mix it with the fondant or apply on top of the fondant? Has anyone done this before? Do I use a brush or does it have to be airbrushed for a smooth, even finish?
Also, how does Italian meringue buttercream hold up under fondant? I have only ever used Wilton's buttercream under my fondant cakes.
Thanks in advance!!

17 replies
sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 3:14am
post #2 of 18

I've never used luster dust before, but from the look of the cakes on here that have it on them, it more makes them sparkle, not shine. Maybe you could use a thin coat of piping gel to make it shine? HTH.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 3:22am
post #3 of 18

I am thinking of black onyx as being a solid colored stone. Are you thinking of one with gold marbleing in the onyx itself? The black fondant from Satin Ice is shiny when applied and smoothed so that will take care of the shine you want. If you want it extra shiny you can brush it lightly with Crisco on the palm of your hand, brush back and forth with a paintbrush and the warmth of your hand will slightly melt the Crisco. Then just brush it onto the fondant covered cake.

If there are going to be metallic gold abstract lines across the surface you could use Old Gold luster dust mixed with Everclear, if you want a shiny bright gold you could use the same Old Gold but mix a bit of Super Pearl Luster dust in with the gold before adding the alcohol. You could paint an abstract line with a fine artists paintbrush and then smear it lightly with a dry paint brush.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 3:55am
post #4 of 18

I've seen several posts recommending putting a "thin layer of piping gel" on things to make them shiny. I just want to say that in general, this isn't a good idea. The piping gel is sticky and it takes longer to dry than the time the cake will be in existence. It collects dust and other "goodies" from the air and environment around the cake, so if the cake sits out for any amount of time, it may wind up looking like a lint filter from the dryer. Crisco is more forgiving, for some reason, as it seems to impart a shine without the stick.

JMHO--and experience.
Rae

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 18

also rolled buttercream is very shiny. You can add p.s to get more a matte finish on it if you want. You could cover the cake with it and then dry dust with luster dust on gold or super paerl dusts.

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

It collects dust and other "goodies" from the air and environment around the cake, so if the cake sits out for any amount of time, it may wind up looking like a lint filter from the dryer.

YUCK! thumbsdown.gif Guess I didn think of this aspect! That might not be too attractive icon_confused.gif

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 18

Thanks for the crisco tip. that will come in handy/ as far as the lusterdust is concerned, there is one called moonstone that is a dark grey and when applied to black it gives it a nice glow but does not turn it grey. might want to try that. make sure to post a pic to let us know how it goes!

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 18

In my photos is a picture of a fish I did with luster dust, it is shiny. I covered the fish with fondant (I did not color it). I then brushed it with silver luster dust. I just brushed it on dry, I did not mix it and paint it on. The blue is also luster dust. I'm guessing that if you want it a dark black you should probably color the fondant. It might be a good idea, if you decide to use luster dust, is to practice with it on fondant.

kimheflin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimheflin Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:50am
post #9 of 18

I am wanting some black fondant. Can it be made myself or is it something hthat has to be ordered to get the dark black color? I noticed a post mentioning Satin Ice. How do you order from Satin Ice? Is there any other place you can get it?

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 5:46am
post #10 of 18

You can make it yourself...mmf colored with Americolors super black. I have used it and lemme tell ya, it gets BLACK.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 5:59am
post #11 of 18

Onyx is not metallic, it is shiny. Are you thinking of hematite, the black stone that reflects like gunmetal?

If you want true onyx, I would airbrush it, then if necessary, spray it with cake lacquer. For hematite, I would go with a custom mixture of black powder color, moonstone luster dust, and a bit of super pearl, all mixed with Everklear or the strongest proof vodka I could get my hands on.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Wendoger Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 6:04am
post #12 of 18

I dont have an airbrush...but I sure want oneicon_wink.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 6:14am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

You can make it yourself...mmf colored with super black. I have used it and lemme tell ya, it gets BLACK.

You don't have to start off with another color, and it really turns black? I bought some but didn't use any yet.

Wendoger Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 6:42am
post #14 of 18

No way...it really gets black....I needed tires....and it worked great.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 6:50am
post #15 of 18

To get black without using too much gel you could start with chocolate fondant made with dutch process cocoa. That gets it a very dark brown.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 7:01am
post #16 of 18

you can get a nice shine on your black or other wise fondant if you steam it.

You can get a small kettle, boil water in it and give it a couple of passes on your cake..

and before the Chicken Littles of CC posts gloom and doom...I'm SURE that you can handle a steaming teapot..lol

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 1:46am
post #17 of 18

I have a small, handheld travel steamer (? My Li'l Steamer from Joy Mangano) that I use to steam gumpaste flowers. It puts out such a nice fine mist that when you pass it over the gumpaste, you get a beautiful gloss--can't get too close to fine details, though, because it's hot enough to melt the things and you can get water droplets, too.

That's a great idea for adding shine to fondant--thanks, Risque.

Rae

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 4:22am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I've seen several posts recommending putting a "thin layer of " on things to make them shiny. I just want to say that in general, this isn't a good idea. The is sticky and it takes longer to dry than the time the cake will be in existence. It collects dust and other "goodies" from the air and environment around the cake, so if the cake sits out for any amount of time, it may wind up looking like a lint filter from the dryer. Crisco is more forgiving, for some reason, as it seems to impart a shine without the stick.

I second the warning about piping gel. I used it to cover the entire top of a cake once, and it became like this plastic goo! Stuck to the knife when I tried to slice it...pulled up in a big gloppy mess and brought a lot of the buttercream with it. UGH! What a disgusting sight! I will only use the stuff in tiny spots now.

But, back to the issue at hand. When I want a shiny fondant, I grease my hands with Crisco - just a little dab'll do ya - and kind of BUFF the surface of the fondant with the open palm of my hand. Makes a really nice, sniny finish.

JMHO--and experience.
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%