Beach Cake With Graham Cracker Crumbs

Decorating By JLG Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm by SugarMama602

JLG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLG Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 15

I'm going to attempt to make a beach/boating cake for my husbands 40th birthday. I saw a few pictures where they used graham cracker crumbs for the beach ontop of the cake. My question, how does this taste with the cake itself? Is it a good combination for taste? I personally can't eat it due to a food allergy, so I'm relying on others who have had this in the past.

Thanks! Any tips or if anyone else has done anytype of beach/boating cake I'd love to hear advise. My husband has a speed boat and loves boating so his party is a beach/boating theme.

Janet

14 replies
didivella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didivella Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 15

I've used graham cracker crumbs on cakes and cupcakes for sand quite a few times and they taste and work out great.

Good Luck
Diane

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 15

. . . this one uses brown and white sugar to achieve sand . . . http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1237248

christy633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christy633 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 15

I've used them on a beach and golf cake - they taste just fine - mostly you don't taste them at all!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 15

I used granulated brown sugar on my last beach cake and it worked great. Of course, it just tastes like brown sugar. It's Domino brand "Brownulated Light Brown Sugar". I couldn't find it at Walmart, but other stores may carry it (my mom gave me this bag).

I've heard others use ground up Nilla Wafers. You might like that flavor better.

Otherwise, I like the taste of graham crackers, so I'm sure it'll taste great with the icing. It's a cookie, after all!!

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 15

I worried about that myself when I made a cake for Father's Day for DH. It worked out fine. I was worried that graham flavor would overwhelm the BC, but it didn't. I did not add alot to the top but used alot around the sides.

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 15

I used brown sanding sugar for an Ariel cake I did once. The sugar has a sparkle to it without the cracker taste. I've used g.crackers before...unless I pressed it into the b/c you could almost brush it off.

Paula

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 15

I like Graham crackers instead of brown sugar. The brown sugar I find it just to sweet. It's a personal taste.

You can even buy it pre-crumbled.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 15

You can use brown sugar, graham crackers, and cookies for "sand".

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 15
kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 15

For the pirate cake in my pics I used crushed Nilla wafers and sprinkled some sparkly yellow/gold sugar on top.

I also tinted my buttercream a light tan color so I wouldn't have to use a lot of crumbs.

I personally don't like crunchy things like sprinkles and stuff on cake, but the crumbs softened up overnight and you couldn't really taste them.

HTH

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 15

I have also used teddy grahams (cookies) which are really just graham crackers huh!
LOL.
Sometimes i think I am living up to my full blond hair potential !!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 15

I just crushed some vanilla oreo cookies for sand. I twisted them open and removed most of the cream before I put them in a zip bag and had at them with the bottom of a cake pan, LOL. I also tinted the buttercream tan so I wouldn't have to use as much sand.

Tasted great.

Good luck!

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #14 of 15

I don't care for the taste of graham crackers, so I use crushed sandies. I like that they are the same color all the way through.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 15

In my pics I did a retirement cake and I used crunched up rice krispies. Not much flavor to them - just a little crunch. I also tinted my buttercream a "sand" color to punch up the color a bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%