I Just Made The Worst Tasting Cake...

Decorating By raquel1 Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm by punkinpie

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:17am
post #1 of 11

My sister in law requested a cake made with Splenda for her daughter's b-day. I normally do not make any cakes that are sugar free, I figure that if you can't have sugar, don't eat cake or just have a small piece (not very sensitive, I know) This is a person that drinks diet coke with her hamburger and thinks it's balanced... Well, I made my buttermilk white cake that is always great until now, made with Splenda it didn't rise well and tastes like death! I had to make another cake and used part of the death cake as a topper (for her and her daughter). Well never again!

10 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:06am
post #2 of 11

I am so sorry..ugh!
I cannot stand the taste of Splenda either..yuck. I know there are some recipes out there that use Splenda on purpose, so I am sure they work a bit better than just subbing it in a regular cake recipe (cake NEEDS that sugar for the chemical reactions to work properly! icon_wink.gif) but I am with you...there are better sugar-free desserts than cake! icon_biggrin.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:24am
post #3 of 11

If you use at least 1/2 the regular sugar and less than 1/2 in equal amount of Splenda, it will give you better results.

As a diabetic, Iwould rather have a small piece of great cake, than a larger piece of something less than great, or even awful.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:33am
post #4 of 11

Thank you for saying that, JoAnnB, as a Diabetic, because I feel the same as Raquel1... have a little good cake instead of bad cake! I believe in real ingredients & not causing everyone else to have a bad dessert. My MIL is Diabetic & I reduce my normal amount of sugar used in chocolae cream pie, and I purchase good quality items which are also sugar free... and she knows that she shouldn't have any sweets before she comes over for a party. So, Raquel1, I feel that you & I agree on this topic; however I disagree that we are not sympathetic for the dietary needs of others. We do feel for them! I would also like to point out that there are WAY too many dietary issues for you to make everyone happy, all the time... if it were up to me, we would live on chocolate & chocolate milk. =) Don't compromise your recipes though, no more death cake, ha ha!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:42am
post #5 of 11

Well, I'm also a diabetic, and there are ways to fit cake into your diet. It's all about portion size, and I'm with y'all, I'd rather have a small piece of great cake than any that doesn't taste good.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 11

I have tried numerous diabetic cake recipes and did not find any that were edible!! Even my husband...who will eat anything, didn't like it!!

We're all used to the light, fluffy texture of a cake. All the diabetic cakes were very coarse, and had the the texture of week old cornbread!!

One time I had someone ask me for a diabetic cake for a coworker, they wanted the whole thing sugar free, I refused to do it, especially after I saw the diabetic person loading his plate full of pie and cookies at a Thanksgiving dinner!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 11

On another thread someone mentioned using a natural sweetener called "whey low" for baking. I bought some and it's awesome! It's safe for diabetics, and has 75%fewer calories than sugar. Maybe you can try it? I use it in my coffe too and REALLY can't tell the difference!

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 11

I know exactly how you feel. I made a pumpkin roll and filling once with splenda. It was so nasty! I use it (mixed w/equal parts of sugar) for coffee, tea and koolaid. Bu after the pumpkin roll, never attempted to bake with it again.

JMarieSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMarieSweets Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 11

I was just wondering about splenda in cakes. I recently had gastric bypass and i am afraid of sugar as to what it can do. Guess I will stick to decorating cakes and not eating them for now icon_cry.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 11

My grandma is always making cakes and things with Splenda b/c my GD is a diabetic. Honestly, it doesn't taste very good! Baking is very specific and when you add something with a different molecular structure, it will turn out differently.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 11

Here are some tips from the Splenda website that might help
http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml?id=splenda/cookingbaking/nocal_tips.inc

It also says:

'can be used almost anywhere you use sugar in cooking and baking â but its baking properties are different from sugar'

Their website has lot's of recipes too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%