Any Cake Tips For Hot Weather?

Decorating By Afterezra Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 3:14am by Afterezra

Afterezra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afterezra Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 5

A friend asked me to make a birthday cake for a party that's going to be at a park. It will be in the eighties and very humid. She wants bc and no fondant. Does the cake stand a chance?

Thanks,
Tara

PS This is my first cake for someone I'm not related to. Please be gentle. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 5

If the cake is very cold, boxed, and stored out of the sun, it will be fine for at least a couple of hours. Make one that fits into a cooler, and it will last along time (put put blue ice under the cake)

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 5

Is there any place you can keep the cake out of the heat until time to serve it? I don't think BC will last long in 80 degree weather, especially if its humid.

Has she tasted you fondants? Some people have only had Wiltons, which tastes horrid, imho.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 5

We live in Florida and I tell everyone I will not do a buttercream cake for an outside event unless it's winter. But, you can warn her ahead that buttercream does not do well in heat, and it's at her own risk.

Afterezra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afterezra Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the suggestions.

My friend considers buttercream a birthday tradition so that's why she's so set on that.

My plan is to keep it in the fridge until we leave. Then I think if I turn the cooler sideways, the cake should fit in there. I'll remind her that the cake is going to have to stay in the cooler until they're ready for it.

Do you think that's feasible? Is fondant the best way to go for summer cakes? Am I a bad friend if I pray for rain? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%