Bride Wants Cake To Look Like Box (No Fondant)

Decorating By 1dessertdiva Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm by 1dessertdiva

1dessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1dessertdiva Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 6

I frosted the cake with SMBC, I was thinking of using an ivory colored royal icing to make the Faux lid. Any suggestions, it's due today?!
THANKS!!!!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 6

Yeah, if the box is closed, and you're just showing the box lid like a closed shoe box, just get a real wide real big rose tip and pipe the lid effect around the top ledge with the smbc.

buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 6

yeah or even the icer tip, then it goes on evenly and straight, and "grabs" on with the zigzaggy grabby side (yes, that is technical lingo ladies) then you can go over very carefully with a small sngled spatula around the bottom edge of the lid to touch up/blend in any of the jagged (ok but really..what would/do you call that? the toothed edge? i should just stop trying here) edge that might be bulging or showing a bit from the icer tip. i always liked this a bit better than the rose tip, as then you get a more defined box lid, and the icing is coming out in an even line as opposed to the lrg rose tips and their tapered-ness. (<-- more technical lingo)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 6

Yeah for sure what she said ^^^ good call. Icer tip or large basket weave tip. Or it you don't have a icer tip you could hack up a rose tip. Smoosh open the skinny end so both ends open about the same amount.

But I would not use royal because it will contrast too much. You want it to all look the same.

Or or or just lay a little piece of fondant on top that overlaps--but it's gotta be a square cake--give us some more information because I have a day off and my thyroid says, "do absolutely nothing" and I'm like "ok ok don't be so pushy already."

icon_lol.gif

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercream_dreams

yeah or even the icer tip, then it goes on evenly and straight, and "grabs" on with the zigzaggy grabby side (yes, that is technical lingo ladies) then you can go over very carefully with a small sngled spatula around the bottom edge of the lid to touch up/blend in any of the jagged (ok but really..what would/do you call that? the toothed edge? i should just stop trying here) edge that might be bulging or showing a bit from the icer tip. i always liked this a bit better than the rose tip, as then you get a more defined box lid, and the icing is coming out in an even line as opposed to the lrg rose tips and their tapered-ness. (<-- more technical lingo)

heyyyy it must be technical lingo cuz i know it too! like for example... the stuff that's kinda sparkly... and shiny... and like sandish kinda that you sprinkle on cakes? it's called sparkly shiny sandish stuff that you sprinkle on cakes!

ha i'm a professional.

(btw if anyone is out of the loop as far as technical lingo goes... i was talking about luster dust. ha.)

1dessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1dessertdiva Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 6

OK, I had to leave the house before the replies rolled in so here's what I did>>
I made a small lid of fondant anyway (no charge to bride) the cake called for royal icing embellishment on the lid which was also brushed with super pearl. It turned out great, the Bride hugged me so hard it hurt (in a good way) Thanks for all the suggestions, I LOVE this place!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%